Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Anybody ever use an e-mail advertising campaign?

Anybody ever use an e-mail advertising campaign? The price of e-mail data seems very reasonable. I thought of sending cards first, then e-mail. I'm targeting a specific subdivision.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use mailchimp.com However, we do not purchase emails; they all come from past, current, or prospective customers that we interact with over email.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I would run far away from buying an email list. It will be a bunch of people that don't know who you are, haven't given you permission to email them, and don't appreciate you trying to sell to them without any understanding of their needs.

You would be better off building an email list yourself, likely much smaller, but full of highly targeted customers and potential customers. Then, build a relationship with them over time through value-driven emails.

You suggested sending a card first. This is a good idea. The call to action on the card could be to sign up to your email list. The trick is, that you need to give them a reason to want to sign up. What value are you going to give them? Could be as simple as putting together a 1 page Cheat Sheet for caring for your lawn.

Essentially, they have then given you permission to market to them.

I suggest checking out "Permission Marketing" by Seth Godin. There's probably a summary online somewhere if you don't want to read the whole book. But it's a pretty quick read.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Mow Town View Post
I would run far away from buying an email list. It will be a bunch of people that don't know who you are, haven't given you permission to email them, and don't appreciate you trying to sell to them without any understanding of their needs.

You would be better off building an email list yourself, likely much smaller, but full of highly targeted customers and potential customers. Then, build a relationship with them over time through value-driven emails.

You suggested sending a card first. This is a good idea. The call to action on the card could be to sign up to your email list. The trick is, that you need to give them a reason to want to sign up. What value are you going to give them? Could be as simple as putting together a 1 page Cheat Sheet for caring for your lawn.

I suggest checking out "Permission Marketing" by Seth Godin. There's probably a summary online somewhere if you don't want to read the whole book. But it's a pretty quick read.
How is this any diffferent than an EDDM campaign? As the modern world evolves I find myself looking more at the items in my inbox and on the news pages I read than in my physical mailbox.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
How is this any diffferent than an EDDM campaign? As the modern world evolves I find myself looking more at the items in my inbox and on the news pages I read than in my physical mailbox.
It's a bit of a combo.

I think the difference is that most EDDM has a "buy now" style call to action. It is pure advertising. If you don't want to buy now, the flyer gets dumped in the bin. There's low success rates.

I'm just suggesting that if Spray_Man is interested in email marketing, that buying an existing list is just more of the same. Untargeted advertising.

By changing the call to action from "buy now" to "join the list", there's an opportunity to actually start building relationships with people that both are and aren't ready to buy right now. But by joining your email list they have shown they have some interest in what you do and how you can help them...even if they're not in the market right now (they might be, come Spring).
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Mow Town View Post

Good advice - thank you. I am only looking for qualified e-mail addresses. Sending a bunch of unsolicited emails will only cause people to put me on the spam list. I have to concentrate on the postcard wording, to move the customer to action. I will look into the book.