Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Stihl FS 94 R - WITH PICTURE TAKEN BY ME!!

Hey guys, On Friday I went to one of my lawn equipment dealers for their fall/winter open house. There I saw the new Stihl FS 94 R coming out in Spring 2014. I was actually one of the first people in Canada to see it! (I feel really special)

It has a strato-charged Stihl 2-mix engine and for those of you wondering it will have the solid shaft, not the hollow one!

I'm not 100% sure if it has the blade/attachment capability but we'll have to wait and see.

It is the replacement to the 80 series trimmers and I must say, the weight is very similar to them and the front engine cover ls almost exactly the same... Where it use to say PRO SERIES on the front cover, it now says STIHL (this was a pre-production model so they may change that) that's basically all they changed there.

There's an all-new throttle trigger made exclusively for the 94R with a fully adjustable throttle, not a semi-adjustable throttle like we are used to seeing.
It's a dial on the left side of the throttle assembly. (I have a picture but it does not want to upload...)

The handle is the one that is on the FS100RX. (may be changed)

MSRP in Canada is currently set at $379.95 (Reps said it is unlikely that it will change)

As for the FS 240 R they said that it is in the final stages of design and a pre-production model will debut very soon... Most likely Dec -Jan

If you guys have any other questions or comments about it feel free to ask
below.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All-New throttle designed exclusively for the FS 94 R.....
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I talked to several dealers here on Friday afternoon about this trimmer. They all said it has a solid cable shaft, not braided or solid steel and that it won't accept most of the gear box attachments that the current 4 mixer's do. A couple dealers that I trust also said that the Stihl distributor had just been to their dealerships a couple days prior to our conversation showing the 94 around and that it was a really nice trimmer, but again, that it had a solid cable shaft.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Arrrrgh they are actually using ...
Can you see it, they are using a flap-style throttle instead of the piece they used to have, the actual orange piece you have to depress to give it gas is "new" and that style BREAKS it off when you catch the trimmer on something! How do I know, because Echo uses that style of throttle trigger and I have owned only one Echo in 12 years and it is the ONLY piece of handheld equipment where I broke that plastic throttle trigger the day I went to get it out the back of my truck and 'caught' the silly flap on the sides of the bed, they're not terribly expensive but I remember being done trimming for the day.

Not sure about that primer bulb, it sure is convenient there right on top and I suppose it's fine where it is but didn't they tuck it away in the past for some reason, nyah I guess only time will tell.

I do like the cruise control, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I talked to several dealers here on Friday afternoon about this trimmer. They all said it has a solid cable shaft, not braided or solid steel and that it won't accept most of the gear box attachments that the current 4 mixer's do. A couple dealers that I trust also said that the Stihl distributor had just been to their dealerships a couple days prior to our conversation showing the 94 around and that it was a really nice trimmer, but again, that it had a solid cable shaft.
I thought if the shaft is solid it WILL accept attachments, if it's a flex shaft it won't, granted I could be wrong but then again so could the dealers.

Overall it's a nice unit, gives me hope, one day I might have to ...

Last edited by herler; 10-06-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is what the dealers told me, that the rep and distributor told them. I actually hope they are wrong. I'd be really interested in this trimmer if it can accept all the gearbox attachments I have. There are solid cable shafts (not exactly sure on what the construction of them is) and braided cable shafts. The braided definitely can't handle the attachments, while some of the solid flexible shafts can accept certain attachments.

As for the trigger- I have the same thing on my Husky, and have yet to have any problems with it after two full years of use. They, and Redmax (same company as most of us know) say that the trigger is unbreakable from any normal use or abuse short of intentionally trying to do so in some crazy manner.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So how does that dial thing work? Never saw that before on anything
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It either has a cam on the underside, or is not concentric. Either way, when you pull the trigger and then roll the dial, whichever way they have it set up on the underside will bump up against the trigger holding it and preventing it from going all the way back down to idle. That's why you can pull it more for more power and then let it off and it'll go right back to where you had it set. My Husky 570 BP does the same thing, but it uses a longer radiused toggle switched to do the same thing.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure if that's something I would use a ton
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would.

It's about time someone came out with it. I would use it almost constantly. Just think how handy it would be for setting the power level you need for the conditions at hand, and then not worrying about it. You can let it go to flip the trimmer over, upside down etc and not have your hand in an awkward position to reach the trigger etc etc ......
Old 10-06-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah i don't like the throttle lever, that style breaks...and i would imagine it would accept attachments, we had a fs 90 strictly for attachments until we figured out that we could use our 100's, then we just bought 100's from there on out...don't have any problems with the shaft either