Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Crew Routing Problem

So we have over 400 lawns to cut each week so everyday, we make papers in excel that list all the properties each crew has to cut (About 6 crews). We then read down our "Lawn Master" on each day to confirm who is a cut and who is being skipped. Each lawn foreman then gets the sheet with the lawns to cut and skip that day.
We feel as if there is an easier way to go about this possibly utilizing technology. What does everyone else do out there for large lawn lists? This is very time consuming and a pain in the butt.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have twice my list there and 3 times the crews. We print our list the morning of our first day. It has bi weeklies in italics and so we cross reference the previous weeks skips and cuts for each page and circle the ones that are to be skipped this week. Then we add in any ones that have asked to be off and any that we know to be off i.e. new drive way or just was seeded or roads closed that ones come up a lot this summer. But both owners are foremen so we are very familiar with the list and this takes us about 5 mins. You would need a lot of feed back from your foremen to make it work. But it's not impossible you could write the lists put in the known skips then ask them do they know of any others on their lists that will likely be off and why. It would be a good way to get info from them that somehow slips their mind each time they come back.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

The foreman will check off which ones he cut and then we will record it in the master. We need to figure out an easier way to get the grasses that need to be cut and ones that need to be skipped to the foreman to go do then for them to return something to us showing what was cut and what was not. Preferably something electronic because this is just too much paper.

Last edited by DooleyPyne; 10-10-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Go to a program... a lot of these programs like service polit do exactly what you are asking and more. I think you can even have supervisors have iPads or on their cellphones mark when they start and finish... I do not use a program and old school
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow 400 a week. You need a scheduling program.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Geez 400 lawns! I can't believe you haven't implemented a routing system before now? I'm at 50 and want one,LOL
Old 10-11-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

We use Qxpress. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. When a customer signs up, you just enter their info, set their schedule and it fills in all the dates of service for the rest of the year. You can customize it for your seasons. For instance, my weekly customers are weekly April through October; bi-weekly November and February; every 4 weeks December and January. Once you set them up, it's done, and you never have to remember if you mowed a bi-weekly lawn the week before or not. If it's not their week, it doesn't show up on the route sheet. It also optimizes the route for you, so that you're not driving all over town. Our office manager prints out the route lists for the whole week, and the crews come get them when they get their paychecks. Any additions or cancellations are texted to the crew leaders.

Like I said, it could use some improvement, but it's the only one I can get to automatically adjust for seasons.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arninglawns View Post
We use Qxpress. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. When a customer signs up, you just enter their info, set their schedule and it fills in all the dates of service for the rest of the year. You can customize it for your seasons. For instance, my weekly customers are weekly April through October; bi-weekly November and February; every 4 weeks December and January. Once you set them up, it's done, and you never have to remember if you mowed a bi-weekly lawn the week before or not. If it's not their week, it doesn't show up on the route sheet. It also optimizes the route for you, so that you're not driving all over town. Our office manager prints out the route lists for the whole week, and the crews come get them when they get their paychecks. Any additions or cancellations are texted to the crew leaders.

Like I said, it could use some improvement, but it's the only one I can get to automatically adjust for seasons.
What happens if you lose a day to rain?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooleyPyne View Post
So we have over 400 lawns to cut each week so everyday, we make papers in excel that list all the properties each crew has to cut (About 6 crews). We then read down our "Lawn Master" on each day to confirm who is a cut and who is being skipped. Each lawn foreman then gets the sheet with the lawns to cut and skip that day.
We feel as if there is an easier way to go about this possibly utilizing technology. What does everyone else do out there for large lawn lists? This is very time consuming and a pain in the butt.
I've used clip for years...it'll take less than 10 minutes to print all your route sheets each day after you set it up...
If you go with the clip2go addon, you send days routes/data to a on online website where your crews can access the jobs, record start and stop times..add jobs etc...at end of day you download the data and it records the days jobs as completed...all employee hours are recorded
At end of week or whenever you hit a button and transfer all complted jobs to QuickBooks or bill through clip...
Old 10-12-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
What happens if you lose a day to rain?
Posted via Mobile Device
In clip there is an interface to reschedule jobs or they wll show up at top of your route sheet the next day...easy to reschedule an entire weeks worth of work...