Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag SW 48A-17KA Smoking Motor

I have a scag 48" Advantage mower with a badly smoking engine. The engine is a Kawasaki FH500VB76228. What are my options? Can I get it bored, an oversized cylinder and new rings or do I need a new engine.

I would appreciate any advise. Thank you and have a good day.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are MANY MANY reasons your engine could be smoking and many different types of smoke. Here is a site where you can self diagnose and help yourself. http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm we have no way to say you`re rings are bad or valve stem seals are wore out. or you have an oil leak on a hot pipe. Without seeing it and or diagnosing it on a more in depth level. But if you could follow some of this guide and find out a diagnosis perhaps we can suggest a course of action
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Brantley... Boring small engines is not cost effective...
Your best bet is to disassemble the engine and see what is causing it to smoke..
If the cylinders aren't damaged..new rings...gaskets...and seals might fix it...
Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
There are MANY MANY reasons your engine could be smoking and many different types of smoke. Here is a site where you can self diagnose and help yourself. http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lmfaq.htm we have no way to say you`re rings are bad or valve stem seals are wore out. or you have an oil leak on a hot pipe. Without seeing it and or diagnosing it on a more in depth level. But if you could follow some of this guide and find out a diagnosis perhaps we can suggest a course of action

I realize you are brand new on this forum.....but....
Links to other sites is prohibited...
Just put things in your own words and tell us what you know...
Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Just put things in your own words and tell us what you know...

I'd rather see that than links to other places...... Makes one look more professional.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank y'all for your initial advice. It is a mower that a friend of mine has. I was wanting to buy it and think I can get it for around $200.

Where can I find engine parts (rings, gaskets and seals) for the Kawasaki FH500VB ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here; http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Are there any other brand motors that will fit this mower?

Looking at a Kawasaki replacement and it seems that $1500 will get it--that is more than I want to spend.

I am trying to evaluate the purchase--is it worth my time and money to buy and fix up this motor.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantley View Post
I have a scag 48" Advantage mower with a badly smoking engine. The engine is a Kawasaki FH500VB76228. What are my options? Can I get it bored, an oversized cylinder and new rings or do I need a new engine.

I would appreciate any advise. Thank you and have a good day.
You should do a cyl. leakdown test to find out WHY its smokin. Could be a blown head gasket, could be breather issues, etc.
But to answer your question, yes, the block can be bored O.S. and new O.S. pistons/rings fitted, and you prolly don't need a new engine. BUT....
As others have alluded to, unless you can do the motor work yerself, (aside from the boring, and valve job) yer prolly better off getting a new motor.

You can probably drop a Briggs in it. Contact some vendors such as: http://www.equipatron.com/ or others, they should be able to give ya a heads up. Be aware, most replacement motors don't come with mufflers/exh.

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 10-13-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm pretty hand, mechanically speaking. I rebuilt a Honda Fourtrax 300 and 2 Honda Foreman 450 (one included a complete top end job). So I can do what ever necessary concerning the motor.

On the Foreman it smoked really bad and had slightly low compression. I had the cylinder bored a 1/2 over and installed new piston and rings. I also had the valves cleaned and cut while installing new valve seals.

I have no experience with the Scag motors though so I am a fish out of water per say.

I will attempt to do a leak down and see where my leak is.

I am still having a hard time finding a source for the OS Piston and Rings for the Kawaski Motor. Any ideas or do I just need to call around?