Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-12-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Here we go!

Created this site a little while ago just to say "of course I have a website". I have started reading in here and want to learn all I can to make the site into a beneficial tool for my company. All criticism and thoughts are appreciated. Remember, I have no clue what I'm doing, lol.

www.absoluteoutdoorz.com
Old 10-12-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A to Z, I like that. lol

A website is always a work in progress, not a bad start but plenty of room to improve just like mine.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha, I'm glad you picked up on that. When I picked the name I had the A to Z in mind as a 'tag line' so to speak.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Updated a few things and added a facebook button. What do you think? Anything I should change?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is going to be one of those little nits to pick, but I think you should carry your A to Z logo element through to your typed name, as well. Instead of writing it as "Absolute Outdoorz", I'd pull from your logo and type it as "Absolute OutdoorZ".

- I really like the logo and clean layout. Nice job!

- Think about your core, customer demographic. Are they closer to 25 years old or do they lean towards 50+? Think of all of your visitors and bump up the menu font size to something along the lines of 1.4em. I'd also bump the body content font up a bit, too.

- Love to see that it's mobile-friendly, but you might want to tweak the mobile-menu's colors. It introduces colors that aren't native to your design.

- Home page: add a bit more, relevant content (read: useful keywords) to your page. Add a brief blurb about your varied services.

- I think you could really flesh out some of your Service page content. Think in how the terms people would use to search for someone who does what you do.

- Photo Gallery looks good, but you could do a bit better job of writing to the photos "Pool After" and "Sod Job", while at their core are concisely descriptive, they're not going to win you any search engine love. "Pool Cleaning Service: After" or "Sod installation" are examples of changes that might help your cause.

- Going back to the Services page, I don't see you mentioning anything about pools there. If you do it, list it and write a bit about what you provide. I stumbled across this offering via the gallery, but you might not be so lucky with a potential customer. I'd also add a photo to each section. Punch it up a bit and sell on your previous work. If you do a rock patio, show me a rock patio.

- Contact page, you have a picture that's best suited for your About Us page (plus, the image is reversed and all text is backwards). Show me a picture of you wearing your company attire, or standing in a lawn.

-If you're going to have a Tips page, get more search engine-friendly with that one. There should be something you could add to "Tips" (outdoor, property maintenance, lawn care, whatever). Also, if you're going to have the page, have more than one tip. Don't make me ask "Why did I bother clicking this?".

All in all, it's a nice job and great start.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you tonygreek. I will address all these items this weekend. I know NOTHING about search engine yada, yada, yada, but these all seem like good ideas to implement.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

something similar to what Tony said about the gallery pics occurred to me - you have some great opportunities for search engine lovin' as well as helping folks know what they're looking at. Almost treat it like mini case studies. The one that jumped out at me was the valve box repair pic. If you can say what the problem was, how you found it, how you fixed it, and how it helps the overall landscape to have a solid irrigation system, that's a) a lot of expert authority and b) a lot of chances to throw in a little SEO love
Old 01-24-2014, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you. I will use everything you guys suggested while I update. Sounds like I need to learn about search engine opt too.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

shane, I ran your site through an SEO audit tool and it says you need to fix a few things.

Read through the suggestions and try to fix it. If you have questions or need help just ask.

Also, I couldn't find your listing in Google Place for business. Have you gone through submitting your site to these business review and directory sites?
Old 01-26-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting to make changes today. I was on Google places just didn't have a picture, now I do. It said I was 100% now. Thanks.