Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Sprayer pump trouble

I have a High Flo gold series 2.1 gpm pump on my sprayer. It is supposed to cut off at 60 psi. It has stopped cutting off and now sprays out of the middle nozzle with the boom valve closed and the pressure at 60 psi. If you close the bypass all the way it will go all the way up to 100 psi and the hand wand pops off.

The guy I talked to at Fimco said the pressure switch was bad and they sent me a new one. It didn't fix it.

Anybody got an idea what might be wrong?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mysterious. If the new pressure switch still fails to cut out at 60 pounds...either it is a bad switch, or the switch is not the problem.
Are you spraying a wettable or flowable formulation? Potentially something with could plug small openings. Do you have dirt or residue in the tank? Do you have a screen or intake filter?
Why not get a bypass valve and let the excess flow back into the tank?

Or get a new pump--and be done with it.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Mysterious. If the new pressure switch still fails to cut out at 60 pounds...either it is a bad switch, or the switch is not the problem.
Are you spraying a wettable or flowable formulation? Potentially something with could plug small openings. Do you have dirt or residue in the tank? Do you have a screen or intake filter?
Why not get a bypass valve and let the excess flow back into the tank?

Or get a new pump--and be done with it.
I've been spraying a water dispersible granular. Never had a problem until after I sprayed a couple tanks of it.

It does have a bypass valve.

I'm gonna upgrade to a 3.8 gpm pump over the winter anyway so I can spray higher volume.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mysterious indeed. Is this an ATV type sprayer? Sounds like you have several problems. With the boom valve closed I can't see how the middle nozzle is still getting pressure while the others aren't. Aren't they all connected together off a header? I would expect the new pressure switch to cut off at 60PSI unless something is clogged where it is connected.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Mysterious indeed. Is this an ATV type sprayer? Sounds like you have several problems. With the boom valve closed I can't see how the middle nozzle is still getting pressure while the others aren't. Aren't they all connected together off a header? I would expect the new pressure switch to cut off at 60PSI unless something is clogged where it is connected.
It is an ATV type sprayer. There are three nozzles, all three leak a little bit but the middle one is the strongest, it's the closest to where they all connect.

I've taken the pump apart. There is a little bit of residue from the Stonewall but nothing major.

The sprayer still works fine I just have to flip the power switch on/off when operating it instead of opening and closing the boom valve.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
There are three nozzles, all three leak a little bit but the middle one is the strongest, it's the closest to where they all connect.
Your outside nozzles have to be partially clogged as well as your boom valve not completely closing.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Your outside nozzles have to be partially clogged as well as your boom valve not completely closing.
I checked the nozzles but I'll do it again and check the boom valve as well. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device