Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Train crashing into excavator

Just what the title says. Tractor trailer, stuck on the tracks and the train plows into it..
Amazing video.

http://www.ksat.com/news/north-texas...8/-/index.html

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Amazing video. That happened about 4 miles from my house. A friend of mine saw it happen. The driver should have had enough sense not to try that crossing with that lowboy trailer. It is so obvious, when you see the crossing, that clearance for a low trailer will be a problem. Driver must have been dumb, half asleep, inexperienced, or on drugs.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nothing that serious by us but a tractor hauling into town with two grain wagons tried to beat the whistle of train and then noticed the arms coming down - the arm got stuck on the front of tractor and she had to get across so she pulled the entire arm/ flashers/pole right off the base and with her to cross - or else collision with grain wagons. Police report said $54,000 damage to rail crossing. The video - not sure what the driver was thinking
Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Amazing video. That happened about 4 miles from my house. A friend of mine saw it happen. The driver should have had enough sense not to try that crossing with that lowboy trailer. It is so obvious, when you see the crossing, that clearance for a low trailer will be a problem. Driver must have been dumb, half asleep, inexperienced, or on drugs.
Wow. Could have been a lot worse. Could have derailed a bunch of chemical cars, killed kids, or blown up a town like what happened in Canada a few months back. You would think that someone hauling 80k lbs would have a little sense. I'm not perfect but I would certainly make sure my truck and trailer will make it across the tracks of something that takes a mile to stop..

Good grief. Glad nothing spilled in your neighborhood.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Weird how it didn't look that bad. No bits and pieces, just pushed everything out of the way. Im sure up close it must be worse.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

You'd be surprised how many tractor/trailers get stuck at crossings and hit by trains. Most of these crossings have a sign that warn the trucks that they will get high centered on the crossing but they attempt it anyways, even though you should be able to just look at some of them and tell you won't make it. Nothing on the railroad is cheap, if you're going to be stupid then you'd better have some high limits on your insurance.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guess the driver made DOT proud by having the excavator amply tied down. Wouldn't it be something if he used baling twine?