The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Funny....looks just like Florida
Posted via Mobile Device
Aside from it not raining more than 20 inches a year, it could well pass for southern Florida.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-11-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Aside from it not raining more than 20 inches a year, it could well pass for southern Florida.
Hahaha good point...we had one of the wetest summers this year than i could remember.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not an anal control freak about irrigation systems just to satisfy a Napoleon complex. Now if one of my customers were an agronomist or golf super, they could do as they wish. Then again, I have never had someone of that caliber as a client. They would have no need for what I do. Water is a serious issue. 1" of water is applied to that lawn per week. Adjustments downward are possible if the weather turns cold and cloudy over the next months.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Where's the hole and flag? lol Looks great!
They are not into golf. Otherwise, that is a running joke that is very true with all of my clients. I deliver fairway quality lawns unless their turf is St Augustine or Centipede. The only two grasses that should be kept over 2".

Old 10-12-2013, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea our problems are too much water and the dummy homeowner that thinks he needs to water 3-4 days on top of two heavy rainfall per week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Water must be cheap or free in your parts. I am normally under tremendous pressure to minimize the amount of water a landscape needs short of laying astroturf and spreading gravel.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It def helps when we get a normal rainy summer. You can go 6 months with the irrigation shut off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That is El Toro. On Emerald zoysia, you want a very heavy mower that does not allow the reel to pivot up. The Greensmaster rides on a heavy aluminum drum with a steel core in the back. No floating on thicker grasses.
Yeah, I had a Tru Cut and that was ok, had a OFF brand Cal Trimmer and that was ok, but the Locke is more suited for Bermuda, just don't work on Emerald.
I would think the drum would make the reel slide all over the place, have you used it on Emerald yet? What height do you cut Emerald at, I was cutting at .75 but cut at .78 now, will take it down to .50 this spring and dethatch it since it has never been done in 8 years, I have had it top dressed before
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nice...where there is water...when I visited, thought it was gonna look like an Elvis movie..green and lush...on Maui, that's near the resorts! Love it there.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
Yeah, I had a Tru Cut and that was ok, had a OFF brand Cal Trimmer and that was ok, but the Locke is more suited for Bermuda, just don't work on Emerald.
I would think the drum would make the reel slide all over the place, have you used it on Emerald yet? What height do you cut Emerald at, I was cutting at .75 but cut at .78 now, will take it down to .50 this spring and dethatch it since it has never been done in 8 years, I have had it top dressed before
At 220 lbs, there is no sliding. If there is sliding, you are on some kind of grade you have no business growing grass on. I have some Emerald at home contaminating my Tifton 328. Both get cut at 1/2" There is no sliding on the Emerald parts. But, the zoysia is set to be removed with Tenacity herbicide.

Tru-Cut mowers are anything but ok. They are only good for cutting open grasses high like high cut bermuda or St Augustine, or else bermuda or seashore paspalum that is totally flat. Tru-Cuts will not negotiate any kind of bump or unevenness. The lawn has to be granite countertop flat or the cut will suck. You are also in big trouble if the grass has gotten a little thick. That plate style clutch might have been a good idea on the engineer's drawing board, but I would have preferred a drive mechanism capable of locking the reel to the engine. My Greensmaster has taken lawns that the local "landscapers" say are too uneven to cut with a reel and made them look as good as the lawn in the pictures. Well, that and a good liquid fertilizer program.