Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Do you aerate your lawn at least once per year?
Yes 30 78.95%
No 7 18.42%
Never heard of aeration! 1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That's cool...
but as I was telling noonturfcare, the star of the show is the machine and its effects on the soil..
I totally agree. With that said a single pass with ANY of the rolling time aerators on the market both WB and the stand on simply do not open up the soil enough IMO to be a good value as far as broadcast over seeding. 2 passes with a Plugr® 800 or a Ryan 28 reciprocating will do far more in accomplishing than a lesser machines could.

Now IF a manufacturer was to make a reciprocating aerator that could keep reciprocating and move at a snail pace or go back and forth while vertically tilling ....wouldn't that be ideal....?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Great Video! Anything to help educate the customer and get the sale.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I totally agree. With that said a single pass with ANY of the rolling time aerators on the market both WB and the stand on simply do not open up the soil enough IMO to be a good value as far as broadcast over seeding. 2 passes with a Plugr® 800 or a Ryan 28 reciprocating will do far more in accomplishing than a lesser machines could.

Now IF a manufacturer was to make a reciprocating aerator that could keep reciprocating and move at a snail pace or go back and forth while vertically tilling ....wouldn't that be ideal....?
Posted via Mobile Device
The only time I'd use an aerator for overseeding is if it was such a useless stand of grass that it needed to be dug up and virtually started over... otherwise punching all those holes in good grass is just a waste of time...

Compaction, Thatch, and getting nutrients/amendments into the rootzone... that is what aeration is for...
Old 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smallaxe are you in the sandy part over in central wi? I've read and learned a great deal from your posts but also keeping in mind we have very different soils. I can see how over in the sand aeration wouldn't be needed but I'm in the heavy clay over here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes we are in sand but most of my lawns are covered in a heavy topsoil and we aerate for that reason on occasion... I just don't aerate for the purpose of overseeding... I like to aerate for getting air, water and nutrient/amendments into the root zone,,, but not for seeding...
Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand the overseeding part and agree there are much more effective methods of creating good seed soil contact for overseeding.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
I understand the overseeding part and agree there are much more effective methods of creating good seed soil contact for overseeding.
Do you do a lot of core aerating for compaction then? to deal with the clay??

Do you mulch mow over there??? We have such a culture of bagging and raking in this part of Wisco that there is bare soil in the lawns all the time...
Old 10-15-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just started my business this year but I got a very good response on aeration. On my personal lawn I found that every year tends to be the best for compaction but every other year still provides satisfactory results. I have only ever seen 1 company in the area with a bagger on their mower and it was during spring clean up. Generally it's mulch or side discharge, pretty much after May grass is growing slow enough that any decent mower with side discharge will disperse clippings enough that you can't see them but I don't have any lawns with irrigation. Bigger problem around here is the scalping, we still have tons of bare spots and weed riddled lawns.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not much one can do about weedy barespots w/out irrigation and people mowing too short... good luck with your Fall jobs and hopefully get off to a better start next Spring...
Are you encouraging people that this is the biggest time of the year to fertilize???
Old 10-16-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes and no on the fertilization. I inform them that this is the most important time to do it but I'm not pushing to do a lot of fertilization myself because the next question is always weed control and I don't have my applicators permit yet

Tags
aerate , aerator , core aeration , lawn