Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Anything better?

I'm in the market for a ZT mower. Currently planning on a Bad Boy 54" Magnum MZ with Kawa motor for initial price of 3999. Is there a better deal for or close to the money that I should consider before pulling the trigger?

I've looked at Gravely, hustler and scag. But can't figure out what's better about them. In most cases, they seem like more money for similar size and grade.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would spend a little more money. I haven't heard many bragging about their Bad Boy.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anything better?

Higher end mowers are super fast. You can turn an 8 hr day into a 5 hr day with a fast mower
Old 10-16-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm running the big top end mowers and my choices are Hustler and Scag. Exmark would fall in line next and then maybe John Deere but this is big commercial. When comparing Bad Boy's commercial to these they're not even in the same league yet. Not sure about how the residential models compare though. Demo for sure. Look close at factory and dealer support. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad boy makes a solid mower. I ran one for six years as my primary mower, and it's my backup now. Most people are unfamiliar with the brand but more than happy to throw in their two cents. I would suggest looking at snapper pro as well if you have a local dealer
Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I;m looking at a Hustler Raptor HD in 42 inch . It has a 21 hp kawi motor,fabucated deck for around $3000.00. The 52 is a little more. The Snapper pros are a good value for a commercial mower.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I'm running the big top end mowers and my choices are Hustler and Scag. Exmark would fall in line next and then maybe John Deere but this is big commercial. When comparing Bad Boy's commercial to these they're not even in the same league yet. Not sure about how the residential models compare though. Demo for sure. Look close at factory and dealer support. Good luck.
What is it you do not like about BB ?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know that Wright, Toro, Exmark and Scag have all spent considerable time working on the way the decks on their equipment take in and expel the grass efficiently. That factor alone I'd choose one of the big 4 over Gravely, Bad Boy or Deere. Yes, the price is less, but if you spend time on going slower because the deck doesn't discharge the clippings efficiently enough or that you have to go back over parts of the lawn because you're leaving stragglers, your savings on the mower will quickly be eaten up and you'll end up losing profitability. I haven't experienced Bad Boys, but I have experienced Hustlers and their deck design is about as horrible as it gets. Just my opinion.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws

Last edited by BestImpressions99; 10-19-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spell check and it's really early for me this morning HAHA :)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm just gonna throw this out there. but if your in that $3999 range. If you have a Bobcat dealer around, go check out their CRZ 48'' model. I've sold over 30 this year and didn't have not on warranty claim. And they cut bahaia grass excellent and built like a tank. But it really boils down to your dealer support. Go with someone that'll take care of you. Being around Austin- you should have your pic
Old 10-20-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
I'm in the market for a ZT mower. Currently planning on a Bad Boy 54" Magnum MZ with Kawa motor for initial price of 3999. Is there a better deal for or close to the money that I should consider before pulling the trigger?

I've looked at Gravely, hustler and scag. But can't figure out what's better about them. In most cases, they seem like more money for similar size and grade.
You get what you pay for.
Scag, Gravely and JD have the best all around cut in the industry. These decks are copied more than any other and for good reason. These machines are also built better than they have to be with no expenses spared. With price point machines your not going to get the build and design quality.
Posted via Mobile Device