Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

"The customer is always right" is a motto or slogan which exhorts service staff to give a high priority to customer satisfaction. It was popularised by pioneering and successful retailers such as Harry Gordon Selfridge, John Wanamaker and Marshall Field. They advocated that customer complaints should be treated seriously so that they should not feel cheated or deceived. This attitude was novel and influential when misrepresentation was rife and caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) was a common legal maxim. Variations include "le client n'a jamais tort" (the customer is never wrong) which was the slogan of hotelier César Ritz who said, "If a diner complains about a dish or the wine, immediately remove it and replace it, no questions asked.".

However it was pointed out as early as 1915 that there can be an issue with customer dishonesty and that a careful medium between the two extremes must be made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_cus...s_always_right

Old 10-05-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've only ever had ONE person request a "specific" cut height and that "height" was "cut it shorter next time!"

I took the time to politely explain why I cut at the height I did.
"Yeah, well it doesn't last long enough - cut it shorter."

Looking across the small 25'x30' lawn all you saw was even cut - SCALP - even cut - even cut - SCALP - SCALP - even cut...

"Hey, don't cut it so short next time, you scalped it!"

No sh.t, Sherlock.

The customer is not always right.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
"The customer is always right" is a motto or slogan which exhorts service staff to give a high priority to customer satisfaction. It was popularised by pioneering and successful retailers such as Harry Gordon Selfridge, John Wanamaker and Marshall Field. They advocated that customer complaints should be treated seriously so that they should not feel cheated or deceived. This attitude was novel and influential when misrepresentation was rife and caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) was a common legal maxim. Variations include "le client n'a jamais tort" (the customer is never wrong) which was the slogan of hotelier César Ritz who said, "If a diner complains about a dish or the wine, immediately remove it and replace it, no questions asked.".

However it was pointed out as early as 1915 that there can be an issue with customer dishonesty and that a careful medium between the two extremes must be made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_cus...s_always_right
The customer is not always right, I hear them out, but explain to them my reasoning for not wanting to do something. Usually, they end up saying, "well you're an expert" and drop it. I'm no expert, as even the most seasoned guys still learn something new all the time, but usually I know more than they do. If the customer knew more than me, they'd be doing their own landscaping and not hiring me to do it for them.

You can't learn everything from books and mowing prison grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
The customer is not always right, I hear them out, but explain to them my reasoning for not wanting to do something. Usually, they end up saying, "well you're an expert" and drop it. I'm no expert, as even the most seasoned guys still learn something new all the time, but usually I know more than they do. If the customer knew more than me, they'd be doing their own landscaping and not hiring me to do it for them.

You can't learn everything from books and mowing prison grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I just took on 6 fresh Jamur yards. 2 months old and got buzzed to 2" by a 60" rotary. I showed them a few passes with my McLane and they were sold. My spray guy can heal the scabs and I can take care of the rest. High end yards at 300 to 550 a month each. These will be my babies until I get a few guys up to reel speed. You got me worried now about my fancy bush hog. Is it really worth it for the greensmaster you spoke about? I got to work with what I got for now. My McLane hasn't paid for itself yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
I call the ztr rotary mowers and the WB rotaries fancy bush hogs. People here do use them on zoysia or bermuda and wonder why the lawn is converting to weeds. Kudos to you for not running an HRC or Snapper 21" on a zoysia lawn. Those mowers are best saved for centipede or St Augustine with the deck jacked up as high as it will go. A McLane is an improvement over those mowers However there is not enough weight on that mower to keep the grass thin and two side wheels with casters in the front will find every defect in the ground. The Greensmaster runs on a cast iron grooved roller that does not smash down the grass and a large diameter rear roller that enables it to track across uneven turf without diving into every imperfection. I got mine very cheap because a golf course was retiring their fleet. You might want to look into getting an old one or an old Jacobsen walk behind greensmower. I did have to make a modification to the height adjustment system. I had to fabricate a stud bolt and cut threads onto the front roller bracket bolt so my height of cut now ranges from 1/2-11/2 or more. OEM was 3/32-1/2.

I hope your spray guy knows not to starve zoysia being kept at the right height. The starvation diets advocated by universities are applicable to zoysia that will not be cut correctly. They know the lawn will not be reel cut. Keep it at 1" or less and there will be less humidity in the turf canopy. However, you or your spray guy will see a lot of dollar spot if the grass is not getting enough N per month. If you are collecting clippings, which is not necessary if you are mowing regularly, NPK + micronutrients will be lost. Conversely, I will not apply to a zoysia lawn that is rotary cut. It turns in to an overgrown mess that is torture for whoever is cutting that lawn.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-05-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I call the ztr rotary mowers and the WB rotaries fancy bush hogs. People here do use them on zoysia or bermuda and wonder why the lawn is converting to weeds. Kudos to you for not running an HRC or Snapper 21" on a zoysia lawn. Those mowers are best saved for centipede or St Augustine with the deck jacked up as high as it will go. A McLane is an improvement over those mowers However there is not enough weight on that mower to keep the grass thin and two side wheels with casters in the front will find every defect in the ground. The Greensmaster runs on a cast iron grooved roller that does not smash down the grass and a large diameter rear roller that enables it to track across uneven turf without diving into every imperfection. I got mine very cheap because a golf course was retiring their fleet. You might want to look into getting an old one or an old Jacobsen walk behind greensmower. I did have to make a modification to the height adjustment system. I had to fabricate a stud bolt and cut threads onto the front roller bracket bolt so my height of cut now ranges from 1/2-11/2 or more. OEM was 3/32-1/2.

I hope your spray guy knows not to starve zoysia being kept at the right height. The starvation diets advocated by universities are applicable to zoysia that will not be cut correctly. They know the lawn will not be reel cut. Keep it at 1" or less and there will be less humidity in the turf canopy. However, you or your spray guy will see a lot of dollar spot if the grass is not getting enough N per month. If you are collecting clippings, which is not necessary if you are mowing regularly, NPK + micronutrients will be lost. Conversely, I will not apply to a zoysia lawn that is rotary cut. It turns in to an overgrown mess that is torture for whoever is cutting that lawn.
My guy is top shelf so no worries on the feeding. Going to take a little time to get it as smooth as we want for a proper mowing. I think 2" is as low as I can ever get it. Too many century old oaks that I can only get so close. Despite the trees they are well trimmed do let plenty of sun penetrate the canopy. Just using the reel and reduced width greatly improved the cut appearence. No rotary will ever give it the cut these folks wanted. I really felt the pressure when they were grilling me. They spent a fortune on their yards and want them to look it. Best part is this is Tampa's old money area. The Island was literally built for the 1% crowd. I hope to become THE full service provider of that area. I looked around for a greensmaster and I might have to bite the bullet, but not until I get way more accounts. I like my McLane but I'm afraid its not going to hold its accuracy with constant use. I've got the basic regimen down but I dont call myself an expert at setting them up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 10-05-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A Greensmaster will track over uneven lawns. I use my Greensmaster on a couple of lawns that have been deemed too uneven to be cut by a reel. Mclanes are not the best at more than 5/8". They float over zoysia that is thick. The local lawn people use McLanes set at 3/8". This mower just does not perform well at the higher heights of cut. The Tru-Cut is even worse. It plain does not work on thick grass or ground that is the slightest bit uneven. Most of the big companies here use Tru-Cut.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Imo if your only going to keep HOC at 2", i would buy a Trucut. I maintain a diamond zoysia lawn at. 75" and my 20" does just fine. .5" it gets a little iffy but there's no need to keep it at that height. Im not familiar with Jamur but if its a dwarf variety it can def be cut lower than 2".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jamur is one of those wide leaf varieties. Similar to El Toro, but hopefully not as woody. Tru-Cuts would be a terrific mower if they used a grooved roller in front and a roller to drive the mower rather than the casters and side wheels. I do like the on the fly adjustment of height, but that is the only thing I like about those mowers.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this has been an interesting read! haha