Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Core Aeration Advertising

I wanted to ask this in the other core aeration forum that's active, but didn't wanna hijack the forum.
I was able to obtain a Ryan LawnAire 28 earlier this year. I've been trying to push core aeration and the importance of this service to my customers by including bits of information in the invoices, as well as some reference sites to check out. Most of my customers have never heard of this service. I only know of two other companies in our town of about 120k people that offer this service. We have a lot of good soil in our area, but there's several areas of red clay, as well.
My question is, what's the best way to inform the customer without being overbearing or too pushy? As I said before, I added that information on invoices, and I also put a craigslist ad out with information cited from the Ryan turf care and classen turf care (same company) websites. My next thought has been to do what Noon did and make a video explaining and demonstrating the service. What else can I do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Hate to say it but, you locate where your largest cluster of clients are and perform a aeration on a day when people are out and able to see your service. This service culd be at reduced or free fee just to get people interested. Good luck and have some form of advertizing available when performing service for the curious.
Big Tex 60SP 6.5x16 trailer
John Deere ZTRs 925aEFI 60" 920a 60" 910a 54" (2)
John Deere 7H17/WG32A
Honda HRC216HXA 21" (2)
Little Wonder Leaf Loader and Optimax 570V
Echo/Stihl handheld service equipment
Husquvarna 445/395XP
Western Pro Plus 8.5/ SnowEx SP-1075
Toro 826 OE Snow Thrower
American Family Ins
"making the st.louis area beautiful one lawn at a time"
Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel-nor View Post
Hate to say it but, you locate where your largest cluster of clients are and perform a aeration on a day when people are out and able to see your service. This service culd be at reduced or free fee just to get people interested. Good luck and have some form of advertizing available when performing service for the curious.
I could not agree more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawn View Post
I wanted to ask this in the other core aeration forum that's active, but didn't wanna hijack the forum.
I was able to obtain a Ryan LawnAire 28 earlier this year. I've been trying to push core aeration and the importance of this service to my customers by including bits of information in the invoices, as well as some reference sites to check out. Most of my customers have never heard of this service. I only know of two other companies in our town of about 120k people that offer this service. We have a lot of good soil in our area, but there's several areas of red clay, as well.
My question is, what's the best way to inform the customer without being overbearing or too pushy? As I said before, I added that information on invoices, and I also put a craigslist ad out with information cited from the Ryan turf care and classen turf care (same company) websites. My next thought has been to do what Noon did and make a video explaining and demonstrating the service. What else can I do?
Posted via Mobile Device
I would focus on promoting aeration for what it is meant to be and avoid telling customers that overseeding/aeration go together... bad reputation, right out of the gate...
Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I would focus on promoting aeration for what it is meant to be and avoid telling customers that overseeding/aeration go together... bad reputation, right out of the gate...
Is it really a bad rep that overseeding and aeration go together?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris brauch View Post
Is it really a bad rep that overseeding and aeration go together?
Posted via Mobile Device
The thread was about promoting the benefits of core aeration...
What are the benefits of core aeration??? Does it create a proper seedbed???

Once you tell the client that he could really use core aeration to plant more grass seed,,, then he sees what you got with these "Doll Hair" sprigs of grass, do you think the client is going to be happy that he core aerated instead of seeded???
The core aerator was developed for other purposes, and one seeds afterwards to repair any damage that doesn't grow back...
If the objective is to overseed then one should prepare a seedbed...
Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The thread was about promoting the benefits of core aeration...
What are the benefits of core aeration??? Does it create a proper seedbed???

Once you tell the client that he could really use core aeration to plant more grass seed,,, then he sees what you got with these "Doll Hair" sprigs of grass, do you think the client is going to be happy that he core aerated instead of seeded???
The core aerator was developed for other purposes, and one seeds afterwards to repair any damage that doesn't grow back...
If the objective is to overseed then one should prepare a seedbed...
Actually, this thread is about core aeration advertising. The other thread was about core aeration benefits. I was just wondering what some of y'all do to educate customers (or future customers) and get the word out there in layman's terms, not lawn care professional or horticulturist terms. I just want a way that will spark interest and curiosity and lead to some sales.
I like the previous suggestion of getting out there and doing it so people will see it, even if it means a discounted rate or for free. I have been considering doing so, just haven't done it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawn View Post
Actually, this thread is about core aeration advertising. The other thread was about core aeration benefits. I was just wondering what some of y'all do to educate customers (or future customers) and get the word out there in layman's terms, not lawn care professional or horticulturist terms. I just want a way that will spark interest and curiosity and lead to some sales.
I like the previous suggestion of getting out there and doing it so people will see it, even if it means a discounted rate or for free. I have been considering doing so, just haven't done it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
"...promoting the benefits of core aeration..." is the exact same thing as advertising...

Regardless,,, what do you think people are actually going to see,,, if you do it for a discounted price for all to see???
There are 3 common reasons for aeration and none of them will make dramatic turnarounds for anyone to really notice...
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is your main method of advertising? When you advertise on CL you are targeting the people who don't usually have aeration done.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino

Last edited by Blade Runners; 10-21-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
"...promoting the benefits of core aeration..." is the exact same thing as advertising...

Regardless,,, what do you think people are actually going to see,,, if you do it for a discounted price for all to see???
There are 3 common reasons for aeration and none of them will make dramatic turnarounds for anyone to really notice...
Tomato, tomato.

Bladerunners:
I have not done a lick of advertising aside from that CL ad and my logo on my truck. Passed out a few business cards too. I see what you're saying about the CL thing and the people not knowing about it. But honestly, A LOT of my customers haven't even heard of core aeration. I'd say 99% of my lawns have never had it done.
Posted via Mobile Device