Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

bought stihl and echo bed edgers this year...

I grabbed a stihl edger on a whim the other day when we were having carb issues with our echo 280 and had some fall redefining to do.

Thought I would note the differences between the two.

This is better if backed up by pics but I feel the echo leaves a sharper line and seems to spin at a much higher rpm. It also directs soil back into the bed a little better and cleans the trench out nicely when compared to the stihl.

The 280 really lacks power when dealing with a poorly maintained edge but is perfect for cleaning mulch and soft dirt out of existing edges - I'ts a great unit and I don't regret purchasing this spring.

I put the stihl head on an fs250...

This thing feels like it will trench right through asphault. The power difference is night and day and the stihl head seems to generate less buildup during use.

The end result is not pretty like the echo's but cleaning out the trench and defining the edge with a string trimmer works great. Even though it requires a two step process I feel this unit is still more productive than the echo strictly because of the extra power and the extra speed at which you can tear through anything in your path.

It seems to be spinning at a lower rpm which makes it easier to pick up small rocks but the shielding works as it should and it doesn't seem terribly unsafe. I'll have to try it on one of our fs100's for a more realistic power comparison but the lower (apparent) speed should still have more digging power.

We'll have to see how both units hold up but I'm likely to replace either one if it fails - these really are great timesavers
Old 10-06-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

mag-
how does the Stihl bed redefiner work on roots? I have an FS250 that I could run it on if my FS90 were to have trouble running it. I don't have any new beds to shape, just some to re-define at times, and one has some roots that run up to about 1" . I have cut the larger ones by hand in the past, but each year they grow back out into the edge of the bed and I inevitably hit them.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

i have an run a Stihl re-definer on a 130 power head. 36cc is enough to run the re-definer properly in my opinion

however at some point you need a better tool for the job ie more power

Last edited by austins35; 10-06-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Seems to tear right through roots but I don't think I hit anything an inch in diameter with it. The echo unit spins so fast it almost burns through wood - like a grinding wheel would. The stihl would break it.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does the Stihl seem to bounce around a bit when hitting roots? The reason I ask is that the ones I've looked at were just square edged blades that would have to beat their way through stuff.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have been very interested in these two product for fixing bed edges.

If anyone can make a video of each one or put some pics I would love to see them

I'd be curious about real world operation. Sometimes company videos make products seem like gold.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I have been very interested in these two product for fixing bed edges.

If anyone can make a video of each one or put some pics I would love to see them

I'd be curious about real world operation. Sometimes company videos make products seem like gold.
I like that idea a lot. I too would be very interested in real world video vs the manu's hype.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOQ8c9RV8PU
Old 10-07-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austins35 View Post
What he's doing with the 110 would bog down our echo unit. I think it's safe to say the stihl has more power. The echo would have left a cleaner edge though