Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ted I whole heartly agree with you, some guys myself included need some sort of structure and support that a franchise provides. it's taken me this long to get to 50 regular maint customers, I just can't see taking another 5 years to get to 100 customers, I've stayed out of debt for the most part it's hard to do when your trying to grow at any kind of pace though. Like you say you just gotta weight the plus's and minus's for your situation. If I do decide to go the franchise route I'll report back and let yall know if it was a good decision or not.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I have analyzed Weed Man's Franchise Disclosure Document. Looks like a ripoff. You pay them 12 grand per truck you have, plus 20% more to their "advertising fund". You also pay 5 grand for software. That's absurd. No software should cost 5 grand. Plus a ton more restrictions. I can't attest to how helpful their training is or their blueprint for success, but there are so many costs and rules. In addition the non-compete clause after the contract ends is bad. You can't even touch lawn care for 2 years in an area where Weedman exists.

Personally, I don't see the value.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

For $12k you get a truck and spray rig? Doesn't sound bad. $5k for good software isn't bad either. As anyone who uses a service Assistant from Real Green. The other fellow said royalties were about 5 percent a year. Are you saying there is an additional 20 percent advertising fee?? That seems extremely excessive especially if the franchisee has to pay for their own local mail outs etc. The noncompete clause is pretty standard though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake78 View Post
... You also pay 5 grand for software. That's absurd. No software should cost 5 grand. ....
What is the function and capability of the software? Specialized software for B2B is far different than MS-Word (or similar) marketed to the masses. I know some PC software is $18,000, plus annual fees for maintenance.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBK View Post
For $12k you get a truck and spray rig? Doesn't sound bad. $5k for good software isn't bad either. As anyone who uses a service Assistant from Real Green. The other fellow said royalties were about 5 percent a year. Are you saying there is an additional 20 percent advertising fee?? That seems extremely excessive especially if the franchisee has to pay for their own local mail outs etc. The noncompete clause is pretty standard though.
Posted via Mobile Device

12 grand does not include any equipment - if it included a truck and spray equipment I would sign in a heartbeat! 12k per truck is just how they structure their royalty. And 5k for software is for one license, you have to pay additional for more. Plus a recurring fee for it. There's plenty of better software out there for that much. We could probably pool 5k together and have my nephew program an awesome software platform for all of us (hmmm not a bad idea...).

The 20% of royalty (not 20% of revenue) gets paid to their national advertising fund, so you have no discretion of how it is spent. Of course you may benefit from the brand name, but it's not like Weed Man is a household name yet. You still have to pay all marketing costs for your own franchise.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake78 View Post
12 grand does not include any equipment - if it included a truck and spray equipment I would sign in a heartbeat! 12k per truck is just how they structure their royalty. And 5k for software is for one license, you have to pay additional for more. Plus a recurring fee for it. There's plenty of better software out there for that much. We could probably pool 5k together and have my nephew program an awesome software platform for all of us (hmmm not a bad idea...).

The 20% of royalty (not 20% of revenue) gets paid to their national advertising fund, so you have no discretion of how it is spent. Of course you may benefit from the brand name, but it's not like Weed Man is a household name yet. You still have to pay all marketing costs for your own franchise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

If weed man looks you in the eye and says you pay 12 k per truck plus marketing dollars then you are going to go bankrupt . A good mature lawn care route at its best may do 125k back in the heyday chlawn was busting 150 k
A true franchise model that is respectfull will only charge 4.5 perecent max . Google 60 minutes ,they had a whole show on the devestation that franchise can cause by overcharging.
Weed man is not a model of anything except to over charge you, and hope you quit . And then the will come in and steal all your hard work .This happens everyday to different franchise owners in all types of businesses Cause there is no sustainable way to give away more then ten percent and have much left over .
If you want to run your business like a franchise , then use real green software , all the franchises use it except weed man .Basically it was developed by a Scotts franchise owner .
Don't give away your hard work to a franchise that will make you pay , win loose or draw .Have self confidence and know you can do it , granted you will need help but it will be yours!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptsketch View Post
If weed man looks you in the eye and says you pay 12 k per truck plus marketing dollars then you are going to go bankrupt . A good mature lawn care route at its best may do 125k back in the heyday chlawn was busting 150 k
A true franchise model that is respectfull will only charge 4.5 perecent max . Google 60 minutes ,they had a whole show on the devestation that franchise can cause by overcharging.
Weed man is not a model of anything except to over charge you, and hope you quit . And then the will come in and steal all your hard work .This happens everyday to different franchise owners in all types of businesses Cause there is no sustainable way to give away more then ten percent and have much left over .
If you want to run your business like a franchise , then use real green software , all the franchises use it except weed man .Basically it was developed by a Scotts franchise owner .
Don't give away your hard work to a franchise that will make you pay , win loose or draw .Have self confidence and know you can do it , granted you will need help but it will be yours!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Apologies folks- completely forgot about this thread and haven't checked it for quite some time...

Again, the franchise fees aren't 12K per truck when you have multiple trucks, they decline. I'm currently paying ~6% which will continue to decline the more concentrated I get. We are more than $150K per truck so that might be affecting your calculation. We'll probably max out around $175K. This can be partly attributed to being in the Chicago Suburbs and being so densely populated.

The 60 minutes piece was very good and, again, pointed out that there are good franchise systems and bad, so do your homework. I have no experience with the Real Green software so wouldn't feel comfortable commenting on it. Again, franchises are not for everyone but to paint them with a broad brush seems a bit short-sighted. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Weed Man franchisees who've chimed in on this thread seem to be happy with their decision. Are there franchisees out there who are unhappy with Weed Man? Perhaps, I just am not aware of them.

Again, anyone with questions feel free to chime in or email me directly- I will try to check this thread regularly. Needless to say, I have had a pretty positive experience thus far. However, I realize it's not for everyone.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Bmburns. Are you saying that one truck can max out at $175k of revenue per year and all trucks do over $150k/year???

If so you are laughing at 6% royalties!

Cheers!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Garybk
Those numbers are high and the exception not the rule , and to be getting to that volume has nothing to do with a franchise . There are plenty of examples of non franchise lawncare operators in a mature market can do that volume along with very sound business practices .
For any one to imply weedman grows there business is misleading. People grow there business and weedman or lawndoctors or a consultant will show you procedures to follow . To win in business it is totally up to the individual , on what they decide to do, based on the options in front of them . For example ; you read A great business Guide "Emyth book "and go use the principles they suggest,and then join a peer group inside the industry with guys not in your area ( they will share more openly with you) . Do you credit emyth and your peer group with your profitable business . Sorta but not really cause its all you and your employees efforts , thats the point of this thread really!!!! you did the work not them they just gave you advice .
The reality is the only reason a business exists is really to market itself it is the fuel that feeds the machine ,,
Does Weedman have a marketing presence, a name that means something , Does it get you leads that turn into business from clients, from there reputation in the country (Gary Bk maybe in Canada ) Here in the good ole USA , lawn doctor means something , Scotts does they have commercials ,sponsor Race cars . I can see some value in those names from a marketing standpoint

To Bmburns ; Unhappy franchise owners venting in a public place is Like, Unhappy employees venting in a break room and the boss walks in . It makes for a very uncomfortable scenario , soi suspect you wont here from them very much .
But I do agree in the value of franchises providing its 4% or under. Again Watch the 60 minutes expose , any more then the 4% is corrupt their words not mine