Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-12-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
You need a vent or it will splash...
Yes. thats why you cut a hole in the top. unlike stated above. it only takes a few seconds.

in fact one of my cans i bumped into with my mower, the mower did it for me. didn't take any time.

oh. another point, the cans with vents in the spout, well, they suck. the fuel coming out the end seas off the air.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

When I push the button to "vent" gas shoots out of the nozzle regardless of its attitude. I'm glad your illegal immigrants have figured it out, but I'm still convinced these cans suck ass...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Where is the vent located?
Posted via Mobile Device
If you just push the trigger with the can level it will let the pressure equalize. If you tilt the can to pour and push the trigger when the can is pressurized then your going to make a mess. I have done this one time myself but then you learn pretty quickly and don't repeat the easy to avoid mistake again.

Also don't confuse No Spill cans with the crap ones sold at mass merchandisers. No Spill cans are not sold at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, ect. They do sell some other push button ones that are crap.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
If you just push the trigger with the can level it will let the pressure equalize. If you tilt the can to pour and push the trigger when the can is pressurized then your going to make a mess. I have done this one time myself but then you learn pretty quickly and don't repeat the easy to avoid mistake again.

Also don't confuse No Spill cans with the crap ones sold at mass merchandisers. No Spill cans are not sold at Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, ect. They do sell some other push button ones that are crap.
even holding them up when you press the button and all the pressure is pushed out you can see "fumes" rusing out.

probably more of an issue with smaller cans
Old 10-12-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
even holding them up when you press the button and all the pressure is pushed out you can see "fumes" rusing out.

probably more of an issue with smaller cans
Regular cans put off fumes the same way it's just not contained. Even with the fumes that come out of the No Spill can when you pull the trigger your letting way less fumes then escape a pre-CARB can. You just don't see the fumes venting 24/7 out of pre-CARB cans.

Once the space in the No Spill can becomes saturated it stops generating more fumes and the atmospheric pressure stops rising. Keeping the cans out of the sun will greatly work in your favor by lowering the point of saturation and not allowing pressure to build up as much.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-12-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you could be right on the amount. although my old ones with caps didnt let it evaporate much, but because it was not quite air tight it could not pressurize. even if it costs a few cents of fuel a month, i prefer not to have cans building up pressure and becoming an explosive fire hazard.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I recently bought an easy pour kit, that included a new spout and a vent cap, from tractor supply for $9.99. Now my can works just like the old ones. It's a good setup. I also ordered several vent caps from eBay to use on my 1 gallon cans. I found you really don't even need a new spout if you put a vent in the can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Sponsor

No-Spill is hands down the best available solution. Its DOT approved and the spout can be replaced if needed. People always ask if the spout can be used on other gas cans...unfortunately the answer is no. It only fits on the No-Spill cans.

Different sizes also available in diesel (yellow) & kerosene (blue)

http://www.propartsdirect.net/pages/...Category/15048

Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i still think its funny, they spilled some gas in their commercial
Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaulMcCai View Post
I had to get a couple of gas cans but the new ones suck the bone. You cannot pour them without having a little ridge to press the nozzle against and they don't breath when being poured very well and they spill more gas than ever.

So First I got a racing gas can. They come in neat cubic shape five gallon sizes and are unaffected by the new regulations and the lawsuits by stupid people who sued the can makers after throwing gas from a can on a fire and burning themselves.
It's never the lawyers, it's the stupid people who call them who are itching to sue some one.

Anyways The Racing cans don't come in small sizes that are so handy for littler machines.

So I reached into my tool box and did two things:
I drilled the nozzles out with a large drill bit destroying the lock out mechanism so that they just pour when I tilt them. But I still needed a vent.
Then I grabbed a water line tap available in any hardware store.
Like so:
Attachment 271151

Attachment 271152

Attachment 271153

Works Great~!! I had to use a hand drill with a little bit to make the hole as you can't squeeze the tap down like you would on a copper pipe. The seal is good and I can vent my can at will.
I'm a plumber and I can appreciate that! Improvise baby!
Posted via Mobile Device