You threatening to move again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You threatening to move again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Just poking fun at everyone who doesn't live here and "thinks" we don't make any money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Just poking fun at everyone who doesn't live here and "thinks" we don't make any money.
Posted via Mobile Device
If only we could push snow! Maybe then we could make some money?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
If only we could push snow! Maybe then we could make some money?
Diamond, this reel mowing deal has lead me into the area that lawn boy wet dreams are made of. I do not even know what to say at this point! LRPH is crazy when you reach this client base, almost to a point that I feel guilty. A base that I did not even think was here in my area just opened up to me, but clearly is here. Folks that have money apparently talk and actually appreciate quality in a totally different venue that what even what I would describe as upper middle class . I thought my labor rate per man hour was good for essentially just basic mowing or simple shrub care....the fact is that reel mowing has led me to the promised land. Do not get me wrong I have no problem with my crew mowing lawns that we are making well over $80 a man hour for mowing and basic trim edge blow...but this reel mowing is leading me to a totally different class of customers that understand the importance it plays in the appearance they want....knowing that they can only achieve it one way here.....my chemical sub loves me because suddenly 2 to 3 million dollar homes that he cares for.....he has a solution to tell him in Central Florida ...who they can rely on for great reel service and nice employees who speak english without neck tattoos and who do not appear to be casing the place.........it is all falling together in a way that I did not ever feel was appropriate for my county besides its annual gross income per person...it is here and I am happy. Loves you all including Green Doc for your info and support in showing me the proper way even besides my hard headedness it is all paying off.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, what kind of mower are you running now? Although it really does not matter. What matters is keeping the blades backlapped and adjusted. Also be sure that the guys cross cut and change the patterns of cut every week. Creating grooves in a lawn because the cut pattern is not changed. Those are the two reasons why I find it better to do my own mowing.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This is why you have the "TALK" right off the bat with new customers. Put it in BOLD writing in your policy and procedure paper new customers get. Theres never a problem when they get the 5 mows in a month in July. It's always the end of the month in December when you are hunting down the check and they present you with a half payment and the "why should I pay for a full month excuse". This is usually only a problem with the new to having a lawn service customers. You just have to find the route the customer understands. The per cut times 42 cuts over 12 months or 1 year divided by 12 months "I'm doing you a favor financing a year of service for you" tactic. Mine get the you are paying for a month of service, not a specific number of visits. You get more service for less money in summer and a little less for the same money in the winter.
I have had that same TALK with customers who have a short memory and are not aware of certain factors and issues. I do not charge extra for the occasions when I need to come at 14 day intervals to apply insecticides or herbicides to eradicate an infestation. No extra charge when I first acquire the account and it is a mess that the average landscaper would bulldoze and do over. No extra charge for when the zoysia or bermuda is incorrectly maintained and I need to take it down -4 inches in one week. Most "landscapers" and lawn people want big money for the one time cut down before they will even do routine mowing. I do have one that does not want to be on regular monthly service. Just calls me. Fine. Invoice for that account is what I would charge per month to service and a bit extra for the hassle.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Diamond, this reel mowing deal has lead me into the area that lawn boy wet dreams are made of. I do not even know what to say at this point! LRPH is crazy when you reach this client base, almost to a point that I feel guilty. A base that I did not even think was here in my area just opened up to me, but clearly is here. Folks that have money apparently talk and actually appreciate quality in a totally different venue that what even what I would describe as upper middle class . I thought my labor rate per man hour was good for essentially just basic mowing or simple shrub care....the fact is that reel mowing has led me to the promised land. Do not get me wrong I have no problem with my crew mowing lawns that we are making well over $80 a man hour for mowing and basic trim edge blow...but this reel mowing is leading me to a totally different class of customers that understand the importance it plays in the appearance they want....knowing that they can only achieve it one way here.....my chemical sub loves me because suddenly 2 to 3 million dollar homes that he cares for.....he has a solution to tell him in Central Florida ...who they can rely on for great reel service and nice employees who speak english without neck tattoos and who do not appear to be casing the place.........it is all falling together in a way that I did not ever feel was appropriate for my county besides its annual gross income per person...it is here and I am happy. Loves you all including Green Doc for your info and support in showing me the proper way even besides my hard headedness it is all paying off.
Yea I still can't believe the deal I fell into. I thought my Mclane would remain a novelty for personal use. GreenDoc has given me some invaluable info in setting it up and its daily care. Its great having yards that pay 5x the usual rate. The only problem is right now they are all mine until I get the boys up to speed on these kind of props. Not the usual mow n go with a little trim.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yea I still can't believe the deal I fell into. I thought my Mclane would remain a novelty for personal use. GreenDoc has given me some invaluable info in setting it up and its daily care. Its great having yards that pay 5x the usual rate. The only problem is right now they are all mine until I get the boys up to speed on these kind of props. Not the usual mow n go with a little trim.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lawn not cross cut=FIRED!, Pattern of mow not changed at every mow=FIRED! Usage of string when an edger or counter-rotating trimmer is going to leave a better finish=FIRED!!!!! You told them how a lawn should be groomed. This is your business and employees who go through the motions and then get you in trouble with your clientele should not be allowed. At the same time, I dispose of the idea of mass productions. I call that MESS production. There is no need to run from lawn to lawn trying to mow 15-20 lawns a day. Not when each one pays way more than the one out of 20 in a day that gets the butcher and blow treatment. I know several mowing operations that I could hand off mowing to. But it would never work because the owner might mean well, however the crew that he sends out to mow my accounts will cut in the same pattern every time, run a dull/out of adjustment machine on the lawn, use string, and just not give a shizz. They also work on the MESS production model. Charge low prices and have to do 50 homes a week per crew to make ends meet. Clients can tell when you are a perfectionist and care about what you are doing. The ones that cannot afford you will be honest about that from the start. The ones for whom quality of work matters pick up on what you are about and have no problems paying accordingly. Rolling a Greensmaster off the truck helps. So does the first time they see a Landscape Blade fired up and cutting grass. Then again, that device looks rather like a medieval weapon even if it is not running.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Lawn not cross cut=FIRED!, Pattern of mow not changed at every mow=FIRED! Usage of string when an edger or counter-rotating trimmer is going to leave a better finish=FIRED!!!!! You told them how a lawn should be groomed. This is your business and employees who go through the motions and then get you in trouble with your clientele should not be allowed. At the same time, I dispose of the idea of mass productions. I call that MESS production. There is no need to run from lawn to lawn trying to mow 15-20 lawns a day. Not when each one pays way more than the one out of 20 in a day that gets the butcher and blow treatment. I know several mowing operations that I could hand off mowing to. But it would never work because the owner might mean well, however the crew that he sends out to mow my accounts will cut in the same pattern every time, run a dull/out of adjustment machine on the lawn, use string, and just not give a shizz. They also work on the MESS production model. Charge low prices and have to do 50 homes a week per crew to make ends meet. Clients can tell when you are a perfectionist and care about what you are doing. The ones that cannot afford you will be honest about that from the start. The ones for whom quality of work matters pick up on what you are about and have no problems paying accordingly. Rolling a Greensmaster off the truck helps. So does the first time they see a Landscape Blade fired up and cutting grass. Then again, that device looks rather like a medieval weapon even if it is not running.
That's exactly why i go for the high end stuff...they just make you so much more money. One thing that i hate dealing with are people that complain over having to replace a few plants here or there, or that question every little thing. I've found you don't deal with that on the high end. There are multi million dollar companies here that only work in one or two locations. There is a reason for that. Its not an arrogance thing either, if most lco could get these homes they would.
Posted via Mobile Device