Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Expanding Business To Include Lawn & Yard Care

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and there seems to be some very knowledgable business owners here so I decided to join.

As the title of the thread suggests, I'm expanding my business to include lawn & yard care. I started my company offering professional handyman services doing all sorts of home improvements and repairs. A few years after starting the handyman service I began marketing my custom wood furniture and cabinetry. Everything was going well until 2008. It has been 5 years and the home improvement and custom woodwork industries still haven't fully recovered. So now it is time for another change/growth opportunity. I've adjusted my business plan and I'm making the transition into lawn & yard care.

I'm no stranger to hard work and long hours but I'm a firm believer in maintaining an organized operation and investing in my business to make physical work less demanding and more profitable. I've worked for other organizations that were everything but organized and I helped these inefficiency experts get and stay organized while increasing their profit margins. It has been my experience that many problems within a business can be traced directly back to a lack of proper leadership and management of the organization. As a small business owner, I focus on creating a successful and profitable business so that I have a business to run and not just a job that takes up way too much of my time.

Anyway, this post is starting to get a little long so I'll just wrap it by saying that I have made another investment in my business and will be venturing off into the lawn & yard care industry as A. W. Landscapers, Inc. I'm sure I'll have some questions from time to time and I'm sure I will learn a lot from the talented and successful business owners on the wonderful site. I hope I will be able to help each of you with your businesses and I'd like to thank LawnSite and the Sponsors for providing this valuable resource.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 10-12-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

best of luck to you. this industry is still in the recovery phase too. It is saturated with people who have been in construction and need another source of income. In GA, a $50 lawn 5 years ago is now a $35 lawn. With all of your overhead (im guessing that your equipment is new) you need to be maintaining around 40-60 properties in order to make a decent profit. I hope you can get those accounts so you can send a crew out while still running the remodeling business. Its going to be a rough 1 or 2 years, but people like us will always pull through.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck .......personaly I think you have too many irons in the fire. Lawn Care is a non stop business.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
best of luck to you. this industry is still in the recovery phase too. It is saturated with people who have been in construction and need another source of income. In GA, a $50 lawn 5 years ago is now a $35 lawn. With all of your overhead (im guessing that your equipment is new) you need to be maintaining around 40-60 properties in order to make a decent profit. I hope you can get those accounts so you can send a crew out while still running the remodeling business. Its going to be a rough 1 or 2 years, but people like us will always pull through.
Thanks. There are several upscale residential neighborhoods in my area that I am/will be targeting heavily. Most of the properties are 1 to 5 acres in these neighborhoods.

The Hustler and eXmark are new, the Scag was purchased used at a good price, and the edger, hedge trimmer and FS90 trimmer are also new. The rest I already owned. The goal is to have enough accounts at the start of the 2015 season to keep a crew busy. That's about a year and a half from now so it's going to take a lot of hustling on my Hustler and off my Hustler to reach the goal.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 10-13-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Daughter Lawn care View Post
Good Luck .......personaly I think you have too many irons in the fire. Lawn Care is a non stop business.
Being a business owner is a non stop business and sometimes being able to do many things really well for your clients is a good thing for a business. I'd rather make a profit by having Mrs. Jones pay me to mow her lawn than not make a profit because she is not remodel her kitchen. My services are geared towards improving the homes of my clients...both interior and exterior.

Some clients like to deal with one person/company/contractor and some clients are still willing to pay a premium to deal with the one guy they know they can trust to get the job done right. I'm that guy.

One of the great things about making custom wood furniture for my clients is that I build on my schedule. I build projects on commission and I build projects for my showroom which are available for purchase. Everything is produced on my schedule. When I contract with a client I tell them when I will have their piece completed. If they want/need it sooner and I know I will be able to get it completed prior to their deadline by adjusting my schedule/working overtime, they will pay a higher price for this service.

I run a very lean operation. I manage my time wisely and I keep the company and myself out of debt. I know my limitations and I know when to do the work myself and when to sub a job out and when to refer the client to another contractor.

There are many lawn care companies on this site alone that also do what I would consider handyman type work...hang Christmas lights, clean gutters, pressure washing, etc. I guess I'm just doing it backwards by doing all those things, as well as, building decks, pergolas, sheds, fences, swing sets, de-weeding flowerbeds, planting trees, shrubs and flowers, as well as, repairing retaining walls, steps, walkways, decks, fences, and a whole bunch of other things before I started to mow, trim, edge, blow, seed and fertilize the lawn...What could I possibly be thinking??? Sorry if you feel I'm stepping on your turf (pun intended) but don't worry it will be a long time before my company is ready to expand into the Indiana market.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 10-13-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have it figured out before you even got a foot in the door. When you break it down, all you have to do is wake up at the crack on dawn and work. Just work work work.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I did have it all figured out.

Sod goes green side up right?
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's sod? HaHa... Sounds to me like you are a hard worker with a good business sense. And yes, there are talented and successful business owners on this site for sure. There are unfortunately also "haters" and guys who just want to stir up trouble. Weeding all of it out is easy however because it only takes one or two posts to realize this... Check out ETW's thread in the picture section... ETW is short for Earth, Turf, and Wood.. He is out of Penn. and started by mowing and is now into million dollar hardscapes but he always has great business nuggets of info... There are a bunch more that are worth perusing you just have to search... Anyway, welcome to the wild and crazy world of LawnSite
Old 10-14-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
What's sod? HaHa... Sounds to me like you are a hard worker with a good business sense. And yes, there are talented and successful business owners on this site for sure. There are unfortunately also "haters" and guys who just want to stir up trouble. Weeding all of it out is easy however because it only takes one or two posts to realize this... Check out ETW's thread in the picture section... ETW is short for Earth, Turf, and Wood.. He is out of Penn. and started by mowing and is now into million dollar hardscapes but he always has great business nuggets of info... There are a bunch more that are worth perusing you just have to search... Anyway, welcome to the wild and crazy world of LawnSite
Thanks for the friendly welcome.

I started checking out ETW's thread yesterday but I barely but a dent in viewing all 285 pages.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 10-15-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha, I know, took me a while to get through also. There are tons of great threads... You sound like a smart guy and I'm sure I don't have to tell you to take everything with a grain of salt...