Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cool stuff man! Keep the pics comin'!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have more pics coming, just getting them off my phone is a little time consuming. I wish I had more of the tunnel job, that job was pretty wild but it seems like every time I got pulled out of my normal duty to help out somewhere, I didn't have a moment to take pictures.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-03-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First photo is when the first machine holed through. Tunnel length was 2.11 miles each with 16 micro tunnels or cross passages connecting them throughout the run. The cross passages serve as electrical junction areas and emergency egress once the tunnel is operational and running light rail trains.

Second photo is at the yard making a pick with our 4100

Third is our concrete hauling situation. We had 4 of these 12 yard front discharge trucks. We bought them somewhere back east, all of them were pretty much not operational so the mechanics had their work cut out for them when they arrived. These trucks were used to transport mud so the flat bottom, or invert, of the tunnel could be poured first and the sidewalks came second. I drove one for about 3 weeks filling in for a guy on the sidewalk pouring crew. Absolutely wild, 30MPH going head first, backing out was about 15-20MPH. Clearance was fairly minimal, even worse when we started pouring sidewalks as the forms stuck out so far into the alignment it was inches on each side. Trucks were automatics thankfully, had quite a few lights on them as well as backup cameras. Tunnel foot traffic was strictly prohibited when trucks were hauling mud, even with the cameras at the speeds we needed to run, it was too much of a risk. The invert pouring crew was hauling 300 yards of mud a day, which would pour about 600 feet of finished tunnel floor.

Last photo was a little project I worked on at our training grounds. I needed 2 weeks of training hours to complete my apprenticeship and journey out so I took dozer despite not having been on one for almost 2 years.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very Cool!

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

that's absolutely cool. I don't how I'd like working with inches to spare at 30 mph but I imagine it's a rush or a pucker moment. Impressive tunnel.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
that's absolutely cool. I don't how I'd like working with inches to spare at 30 mph but I imagine it's a rush or a pucker moment. Impressive tunnel.
It was pretty wild, probably one of the most intense "operating" situations I've ever been in. Just like anything else, you get it figured out eventually and it's not too bad. When the invert pours first started, they weren't running in very far to pour, so the runs got longer as they worked toward the halfway point. This gave the guys enough time to learn the truck and ease into going fast. I got thrown to the wolves, I was filling in for a guy and we were just about halfway, or 1 mile, into the tunnel and we needed to run wide open for 10-12 hours a day. Once we reached about halfway, we put 2 trucks at the other portal and poured from that end of the job so the longest runs were about 1 mile in, 1 mile out. Going in reverse was all about watching 1 mirror, we would use sightlines off the truck to line up on the pipe running along the tunnel. Needless to say, it was crazy but some of the coolest stuff I've ever seen was on that job.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Being thrown to the wolves is how I learned firefighting.
Not a bad way to learn but geez.. I wish I had more time in the classroom.

At those speeds with big trucks, one mistake can do a lot of damage. I'm impressed. Would have made a great go cam video.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-04-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really regret not getting any video. I've since purchased a nice point and shoot camera that shoots HD video and a nice suction cup mount for it so I never miss out on capturing anything like that again.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like the pictures. What was the tunnel for?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Like the pictures. What was the tunnel for?
It's for our Sound Transit light rail system.