Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Trimstar gas tank

We just got a new Hustler Trimstar 48" and are planning to use it along with a 2 year old Trimstar 36". We knew the gas tank would be smaller on the 2013 Trimstar, but had another question about the gas tank. The window that lets you see the gas level is blacked out with a plastic cover, so the only way we can find to check our fuel is to remove the cap. At least on our 2011 36" Trimstar, that window is clear so you can quickly tell if you're low on fuel, plus the manual for this new 48" Trimstar also shows a clear fuel window. We thought we'd check here to see if you've made such a change to the gas tank.

Thanks, Hustler.

Sam's Lawn
Old 10-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Sponsor

Sam,
Your new gas tank is the result of the newest EPA rules that have come down. You'll notice a tube place in you fuel opening that will not allow you to fill to the top. This is for a air pocket so hydro carbons to be caught and burned. The clear fuel site tube was also removed because of EPA restrictions. finally you'll see the gas cap is ratcheted. it is not vented like your 36".

Brian O
Old 10-13-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

You know, I used to have a FastTrak SD and that clear fuel window was one the things I loved about the machine. It was easy to see how much fuel was in there without having a fuel gauge. GREAT IDEA!!!

When I went looking for a new mower, I wanted one with the same feature...but they seemed to disappear, now I know why you guys did it.

Though, I don't understand how a clear window effected anything. But hey, I am a guy with a college edjumication and they probably all have PhD's. Probably has something to do with the sun heating up the fuel and evaporation. LOL

Either way now I have a digital gas gauge, another moving part, one that can break and one that ultimately cost me some money.

Anyways, thanks for the great machines!
Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler,
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you know if the low pressure hose, part #787713 that allows oil to spill off the body of the engine is supposed to be included with the 48" Trimstar? It's missing on ours and we weren't sure if you'd quit providing that hose. We used the 48" Trimstar today on a tricky sloped field, and it held traction great.

Thanks, Hustler.

Sam's Lawn
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Sponsor

If you are talking about the oil drain hose Kawasaki was getting skinny on those. I've seen them in some pieces but not all. Local hardware store will have it. Nothing special. Pretty cheap and you can get cut as long as you need. Sometime the ones that come with the unit are short.

Brian O
Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Brian,

So problem on the oil drain hose, we'll take care of it ourselves.
The discharge chute, part #601806 has changed from a rubber style that was on our 2011 36" Trimstar to a hard plastic that springs down unless you tie it up. Do you know if discharge chute #798918 is still available? We like being able to position the discharge chute up or down without having to use a tie down. Especially for loading on the trailer or in tight spaces between bushes, it's nice to be able to have the discharge chute in an up position.

Thanks, Hustler.

Sam's Lawn
Old 10-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Sponsor

I really liked that rubber chute. The issue was over time it would droop down and mess with the distance the grass was thrown.
I'll have to double check if the old fits the new. Maybe the field has a solution to your issues.

Brian O