Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2013 ferris 3100z 2nd belt this season

Just about 400hrs on my new machine and deck belt breaks at 165hrs. Took it back to dealer and they found everything to be OK. They said that the last 2 belts where the old style and ferris has since made a new and improved belt. What u ferris guys think? Have you heard of a new improved belt? I will have to see how many hrs I get on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

2013 ferris 3100z 2nd belt this season

I haven't heard of no improved belts. Mine broke 3 deck belts in 50 hours and the dealer said it was ant hills, wet grass, pine cones or sticks. I loosened the tension spring to about a credit card thickness and haven't had no problems in 150 hours.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris has changed their belts a few times in the last 2 years. The newest part # is: 5103870. This is the new 5V carlisle belt that has 5 kevlar cords in the belt. I have had good luck out of them. But Williams, are you pulling the PTO on @ wide open throttle? If not, I promise everyone on Lawnsite on all Ferris machines that 75% of all belt problems will disappear by pulling the PTO on @ wide open throttle
Old 10-16-2013, 05:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroddy View Post
Ferris has changed their belts a few times in the last 2 years. The newest part # is: 5103870. This is the new 5V carlisle belt that has 5 kevlar cords in the belt. I have had good luck out of them. But Williams, are you pulling the PTO on @ wide open throttle? If not, I promise everyone on Lawnsite on all Ferris machines that 75% of all belt problems will disappear by pulling the PTO on @ wide open throttle
Why would engaging the PTO at wot prevent belt problems?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I broke a belt last week, only 35hrs on the machine, but this was the result of sticks.

It appears that the roughly 45degree incline angle on front of deck is acting as a scoop for sticks, Im not sure what to do about it, I spend too much time picking up sticks as it is, it would be impossible for me not to run over some sticks. A square boxed front deck wont allow sticks to get into the spindle area so easily, more of a tendency to be pushed under the deck rather than on top.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought I was to engage PTO at mid throttle . Yes it does seem to make sticks interfer with the belt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

The guys @ Ferris every since I've sold Ferris has told me to engage the PTO at WOT. It creates belt slap at lower speeds which stretches the belt to a point of a break. I too was like "It doesn't make sense to pull the PTO @ WOT". But I kept calling Ferris with belt questions about breaking belts, and Andy with Tech. kept asking me if the customers was pulling the PTO @ WOT? So, I personally own a 3100Z and I had snapped a couple belts and since I been doing what Ferris suggested, I haven't broke a belt in 300hrs and the one on my Z looks immaculate. So I started telling my customers to do what Ferris suggested, my belt problem with my customers almost completely went away. I couldn't believe it!

Ferris invested in some high dollar high speed cameras to study the deck issues they were having. and found some issues to address and hence the reason for all the belt changes, some spring changes and Idler arm changes. But this past season, I had A LOT less trouble out of belt failures from Ferris mowers. It made me very very happy.

Oh, one more point to make. I know these belts are expensive, I stock prolly $20,000 in belts for all brands I sale, but If your going and buying a cheaper belt from Napa or your local bearing supply like a gates belt, your wasting your time and money, gates belts are made with Nylon cords that easily snap during normal use- use only Armrid Fiber / Kevlar belts designed for the machine so if you do have a failure of a belt within 90 days- you have a warranty and your dealer can get pull from Ferris on getting your issue resolved
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have over 1200 hours on mine and cant even remember how many belts I have gone through probably 8 or 9. I am not a huge advocate for ferris, mine has given me too many problems, but good luck with yours hopefully these new Carlisle belts last longer.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I will admit the the Earlier Ferris machines were not that great. They didn't get right till 2011 models in my opinion. They made a ton of good changes on the whole line. I had a 2500Z that I sold two years ago that was the biggest pile that come out of the fatory, customer was in my shop once a week with a different problem on his machine- but after a final straw, we got Ferris to replace his unit with a new 2500Z- not one single problem to date, and that was 8 months ago. He was so happy he bought another Ferris backup mower. So Ferris is definitely getting much much better than 3-4 years ago.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My mower is a 2011, IS3100ZP. With the new ICD deck. It cut great just had lots of problems, maybe I got a lemon who knows.