Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2013, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since your young now is a good time to start practicing letting go of the actions of others. Others can influence us, but we generate our own response. Throughout life you will walk through the minefield of others perceptions. Just follow your conscience. Mind is the only limiting factor. If you truly want to you can become a millionaire landscaping. Good luck
Old 10-03-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're done with high school and can get another job I would do so to supplement your mowing for now. That will allow you to have a steady income and have enough to put the money in to grow the business. It's hard to grow a business if all your marketing and living expenses come out of $500/month. Work work work. Save enough to buy 10,000 door hangers to put out in the spring. Spend all winter figuring out how to build a website then get yourself one. Dedicate your life to marketing till you get the client base. This mowing season is over. You have all winter to come up with a marketing strategy, prepare awesome craigslist adds, create professional door hangers, figure out what you really want from your business etc.

My experience: This is my first year in the business and I started with 0 accounts in the spring. January 1st I randomly decided to start a lawn care business. I watched hours of youtube videos on how to build a website and built one. I created door hangers, post cards, figured out what equipment I needed, and got as prepared as I could. When March-April came around I started getting calls and it started everything rolling. Over the last 6 months I have thought about the business several hours/day. I live in a small town of 25k. My growing potential is limited and people here aren't rich by any means. I have managed to get 19 weekly and 2 bi-weekly clients this year. I have lost at least half of my bids due to bidding them to get 60+/hour but that's okay. I also have a full-time job. The last 6 months I have averaged the same income as I get with my full-time job while working 15 hours/week instead of 40. There is potential in the business. If one does things right, isn't afraid to work hard, and has a love for the industry they can make it and do well. There are plenty of people that have done much better than me. If you really want it go for it!

This guys youtube channel taught me a lot. I have watched all his videos several times. http://www.youtube.com/user/lawncaremillionaire
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if you want to build a website, see squarespace.com. they have hosting and web design (do it yourself without any coding, just click and type) for $96/year. I am happy with it and they have good customer service.
I agree get 10k door hangers and go in the spring to your target area.
good luck
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Landscaping View Post
I'm planning on plowing, just going to get a cheap plow truck and most likely scrap it at the end of the season.
That is a terrible idea. There is no way you'd break even on that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While your young.... Get a job with a pension. I'm a custodian. Ten years, and I'm vested and have supplementary retirement funds. Make some money, invest it into your business. Get good equipment, take classes and get licenses in your free time. Learn everything you can, work on the side, and grow the best business you can. If you outgrow that pension job before the vested point, you can leave and cash out what you put in.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

At 18, get an education!!!! "... do this the rest of my life..." is way too premature of the choice of a career path.

Statistic show that most people will have at least four careers in their working life. The key is to be nimble and flexible enough to migrate from one to another.

If you don't think a four-year college program is right for you, then at least invest in a trade (as suggested above). Tradespeople are in high demand, and their demand continues to grow because so few are choosing this path. Having the trades skills, you can then choose to embark on a business venture. Also,you need adopt an attitude of life-long learning --- always learning something new that can set you apart from others.

At 18, with no formal higher education, and no skills training, you are one of many, many, and more many. Your leverage to the workforce is next to zero. At this stage, you bring nothing unique to the marketplace -- except unskilled labor. The pool for unskilled labor is enormous.

This is the time to lay the foundation for career growth.

A suggestion above was to "let yourself go," or words to that effect. In other words, don't let others tell you about your choices. I have to strongly disagree with this approach. The experience and wisdom of others is invaluable. To be sure, you make your own final choices, but to disregard the experience and wisdom, to ignore wise counsel, is foolish (IMO). I've lived life too long to understand one should never try to live in isolation.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Landscaping View Post
I'm 18, graduated high school last year and have 4 full time accounts and 3 part time. This is a job that I would like to do the rest of my life but lately I've been taking a lot of heat from my friends and family to find a steady job. It almost seems like my business is a big joke to all of them. With all of the advertising I've been doing with no responses it seems hard to believe that my business will grow. Did any of you guys go through the same b.s?
Hey man, if you really want to do this for the rest of your life thats important that you know what you want to do. It takes people along time to figure that out. I would strongly reccomend you finding a full time job for atleast 2 years or more while you do lawn work part time and grow your customer list while learning and improving with your work. Save a nice emergency fund to fall back on.
I got alot of criticism when I first started doing lawn care right out of highschool. I had a full time job and a part time job and started with 4 customers, I repeated this cycle for 3-4 years working about 90+hrs a week.
I finally had enough customers, the right equiptment and had a fair chunk in the savings account to feel comfortable to do this full time. And a few of my friend that critisized me in the beginning actually worked for me over the last few years haha. I think your family might just be trying to steer you in the right direction. The best thing you can do is work as much as you can and save as much to build your self a nice pathway. Keep advertising each year you will grow trust me. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of good advice here, but in the end YOU have to make the choice, Sit down and write out your goals for the next five years, most importantly BE HONEST with yourself, and REALISTIC! If college isn't for you then it isn't, it wasn't for me either but I forced my way through, realize that your limiting your choices down the road if things go awry with self employment, learning a good skilled trade never hurts. I knew I always wanted to work for myself but could never seem to put myself in a good enough situation to do it, then corporate America did it for me. Five years later here I am, the off seasons are still a challenge but my customer base is growing every year lil by lil. the last two seasons have been my best but I'm never satisfied it seems I want more customers so I keep plugging and plugging.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest lie out there now is that you need an education from a university or some other gov't regulated institution... with the internet and an intelligent question you can learn everything you need to know about Botany, Pesticides, Lawncare and Gardening...

Life is short,,, stay out of debt and live the life you enjoy...
Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A worthwhile perspective ...
Attached Images