Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Machine was really big in person. I really feel it will be too big for what I do. I will reserve final judgement till a demo is arranged.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You guys are spoiled.. Heated seats.. Geesh. What's next, air conditioning?
Seriously, I don't know if the heated seat would be a big deal for me where I live but you northern climate folks will probably make it a popular option. A/C in the seats, though, that would go a long way towards comfort down in Texas where your butt gets stuck to the vinyl from March through October.

I personally like the gadgets and updated look on some of the new machines. I also enjoyed running my late 1950's JD but for all-day comfort and quick access to vitals, a modern control panel with lockouts and information beyond temp, fuel and hours is desirable.

As I make the transition to more and more compact excavator work (hopefully), I am looking for more comfort. I'm VERY comfortable in my Bobcat M series cab but still get beat to hell on rough terrain and don't have near the room I would in a mini ex. If the cabs continue to evolve into Captain Kirk's chair with joysticks, I think I spend the majority of my time working the excavators.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
You guys are spoiled.. Heated seats.. Geesh. What's next, air conditioning?
Seriously, I don't know if the heated seat would be a big deal for me where I live but you northern climate folks will probably make it a popular option. A/C in the seats, though, that would go a long way towards comfort down in Texas where your butt gets stuck to the vinyl from March through October.

I personally like the gadgets and updated look on some of the new machines. I also enjoyed running my late 1950's JD but for all-day comfort and quick access to vitals, a modern control panel with lockouts and information beyond temp, fuel and hours is desirable.

As I make the transition to more and more compact excavator work (hopefully), I am looking for more comfort. I'm VERY comfortable in my Bobcat M series cab but still get beat to hell on rough terrain and don't have near the room I would in a mini ex. If the cabs continue to evolve into Captain Kirk's chair with joysticks, I think I spend the majority of my time working the excavators.
I hate running a skid steer. I would much rather run an Excavator.

Talked to my mulcher manufacturer and he said the Cat 308 is a beast with his 30 inch head. Rivals some 160 class machines.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Machine was really big in person. I really feel it will be too big for what I do. I will reserve final judgement till a demo is arranged.
Compared to other 55 size machines? I haven't seen the new 260 so can't comment on that but just like the specs.

How would a Kobelco/Case 55 compare? I thought they bumped the hyd. flow some and always thought they were the quickest mini's I've ran.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Compared to other 55 size machines? I haven't seen the new 260 so can't comment on that but just like the specs.

How would a Kobelco/Case 55 compare? I thought they bumped the hyd. flow some and always thought they were the quickest mini's I've ran.
They made the cab basically the same size as the tracks is the best way too describe it. The cab is really big in the operator area as well. It has full size travel pedals. I would like too put it side by side with my Kx161 so I can get a more accurate comparrison.

I have not looked into Kobelco machines and Case does not have a large presence here anymore.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
I hate running a skid steer. I would much rather run an Excavator.

Talked to my mulcher manufacturer and he said the Cat 308 is a beast with his 30 inch head. Rivals some 160 class machines.
I imagine running a mulching off an excavator platform would be ergonomically a lot more comfortable and less maintenance because the head (and dust) are that much further from the machine.

I saw a Bobcat 442 with a backpack power source for a mulching head on another forum. I'd like to see a compact excavator with 40 gpm for running a head. Even if it was only 30" head, that could do some damage.
I think we will see it in a few years. I don't see why a 12k lb machine couldn't have a 90 hp motor as its counterweight to support that type of performance.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Finally got some clarification on how the flow is rated on min ex's. In laymans terms the rated flow is all the actual hyd hp that will be available on the aux circuit.