Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2003, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gopher Profiles In Success

<Table align=center cellpadding=4 cellspacing=4 border=1 width=100% bgcolor="#EBC701"><TR><TD><TABLE bgcolor=black><TR bgcolor=white><TD valign=top><TABLE width="100%"bgcolor=white>
<TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR NOSHADE></TD></TR><TR><TD><Font size=10>R</font>ecently we had the pleasure of talking with Jim Denny. He is a former dentist who started his solo private dental practice in '87. At the time he sold his practice, last month, he had 5 employees. Why is he moving on from dentistry? To follow his dreams of becoming a landscaper!

When we caught up with Jim we asked him how his new business venture was going. "My landscaping business is JUST getting started. Two weeks ago I officially retired from dentistry and am in the process of finishing up some incomplete treatment. In about a month I'll be totally out of the dental business and will be able to devote 100% of my time to landscaping. I do have a few customers in my neighborhood that I acquired this year but up until now have been unable to do any marketing or take on any more business because I've been so preoccupied with my practice.

Right now I am trying to decide on a name and some sort of logo so I can do some marketing. Other than that I'm just trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can. I have high hopes for my business and feel very confident that I can succeed at this."

We see Jim as a success story because he is doing. He is a doer. He is making his dream a reality. His story shines a spotlight on one man's will to achieve. Theodor Herzl once said "If you will it, it is no dream."

Why do some of us reach for the stars and seek out our dreams while others shy away? It is possible the answer lies inside each and everyone of us. It may be based on our outlook of life or our ethos. We asked Jim to give us an insight into his philosophy. "I believe that there are many, many people who are stuck in dead-end jobs they actually hate but, for whatever reasons, are either unable or unwilling to change their situations. Thankfully, I came to believe that I had the power to change my situation and after a lot of hard work positioned myself to make this career change."

So often in our day and age, we are bombarded with "Success Stories" from late night television, get rich quick, money making schemes. Unknown individuals tell tall tales of how they made $5,000 in their first week. With that in mind, it was refreshing for us to have the opportunity to look into Jim's view on business, life and fun. His answers reflect a real person with real dreams, fears, and interests. He shows us that he is similar in many ways to all of us. So if you ever find yourself working in a dead end job, staring out the window daydreaming of a better way and suddenly find your gaze fixed on a man out in the distance, tending to a wonderfully colorful landscape, you just might be looking at Jim.

BUSINESS <HR width=50% align=left>

1. What got you started in business?

I've always been interested in landscaping and in working outdoors. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of creating beauty in my own yard and believe I have some innate abilities and talents in this area.

2. How many years have you been in business?

Just getting started but I've been a homeowner for a number of years and during that time have learned a great deal about landscaping and have developed certain skills during that time that I believe will serve me well in my business.

3. What is your business motto?

Quality work at a fair price and customer satisfaction.

4. What is the biggest advantage/disadvantage of being your own boss?

The main advantages are freedom and unlimited potential. The biggest disadvantages to me are just the hassles that come with running a business and being in charge; also, there's very little security, especially in the beginning, and I have some fear of failure and of the unknown.

5. Who is your favorite entrepreneur and why?

I've always admired Col. Harlan Sanders who founded Ky. Fried Chicken because he started so late in life. I often think about how much determination, perseverence and courage he must have had in order to do what he did.

6. What is your greatest achievement so far / biggest regret?

My greatest achievement was building a successful dental practice because I was so poorly suited for that profession, disliked it so much and had so little interest in it. My biggest regret is that, when it came time to choose a career, I based my choice almost solely on potential financial rewards instead of going into a field of endeavor where I had some interests and natural talents.

LIFE<HR width=50% align=left>

7. What is your biggest goal and dream?

My dream is for my life to be happy and exciting and to provide the necessary guidance so my son can do the same. Also, I want to help as many other people as possible in the time I have left on this earth.

8. Do you vote, which party?

Generally republican but am open-minded toward all candidates and parties.

9. If you could talk to someone just starting out, what advice would you give?

If this is something that you enjoy, then success is almost guaranteed if you work hard and treat people well.

10. Who has been your greatest influence?

I give alot of credit to some of the better known self-help gurus and motivational speakers:e.g., Jim Rohn, Anthony Robbins, Les Brown, Wayne Deyer and others. Through their work I learned and came to believe that I could do anything I put my mind to, but more importantly I just became a better person with fewer character flaws and never, ever blame other people for my problems.

11. If you could do anything right now, what would you be doing?

I believe I'm FINALLY doing it.

12. Where do you want to be in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?

1 year: making a profit

5 years: have a totally successful business

10 years: financial security

None of this will be possible, though, unless I begin practicing better health habits so that's the main goal.

FUN<HR width=50% align=left>

13. What do you do for fun?

Spend time with my son, work in the yard, read, sports enthusiast, like movies.

14. Favorite musical artist?

Bee Gees

15. Favorite movie?

Accidental Tourist

16. Current pet project?

In the process of converting my garage into a workshop

17. Dream vacation spot?

Fiji

18. Dream car?

Toyota Landcruiser

19. What is your ultimate toy?

I guess the car would be it.

Thanks Jim!
</TD></TR>
<TR><TD> </TD></TR>
<TR bgcolor="#E9DFA7"><TD>To have your business profiled, please contact us. support@gophersoftware.com</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TABLE></TD></TR></TABLE></TD></TR></TABLE>

Last edited by Team Gopher; 09-19-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Suspended

Damn Gopher............you just keep outdoing yourselves.....

Lot of good stories out there............
Old 09-20-2003, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does it come in a different color and a smaller size?