Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimkill View Post
I am purchasing two of these mowers next week with 72" decks, wanted to know how do the flex forks hold up on that size of deck. Also wanted to know what has been going bad? belts, spindles, pully's, etc. Also fuel consumption with the fx1000 engines please any info will be greatly appreciated. I am also getting the bag vac system, so if any of you own that let me know too. Thank you.
What size deck do you run now? A 72" deck will scalp a lot more than a 60" if the ground is not smooth. When you put the collection system on the 72 it will be VERY wide. Make sure you have enough room on the trailer & properties. I had a 72 once but it was just too big except for a few places. Just letting you know.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That's funny Mick, cant imagine that poor guy's stress level LOL. The hydraulic oil can boil possibly that is a concern what outside temps cause that? The hottest we get down here is 106 F I that only happens for about a week. Humidity here is the killer more than the hot temps. I have to wait for the trailer construction and as I have said in the past my dealer is awesome, so will ask him to fully check out machines for me also. I asked him for whatever they have seen fail that's weird to send me, and interestingly they put in the front forks on my order. They said on the 72 they have had a couple machines in with broken forks. I will inquire about the hydraulic temp issue too. Thank you very much. Puppy Paws why haven't you chimed in am curious to here your input being we are going to have the same configurations.
The flex forks work great on the 72, of course you can make them dip slightly if stopping really fast, but like with anything else; the feel of how you handle the mower will come to you naturally after operating it for a short time. The improvement of ride outweighs any negative one may find, which is easily remedied after developing feel which will come with additional seat time.

I will be very interested in you checking the speed of your new mowers. I believe you will find their top speed to be a little fast for mowing, and believe me, I will be the first to say I did not think a mower could run too fast for my cutting situation. Most people have no idea what cutting at an actual 15+ mph honestly feels like.

My older Super Z which I ran yesterday will cut at approximately 12 to 12.5 mph, a speed I actually find myself wanting to increase in many areas; but is really an extremely comfortable cutting speed.

The 72 HyperDrive will cut at 15+ mph without any problem, but this gets somewhat uncomfortable. I've found that my body can handle cutting in the 14 mph speed range relatively well, and the productivity is really hard to comprehend until someone experiences it for themselves.

You've got to have open areas that are relatively smooth to cut at the faster speeds offered by the new Super Z, but it can still increase productivity if cutting strips no longer than 100', and this is due to the fact it reaches its faster speed much quicker. Once you start, the mower has covered 100' faster than you realize, and this is increased productivity. With the HyperDrive hydraulics you will find yourself at the end of your straight pass, turned around and heading back before your brain registers fully what has just taken place.

Make sure to come back and give us your thoughts on the new mowers and how they feel when attempting to mow at top speed, I believe you are about to get a real surprise.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks Mic, I will keep an eye on all of that. I guess we do run a little hotter down here once I did the conversions from F to C. Right now we are averaging 94 F and its coming into our cooler months. I hope that is just a freak deal with one machine. I am getting the hustler just based on how well my 2005 held up in comparison to my 2011 ferris nightmare. Apparently according to pupster just the difference in deck size should increase productivity by 33%. With the extra speed maybe I will be in the 40% range which is inconceivable to me having two of them with that sort of productivity will give me tons of room for expansion. Thank's again hey how is your cut problem going has it been resolved yet or still giving you problems?
Hey it's Puppy buddy , Are you sure the Ferris 3100 was not you ? I am sorry it turned out like that for you all but alot of people on here really like them and said you abused the 3100.

Puppy even say's the 3100 would be one of his choices, but I think he is lying to make them feel good about their girly man 3100?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
What size deck do you run now? A 72" deck will scalp a lot more than a 60" if the ground is not smooth. When you put the collection system on the 72 it will be VERY wide. Make sure you have enough room on the trailer & properties. I had a 72 once but it was just too big except for a few places. Just letting you know.
I do not know what kind of 72 you bought but I will tell you a 72 is a vastly superior mower to a 60 overall. My 72 will out cut my 60 bad and both are Super Z's with the XR7.

They only scalp a little more, the big deck mowers that scalp bad do so because the wheels are not spaced out far enough. The problem with a 72 is on uneven ground they can have a tendancy to cut uneven patches where it may need a little touch up weed eating but overall in my area the properties like that were rare.

I found they are good on steep hills 2 and never give a hint of wanting to go over.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Thank's again hey how is your cut problem going has it been resolved yet or still giving you problems?
Hard to say! Is so dry here atm but what I am cutting is being spread very well, for the most part. Im still waiting on some bits n pieces to try out as when we do start getting rain, Im sure the clumps will happen again.
What I will say is Im sure I would of got at least some clumping if not for my mods but I have been very pleased lately with the discharge. But like I said, its super dry, mini drought at the moment. Moisture in the grass obviously plays a big part in the problem.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
ArTurf I run a 2011 61" Ferris IS3100zp and a 2005 60" hustler Z. I am purchasing a 8.5'x24' enclosed trailer at the same time as the super z's so should have enough width. No the ground here is not smooth but I have 2 weed trimmer guys running full time with the two mowers and after mowers are done those guys jump on the other trimmers to finish the job asap. Most of my properties are from 5-16 acres in size some small 1/4 acre home sites but only a hand full of those. I believe the 72" Is the best size based on the size of most of my accounts.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Hey it's Puppy buddy , Are you sure the Ferris 3100 was not you ? I am sorry it turned out like that for you all but alot of people on here really like them and said you abused the 3100.

Puppy even say's the 3100 would be one of his choices, but I think he is lying to make them feel good about their girly man 3100?
Sorry for the disrespect Puppy. Are you sure the Ferris 3100 was not you ? What? I don't understand? I did have a guy that most everyone here said abused the machine, so I went out to each job site un announce to check if he was and ended up firing him two weeks after I posted the video. The deck of the ferris is weak abuse or no abuse. My hustler had that same guy operating it for 2 years and did not bend the ferris bent and broke. Yeah still have the ferris copied the deck but with much heavier guage steel and it's cutting fine. Lost a hydro pump at 1032 hours. Hustler over 2000 hrs weak hydro's now but still running. This is why I am going with Hustler's now.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Puppypaws, Thanks for responding I was waiting for you as I mentioned in this thread. If you believe that the flex forks will hold up I will get them. I personally now do not actually cut myself but once a month my crew does that as I am now tied up with collecting money (A Nightmare down here), getting new business, and managing the business, and working on other projects. I am excited about seeing productivity go up being that most of my properties are so large I really believe the combination of speed and deck size will really have a great result for me. Even at 14mph that is way faster than both of my current machines. Can you see the caster forks breaking my dealer said he has had a few of them go, does that make sense? Do you think the Flex Forks would last longer and possibly stop breaking due to shock absorbtion? Just would Like to here some input here. Thank you for responding along with everyone else. Please keep it coming.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
ArTurf I run a 2011 61" Ferris IS3100zp and a 2005 60" hustler Z. I am purchasing a 8.5'x24' enclosed trailer at the same time as the super z's so should have enough width. No the ground here is not smooth but I have 2 weed trimmer guys running full time with the two mowers and after mowers are done those guys jump on the other trimmers to finish the job asap. Most of my properties are from 5-16 acres in size some small 1/4 acre home sites but only a hand full of those. I believe the 72" Is the best size based on the size of most of my accounts.
5-16 acres, wow. I see the need for the larger decks. Are there many spaces on the small lots that the 72 will not fit where the 60 did. Maybe one 72 and one 60 mower? But whatever works for you as you know your situation better than anyone else.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Puppypaws, Thanks for responding I was waiting for you as I mentioned in this thread. If you believe that the flex forks will hold up I will get them. I personally now do not actually cut myself but once a month my crew does that as I am now tied up with collecting money (A Nightmare down here), getting new business, and managing the business, and working on other projects. I am excited about seeing productivity go up being that most of my properties are so large I really believe the combination of speed and deck size will really have a great result for me. Even at 14mph that is way faster than both of my current machines. Can you see the caster forks breaking my dealer said he has had a few of them go, does that make sense? Do you think the Flex Forks would last longer and possibly stop breaking due to shock absorbtion? Just would Like to here some input here. Thank you for responding along with everyone else. Please keep it coming.
They beefed the rubber composition in the flex forks, I bought the first set my dealer had come into his business, and it was only "one" set that arrived at that particular time. The best I can remember they began weakening at around 100 hrs., and they were replaced at 150 hrs. The next set seem to be manufactured from a more stiff rubber and are still running with no problems at close to 1200 hrs.

I feel they definitely had to strengthen the forks on the 72 with its extended length, if not it would spring around like a jack-in-the-box, and I have not noticed this in the least.

You've got to stop collecting money long enough to run the mower and at least give us your thoughts, and hopefully give us a speed. I can promise you this, and come back to correct me if I'm wrong, you are about to have your mind blown by what this machine is capable of productivity-wise, and I mean totally blown, you will honestly find it hard to believe.