Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Federal Shutdown Leaves Pesticides and Ag Chemicals Stuck at Ports

Federal Shutdown Leaves Pesticides and Ag Chemicals Stuck at Ports
By James Andrews
Food Safety News
October 10, 2013

While the government shutdown has spurred much discussion over the fate of federal food surveillance, the agriculture industry may soon feel the biggest impact from furloughs at another federal agency: the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

In the 10 days since the shutdown went into effect, millions of dollars of imported agricultural chemicals have been stuck at U.S. ports because EPA personnel are not on hand to approve them for entry.

If the shutdown persists for weeks or months, the issue could have a much bigger impact on the food supply than furloughs at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, said Edward Ruckert, an agriculture and trade attorney at McDermott Will & Emery in Washington, D.C.

The list of chemicals being barred from entry includes pesticides, experimental samples of chemicals for EPA testing, and active ingredients intended to be formulated into products sold to farmers. The longer the supplies remain stuck in port warehouses or held on shipping freighters, the lower the supplies run for use in the U.S., said Dr. Ray McAllister, senior director of regulatory policy at CropLife America, the trade organization representing agricultural chemical manufacturers.

At the same time, shipping containers may receive fines for staying in port, unable to unload cargo that requires paperwork to be processed by EPA employees.

The problem stems from the fact that EPA must approve all imported agricultural chemicals for entry to the U.S. with a “Notice of Arrival” form. According to ABC News, however, EPA has furloughed approximately 96 percent of its staff in the shutdown, meaning that there is no one available in regional offices to approve chemical imports. (By comparison, FDA and CDC have furloughed about 45 and 68 percent of their employees, respectively.)

“Manufacturers face difficult decisions regarding shipments about to be sent or already en route, which could also be held up at ports of entry,” McAllister wrote in a press statement. “It may not take long for the bottlenecks to have an effect on supplies of crop-protection products for agriculture, now and in the coming growing season.”

Right now, the major inconvenience has fallen on chemical manufacturers and importers, and farmers likely won’t see the impact unless the shutdown lasts a while longer, Ruckert said.

Asked about the impact if the shutdown persists for months, Ruckert told Food Safety News the bottleneck could cause a shortage of chemicals and “significant problems,” such as a rise in the prices of domestically produced chemicals for farmers.

CropLife America did not immediately have statistics available on the percentage of agricultural chemicals used in the U.S. that are imported versus those domestically produced.

Applications for new agricultural chemicals are also on hold until Congress passes its budget, as well as applications for any new uses of existing products, Ruckert added.

When it comes to pesticides and other agricultural chemicals, Ruckert said the one functional element is for emergency exemptions, such as if states need approval to use a pesticide or other chemical.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our government is a joke. Top to bottom.

We need to quit worrying about what we can do to benefit me and what can benefit this country as a whole.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You got that right!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
Our government is a joke. Top to bottom.

We need to quit worrying about what we can do to benefit me and what can benefit this country as a whole.
Posted via Mobile Device
Big O.....you listening to this?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have to become a 3rd world nation before we can be placed under the global governance... It would be best to stop believing that this is incompetence and see it for what it is...
Old 10-12-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Hopefully the government gets their act together And restores all services they provide.
Why? They're useless. I just hope people come to realize that this "shutdown" has caused little difference and we can do without those leaches that are sucking our tax dollars. That will be a start. Then get rid of the Congress and the House and Obama and maybe we will have a chance. It's like when your toilet bowl gets full. Time to flush.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
Why? They're useless. I just hope people come to realize that this "shutdown" has caused little difference and we can do without those leaches that are sucking our tax dollars. That will be a start. Then get rid of the Congress and the House and Obama and maybe we will have a chance. It's like when your toilet bowl gets full. Time to flush.
I was thinking the same thing at the time he posted that but wasn't sure how to word my response. Yours is a pretty good analogy.

One of the biggest problems we have is "ALL" of the services they provide. We don't need them "ALL". We need a select few. In spite of what some of our leaders think, the Federal government doesn't need their hand in everything. Our government is led by a bunch of self serving clowns who will bring our great country down if we don't do something about it soon. We need to clean house...literally.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for posting this article Ric. The between-the-lines takeaway here, for me, is surprise and alarm at how much of our Ag chemicals originate outside the USA. Let's hope that no matter what our political preferences are that this (problem described in the article) and other damaging side affects of the political standoff in Washington can be resolved before irreparable harm has been done.

Glad that other garbage in this thread has been cleaned up.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Thanks for posting this article Ric. The between-the-lines takeaway here, for me, is surprise and alarm at how much of our Ag chemicals originate outside the USA. Let's hope that no matter what our political preferences are that this (problem described in the article) and other damaging side affects of the political standoff in Washington can be resolved before irreparable harm has been done.

Glad that other garbage in this thread has been cleaned up.
I posted this as a FYI because we might be faced with a product shortage because of the Shut Down. My intentions were never for it to take a granola nut tree hugger left turn like it did.

Not only are many Fert & Squirt Products made over seas, But many of the American plants are owned by offshore companies. But I have given up discussing politics on the internet. Therefore I will not be discussing world trade and globalization.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Save for DuPont and Dow, most T & O companies are European. FMC has much of their raw material that they package in the US made in China. Most post patent AIs are made in China as well.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738