Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoFun View Post
you have it all figured out.. you must be on track to break a 100 million this year?
Only the obvious figured out. As you don't hire an office manager when you need a book keeper.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=32vld;4560766]Bang for your buck. Advertising covers ALOT!!
I was a 2 truck operation for years, getting over the hump, getting out of the truck, was always so close, and for awhile it happens, but then something goes wrong and your needed in the field and before long your back to doing what you do best, manual labor. Why not sell work, be a manager, make that what you do best, If you just need to do manual labor, do your own yard on the weekend.....

This is so true. Happens alot, did to me a few years ago. Lose a couple of accounts the day they end and BAM you are back in the truck. In my case those accounts were worth 100K. Makes you have to rethink your business model in a hurry.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Bang for your buck. Advertising covers ALOT!!
I was a 2 truck operation for years, getting over the hump, getting out of the truck, was always so close, and for awhile it happens, but then something goes wrong and your needed in the field and before long your back to doing what you do best, manual labor. Why not sell work, be a manager, make that what you do best, If you just need to do manual labor, do your own yard on the weekend.....
Tired of your business not growing fast enough?

That $100,000 spent on a franchise spent on advertising will get any business a lot of customers. Then you don't have to pay 3% of your gross every year.
[/QUOTE]

and if your turn over is 200k then you can spend 4k a year on advertising and 2k on a holiday
Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlandco View Post
Not even for a second.
We are a good sized corporation and we do not need anyone telling us how to run our business.
We are M&S Landscaping, it took us 20 years to get to where we are and to build the reputation we have today.
Take pride in your work and you will be set apart from your competitors, let that be your marketing. Let people physically see that you are better then the rest and they will have no problem paying top dollar for your service.
We are never the cheapest bid, actually we are always the most expensive. You win some you lose some, but its nice havin nothing but top dollar paying accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
That last sentence is gold. I can't think of any instance when my bid wasnt the top, starting out (2011) was kinda slow but now that I have somewhat created a brand and having higher prices paid off and will continue to do so in the future. I foind this thread when I searched franchises but never found one about Spring Green. They want me to purchase an existing franchise as the current owner is retiring. I can still keep my existing company and will have an employee handle all ops if I were to purchase the Spring Green Franchise. Plus I could double market, get the fert for SG and advertise my company (full service maint & install) to the existing 450+ clients. If I can obtain financing for it I think I may go for it. Does anyone have any insight on owning a Spring Green franchise?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
You want the truth, you say...

One of the biggest factors that took most of the steam out of my engine was the plain realization that no matter what I did, no matter how hard I worked, regardless of this and that and the other, it was ALWAYS (and always WILL be) the SAME money at the end of the month.

The hardest part I have had with that is accepting it.
But I do not see a franchise changing this factor, sorry.
Not at my age and I fought long and hard for many years, you know I could have took it easy and saved myself a whole lot of headache because it didn't hardly put a dent in the difference, all that hard work and all those years of slaving, wouldn't you guess I still get the same dang money.

So if that is the only reason why you want to own or buy a franchise, stick with what you have, my advice.
So what franchise did you own?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 03:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

old proverb says...."the only person who makes money with a franchise situation is the person selling the franchise"......
No matter how you slice it, there are now TWO companies eating at the trough....yours and theirs......i shy away from them and I get calls frequently from the Grounds Guys
Old 10-08-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Dude, I don't know the details of the US Lawns system -- that's why this thread was started.

But, I notice that all of you are thinking small. I guess I can't blame you, since that's all you know. But, the discounts they're talking about are on large items from large suppliers. The guys I talked to (both franchisees, but different companies) said they don't go to dealerships to buy equipment. They order their trucks directly from the National Accounts people at Ford, using their company's national account. Buying at a dealership is small time stuff and you way overpay for what you get. But, when a large company can deal with Ford for 500 trucks each year, that means something.

They probably don't get much or any discount for small local suppliers (mulch yards), but they can get large discounts from large suppliers.

It's pretty clear that you guys don't understand how large scale franchising can operate. Personally, I don't know the specifics of how US Lawns operates and I hope someone can help us out with that.
You've pretty much summed it up, most of the guys on here are small time, grossing less than 500.000 if you want to get over the million mark you'd better have a system or systems that can handle it, I'd bet that 98% on here don't have a clue as to how to get to the million mark, Not that I do, but at least I'm able to admit it. A franchise is not a golden rod but it enables you to put the systems in place to get a lot further a lot quicker. I've talked to over a hundred franchisees from all sorts of business over the last year or so, and they all said the same thing, they couldn't have gotten as far as they did as fast as they did on their own, and YES they would do it again. I've yet to meet one franchisee that had to put 100K to get started. All the ones that have been in business for over 5 years are grossing at least 750K I've been in business for five years now and am not even close to that. Systems work! if you work them properly.and most guys in this industry would benefit immensely from being in a system, whether they want to admit it or not, but for the most part their ego won't let them.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
You've pretty much summed it up, most of the guys on here are small time, grossing less than 500.000 if you want to get over the million mark you'd better have a system or systems that can handle it, I'd bet that 98% on here have a clue about how to get to the million mark, Not that I do, but at least I'm able to admit it. A franchise is not a golden rod but it enables you to put the systems in place to get a lot further a lot quicker. I've talked to over a hundred franchisees from all sorts of business over the last year or so, and they al said the same thing, they couldn't have gotten as far as they did as fast as they did on their own, and YES they would do it again. I've yet to meet one franchisee that had to put 100K to get started. All the ones that have been in business for over 5 years are grossing at least 750K I've been in business for five years now and am not even close to that. Systems work! if you work them properly.and most guys in this industry would benefit immensely from being in a system, whether they want to admit it or not, but for the most part their ego won't let them.
If you are determined to reach the 7, 8, 9 figures (like myself), you'll need to educate yourself on how. Just recently, Ive spent several hours a week reading books such as E Myth, just finished Green Side Up, & started Pricing For The Green Industry. Theyre all about implementing systems into your business which is basically what I think about every day, all day, especially when I'm in the field doing whatever it may be, mowing, aerating, installing a hardscape, etc., the most effective way to get myself out from working in the field so I can grow my business to what I want It to be.

Maybe it's possible to get out of the field faster with a franchise, however I'd rather build my own brand, that could possibly one day become a franchise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
If you are determined to reach the 7, 8, 9 figures (like myself), you'll need to educate yourself on how. Just recently, Ive spent several hours a week reading books such as E Myth, just finished Green Side Up, & started Pricing For The Green Industry. Theyre all about implementing systems into your business which is basically what I think about every day, all day, especially when I'm in the field doing whatever it may be, mowing, aerating, installing a hardscape, etc., the most effective way to get myself out from working in the field so I can grow my business to what I want It to be.

Maybe it's possible to get out of the field faster with a franchise, however I'd rather build my own brand, that could possibly one day become a franchise.
Posted via Mobile Device
Buddy of mine bought a franchise worked it for 6-7 years learned the ropes of building, implementing and working systems, sold it and started his own brand, advised me to do the same. Being that I've already been at this for five years, I don't think it would take me long to learn, I read read read also but it's not the same as actually doing and implementing. Books make everything seem peachy and easy, in reality it's very hard and VERY VERY expensive to implement systems. Like I said a franchise may not be the golden rod to success but I do believe it's a viable step in the right direction.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Would someone enlighten us as to why US lawns is better than GG's? For those that think it cost 100K to start a franchise would be WRONG!