Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I said it 100 times, "low ballers" have no effect on me. There is enough work to go around. I am not interested in the type of customer that shops for a lawn service based on price alone.
This.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I said this, but in a different way. So I'll second this, or fourth this or whatever. Lol

Originally Posted by Richard Martin:
I said it 100 times, "low ballers" have no effect on me. There is enough work to go around. I am not interested in the type of customer that shops for a lawn service based on price alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I don't understand how part-timers are bringing the business down. There are a lot of PTers around here (on lawnsite), most of whom seem to do reputable work, based on pictures I've seen. Although my LCO work averages a little over 40 hrs/wk I still have an office job so I guess you could call me a PTer. I'm finishing up my 16th year in the business. When I started there was only one large LCO in the area. Now there are more than a dozen. I'm sure there are plenty of part-timers around my town complaining how the big guys are bringing their business down.

I started out 16 years ago by helping an elderly neighbor, but then realized his cleaning service was getting paid, so I should be too. My phone started ringing off the hook. Over the years I've had to downsize twice because there weren't enough hours in the day. I have no remorse because the big guys don't have all the work they want. I do quality work and have never, not once, had a complaint. I keep a 300K GL policy and pay taxes on my earnings. I charge fair prices, mow only when it needs it, and my customers know me and trust me.

If I'm causing any harm to the large LCOs in town...well, I don't feel bad about it.
Well put Caddy,I'm a part timer who always puts my customer first and my hard work show's it. I have one account that I charge more for and do 110% better job than the previous bigger company did and the customer always raves how well her property looks. So here's to all those PT LCO's who aren't tarnishing the LCO business
Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
Haven't had much of an issue around here. All of the lcos while we are competitors are all friendly toward one another
Yep same here my man! We all swap work, beers, an woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
I slash all tires and fill gas tanks with sand of any lco who looks at me.....ah ha ha

Sure hope you do not come to this part of the counrty, My Man.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I enjoy the opportunity to have the occasional chat with a competitor. I live in a fairly small town, so the conversation usually centers around current events or local happenings or what our plans are for the off season.

I wave to all my competitors, even the couple that have stepped on my toes. I get waves back from all but one of them. He hates my guts. I mow six customers on the street he lives on and he doesn't have a single one. His yard looks like crap too. I think the guy is is own worst enemy. Oh well. I'll keep waving.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talking shop is exactly that, talking shop. There's nothing wrong with it especially if you aren't giving away your pricing. As long as you're not doing that there's nothing wrong with talking shop. I'd listen really close to what they're saying and what's coming out of my mouth and see how to improve so I can get more lawns. I wouldn't necessarily start the conversations but don't get stuffy about being an LCO. We've only lost one lot between the 2 locations in the past few years because the owner of the apartment complex I was doing had a leasee that lost his job. Other than that quality outweighs $ for customers.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws