Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
I'm thinkin if ya haven't taken the advice given so far and couple that with the fact you can't seem to figure out how to download a FREE SERVICE MANUAL FROM KOHLER, then the rest is way over your head...

Let's try and walk through this once, shall we...

Go to http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp

Click the checkbox that you "Agree"...

Then look to the right and click on "Enter as guest"

Then under the Product Catalog Tab look for "Command PRO Twin CH/CV17-25, CH/CV620-750" ... Click it!

Then you'll see Models listed in the top, Owners Manuals below that and Service Manuals below that! Click on the top Service Manual as that is the one that covers the CV series.

Now would be a good time to save it to your computer...

Then read it cover to cover...
It was pointed out 3 pages ago and more than that let me help you out since it seems you can't find that... Click page 1, read all posts, Click page 2, read all posts. Then you will realize that you just pointed out something pointed out day or two ago. Figured I would give you the same walk through you gave me. ha

I have the manual in front of me and I admit I downloaded wrong manual at first which frustrated the crap out of me. Another instruction read my question, if it is too involved for a landscaper that tinkers. I done a lot with small engines but rings is getting in to more of a rebuild than a repair which my experience is from. That understood? That is not written in the manual what kind of people can do easily by the way. I am horticulturalist that designs plantings, engineers hardscapes, and etc, not a master mechanic by any means but far from no skills with machines after being in this field my whole life.

By the way, if anyone with a manual could fix anything without advice from others with more experience, this world wouldn't have much need for many different trades. I apprieate the advice I received from the people that took the time to post advice intend of wise cracks.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcut 1 View Post
1) If it was rings, you would be getting white smoke, and oil buildup on the plug.
2) Whatever dealership or mechanics you spoke with must not work on very many Kohler Commands. I can't even tell you in the last 16 years how many intake gaskets I've replaced on this series.
3) Keep it simple. From what you described, your problem sounds more like carb/idle circuit. You're jumping all around. A compression or leak down test would give you a pretty fair idea of the internal state of your engine.
4) How many hours. The valves are probably leaking if a lot. Does the engine "hiss" when you shut it down?? That's a good sign of a head gasket gone or going.

Good luck, but do this step by step or you will just be throwing a bunch of parts at it and probably not fix the initial problem.
Thank you... just trying to find any thing I need to be aware of being a possible issue. To answer your questions. The machines has over 600 hours. It is not currently smoking bad... I do not notice a hiss at power down. I do feel like it has a slight hiss or whining noise while running full throttle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasScape View Post
How hard is it to change intake manifold gasket. I have found the part number and ready to order. Been trying to find pictures on what I need to take part to get to it but not really finding anything. Anyone have any suggestions on a guide that would show me? I just like to look over something before I start ripping into an engine...[/B] So I don't create more work for myself than need to....
Suggestions were given...

Quote:
Also it is now blowing ignition fuses so I have a new ignition on order which will hopefully fix that issues. I have my fingers crossed that it isn't somewhere else in the wiring. I have been there and done that and that is a pain in the butt haha.
Should be easy enough to find & fix...

Quote:
Already looked, it was not clear for this purpose unless I am looking at the wrong manual. I guess no one has seen a write up on this? I have not been able to find anything on Intake Manifold gasket replacement on this engine.
Hmm, plenty of pretty pictures in the SERVICE MANUAL explaining ALL repairs...

Quote:
Yea... I would be mad about the mower but got it as a farm special dirt cheap. The ignition is really worn out so I am hoping that is where the problem is. I wanted to replace it anyways so maybe get luck for once. This mower is a little bit of a project but well worth it as a good back up. Going to repaint and refinish the deck this winter.

Also thanks for the advice on taking off manifold intake. As I said, wanted to make sure I was going about it the right way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Should have been easy to determine where the fault is and what it was without guessing...

Quote:
Recently I spoke with the local Exmark dealership and a local small engine repair place. Both are well respected and I have used the local shop but not the dealership except for new equipment since I think their repair rates are beyond ridiculous. They both have independently told me they in no way think my problem is with the intake manifold gasket (They said if it was a Kawasaki they would possibly consider it since they sometime have problems with that gasket but not a Kohler).... They think it is something to do with the heads such as a ring on side that had the bad plug needs replacement... Thoughts anyone on this? Also would ring replacement be too big of a job for a landscaper that has spent few years tinkering on equipment or easily doable with a general knowledge of small engines?[/B]

Due to the electrical problem and waiting on the part to hopefully fix it to come in any day now, I have not been able to try to spray carb cleaner on the union of the Intake manifold and engine to see if it gets sucked in.

My new plans are cleaning up the carb, new ignition & fuses, new choke cable, using the test of the intake manifold that was suggested, and crossing my fingers it works out.
Opinions are like noses, everyone has one...

Quote:
I had no intention of degrading the advice I got... I was just pointing out other advice from mechanics I got... Someone mentioned it wouldn't have anything to do with head gasket or heads so I just wanted. Trust me I wouldn't ask advice from people on this forum if I didn't respect the advice I was getting. Same reason, I only called those two places for advice, I respect them.

Well if anyone else has any thoughts that are constructive, they would be greatly appreaited. Such as skill level needed for rings if I need them. Any advice about ring jobs would be loved. Once again, trying to figure out what I am getting into before tearing it apart. Was quoted $900 for ring job by dealership, I am no master of small engines but I think that is a rip off.
How are any of us supposed to know your skill level? How are any of us supposed to know if you are getting into something over your head?... YOU should know!

Quote:
It was pointed out 3 pages ago and more than that let me help you out since it seems you can't find that... Click page 1, read all posts, Click page 2, read all posts. Then you will realize that you just pointed out something pointed out day or two ago. Figured I would give you the same walk through you gave me. ha

I have the manual in front of me and I admit I downloaded wrong manual at first which frustrated the crap out of me. Another instruction read my question, if it is too involved for a landscaper that tinkers. I done a lot with small engines but rings is getting in to more of a rebuild than a repair which my experience is from. That understood? That is not written in the manual what kind of people can do easily by the way. I am horticulturalist that designs plantings, engineers hardscapes, and etc, not a master mechanic by any means but far from no skills with machines after being in this field my whole life.

By the way, if anyone with a manual could fix anything without advice from others with more experience, this world wouldn't have much need for many different trades. I apprieate the advice I received from the people that took the time to post advice intend of wise cracks.
Yeah buddy, you really showed me up on that...

If you consider general maintenence or tune-ups as your "a lot of expierence with small engines", then this is probably over your head as you seemingly need specific details and pictures/diagrams for a given job.

I have been following this thread since you posted it on 10/4/13... I have seen all of your questions asked including wanting to know if you could do the repairs yourself... Again, no one knows your skill level but you! If you feel you can do it, then dig in and do it!

You seem to be baffled that you haven't been given a "Oh, here's your problem, do this and it will be fixed" answer yet... When the fact of the matter is that you have the engine in front of you and your basically asking "What's wrong with it and exactly how do I fix it?" Had ANY of us tech's had this engine in front of us, it would have been fixed 5 days ago!

So if you feel comfortable enough with YOUR skill level and now having the Service Manual, then go for it! If not, then take it in for repair to someone who will fix it for you!

So do YOU feel that you can do repairs at any depth on this engine with YOUR skill level?

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I think u have a problem with your carb. it could be adjustment but i have done many a command with some dirt in the idle port. I am not sure why all the sudden we are talking about rings...does the mower use any oil. The death of Commands is in the breather hope this is helpful
<larry>

Shade Tree Outdoor Power Sales+Service
Toro
Maruyama
Dolmar
Kawasaki
Kohler
Briggs