Register free!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Don't get much haggling on the way I write my bids up
I always sell my self. They can see it in black and white where there money is going .
A lot times if they try talk me down. I tell them lets compare bids. A lump price bid you cant compare to my bids. So customer will call the other contactor and ask. 90% time they don't want to break it down so the Customer cant compare apples to apples . 60% of time I'll get the job.

This is a good selling point for me. I tell them with there bid, you don't really know what you are getting.

Say I have a price of $1.75 per pound of seed and The lawn calls for 600lbs My price is $1050 and other guy has it his bid $400 seed. The lawn size is 60k
My price is broken down, So they know how many pounds per 1k they are getting
The other guy said he putting down 10lb per 1k of turf fescue but at the price of $400. There is no way he is putting down 10lbs. He buys from the same Seed company as I do and use same seed.

I bid on so many state jobs and they have to be itemized

That's funny about your home. My brother in law is a house builder and he breaks his down he been doing it for 20 years.
I put siding on my house and 3 contactors had there bids itemized all the way down to staples for the house wrap. They showed there cost and there markup.

Maybe around here people does it different

I see your point

So if you are building say block wall and you use 50 less blocks do you credit back to customer or do you still make them pay for them since you didn't install them.
But how much construction do you do? Your user name seems to be more heard towards cutting yards....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
But how much construction do you do? Your user name seems to be more heard towards cutting yards....
Posted via Mobile Device
1/3 of my income landscape /hardscape now

in 1981 till 85 that's all we did, in 85 we started mow lawns .

Mowing was maybe 1/3 of are income till last 5 years now its 2/3
This summer and last summer did a lot hardscape in the heat Mowing has drop down to maybe 1/2 on the month scale.

We use to travel with a Contactor Biggest wall I have done was 16ft high and 1200 ft long that was 97 or 98

Biggest Landscape / lite hardscape job was a 2 years project in 94-95 it was 350k help you understand the size we blowed 7,000 square bales of straw Installed about 500 tons of river rock Installed a granite cobble stone walk 100' x 8ft used same stones has a border around all the landscape beds They dug these stones out a old street in Neb. We installed them same way they did 100 yrs ago My Grandpa was the boss of that part. He use to redo streets like that. That was his last job. He died in 98 at the age of 91 I was glad I got work side x side with him.

I been to 5 different states.
The last big scale job we did was in 01-02
Getting older and got tried of the traveling.
So now we just stay home work do smaller scale stuff.
I rather just sit on a mower but when ask, to bid on stuff. Most of time I wont pass on it.
I just don't just mow Im a full service contactor We have 365 day contacts from the lawn to the Snow. I avg in just cutting grass 30k per month on good months 5-10k per month on other work tree,shrub trimming, spraying For the projects I do hard to say for a month or even a year say 10k to 80k
Snow its been high for last few years 50k per winter. Now getting tried of the snow but having the year contacts I have to do that part.
Few more years I'll pass it on to my son.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...ce=49&refid=17
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I always break mine down into 3 categories:

Material (what the customer pays, not what I pay.)
Labor to install said material or service I preform ( not man hours just what I charge per item.)
Delivery fee/ dump fee ( not what it costs me but what I charge. I also waive the delivery fee if I install sometimes depending on what is being done.)

When I trim bushes I don't say $xx.xx per bush, it is just bush trimming or what not plus dump fee.

A lot of times when I bid say a mulch job I will get the material part and the delivery part just not the install part. I'm OK with that as I make a good amount for very little time and expenses. I have also got a few mulch jobs because I break down the labor and they think it is not worth the clean up off their driveway and aches in their backs for that amount.

-Jason
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
This does not make any sense.

A descriptive propos will tell anyone what they are getting.

You want seeding and landscaping done? Then there should be a scaled plan for the landscape install and the proposal should state plant names, qty, and sizes.

It does not matter if the job is $2200.00 or $150,000 - there is no need to break anything down.

Now, if a client is unsure if they want a seat wall, lighting, etc., then I'll list those as individual options.

Would I bay a car without costs broken down?? Of course,
Absolutely. If it has and if it is what I want, and the price is good - then of course. Life does not have to be difficult.

You price the job with your break downs, a ill price the same job with one lump price.....and I bet you I would get the job. Gotta know how to write a proposal.
Posted via Mobile Device
would love to see an example of a proposal if you are willing to share.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
would love to see an example of a proposal if you are willing to share.
I am very willing to share a proposal.

Now.....me remembering an finding time to find one to use as an example is a different story . One of these days I will post one here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
So if you are building say block wall and you use 50 less blocks do you credit back to customer or do you still make them pay for them since you didn't install them.
If you have 50 blocks left over you need to focus more on your estimating!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So many variables.

I could write a book about this.

I, a veteran contractor, with business instinct, would MUCH rather have left over material than be short on material. And ALL our contracts specify material allotments, so if we're short - we can charge for the additional needed.

It could be a retaining wall on a slope. A 100' long wall that's 12' tall on a steep slope and that wall may step up quicker than you realized. Thus requiring less material. It does happen.

But see, if it's a large job - I NEVER have all the estimated material delivered at once. If the supplier is close to the job - I will purposely hold 1 or 2 cubes of material back at the supply yard. If we need it I go get it, if we don't, then the supplier puts it back in inventory.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
If you have 50 blocks left over you need to focus more on your estimating!
Most of our jobs are srw walls, it's not at all a big deal to have 50 blocks left over. I typically always order an extra pallet, it's cheaper to have it delivered and on site than it is to come up short, stop what I'm doing and send a guy out for one pallet. I just finished an 1800 face foot wall and had about 60 blocks left over, not really a big deal especially when we get them drop shipped directly from the factory (the block never goes to the supplier) so it is cheaper to buy extra, if I have to go back to the supplier for materials to finish up it costs me time and the block price goes up about 1.50 per block.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

You can give a customer too much info all they need is scope of work and price. May sound crazy but some customers if they figure out what your making will either try to do on there own or beat your price down.
Posted via Mobile Device