Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

We have three exmark 30's and we are pushing give or take 250 hours on each machine. We use them as our main mowers, we had tranny problems in the beginning and one cable break, but other then that no problems. We love them. We save alot in gas expenses. I like the ability to mulch, blow, or bag. We cut high wet grass with them and don't have any problems. We do have to scrape the deck when it's really wet and have to discharge in wet conditions then go back over it at a higher deck setting and mulch it in. I haven't found a mower on the market that mulches high wet grass well. At times here in Pa you need to discharge or bag. We've started to cut lawns with alot of leaves and the mowers are doing great mulching everything on two passes. I was really surprised how well they're doing. Two lawns had heavy leaves and we slowed down on the first pass and went a different direction on the second and it completly got rid of the leaves, no lines, no nothing. I'am really impressed so far. The mowers are easy to control and turn. Our wheels are fine, no problems. I was real worried about rutting with a heavy machine, I haven't seen any problems with rutting, even on real wet lawns. I like it that we don't have to worry about flat tires or greasing points. I still hate using them on really sloped hills and will still say they are not good on hills. Very easy to operate and use. We love our 30's and will be buying more in the future. This is honest information to those looking into buying the 30's.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
We have three exmark 30's and we are pushing give or take 250 hours on each machine. We use them as our main mowers, we had tranny problems in the beginning and one cable break, but other then that no problems. We love them. We save alot in gas expenses. I like the ability to mulch, blow, or bag. We cut high wet grass with them and don't have any problems. We do have to scrape the deck when it's really wet and have to discharge in wet conditions then go back over it at a higher deck setting and mulch it in. I haven't found a mower on the market that mulches high wet grass well. At times here in Pa you need to discharge or bag. We've started to cut lawns with alot of leaves and the mowers are doing great mulching everything on two passes. I was really surprised how well they're doing. Two lawns had heavy leaves and we slowed down on the first pass and went a different direction on the second and it completly got rid of the leaves, no lines, no nothing. I'am really impressed so far. The mowers are easy to control and turn. Our wheels are fine, no problems. I was real worried about rutting with a heavy machine, I haven't seen any problems with rutting, even on real wet lawns. I like it that we don't have to worry about flat tires or greasing points. I still hate using them on really sloped hills and will still say they are not good on hills. Very easy to operate and use. We love our 30's and will be buying more in the future. This is honest information to those looking into buying the 30's.
Are the new cables they are putting on these a different design
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I talked to exmark about the new cable design and they made an adjustment were the ball part of the cable is. It's a minor adjustment were the breaks in the cable were happening. The cable I broke was the old style, not the new design. I talked with some other landscapers who use the 30's who had broken cables and since they got the new cable design they haven't had any problems. The deck belts and self propel cables need to be adjusted at times. There really is not that much maintanence upkeep on them.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
. So are the ex marks wheels holding their tread better?
Posted via Mobile Device
my 21 exmark has the same type of wheels on it and after it's third season it still shows no wear on them. The first year I had my 21 I ran the dickens out of it. So far my 30 wheels show no wear at all. They really do float over soft, muddy ground. My one commercial property has one swale that always has standing water and I have no sinking of the mower around the water edge.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 10-16-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

so many posts for the 30 now that I didn't know where to post this so I picked this one. Yesterday the grassbag frame on my ex30 broke- I called my dealer and they ordered a new frame under warrenty, when I got home it took me about 15 minutes to weld it up better than original. To me it rates as one of those sh## happens things -so no big deal. For you lawnsaspire- I have decided that my opinion on leaves is to have no opinion Almost at the end of the season and now most of my lawns are at 2" and you just can't hide squat when it's that short so I still bag alot. Pine needles are my current enemy as it does a great job of picking them up but because of the mulch blade it leaves just enough that you have to double mow the spots that had heavy coverage

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegandude View Post
so many posts for the 30 now that I didn't know where to post this so I picked this one. Yesterday the grassbag frame on my ex30 broke- I called my dealer and they ordered a new frame under warrenty, when I got home it took me about 15 minutes to weld it up better than original. To me it rates as one of those sh## happens things -so no big deal. For you lawnsaspire- I have decided that my opinion on leaves is to have no opinion Almost at the end of the season and now most of my lawns are at 2" and you just can't hide squat when it's that short so I still bag alot. Pine needles are my current enemy as it does a great job of picking them up but because of the mulch blade it leaves just enough that you have to double mow the spots that had heavy coverage
Thanks vegandude. I've been using the t30 on leaves and it does good mulching. They aren't that thick yet though. Trees seem to be really slow turning this yr. I won't be buying another t30. I will buy the ex30. Either this yr or next. That's the question. For what I do I don't really need a powerful engine on this mower since I mulch leaves weekly on most lawns. The only other thing I need power for is ridiculous spring fert infested lawns. But others have recommended how to mow these with the 30 such As ssantor above. My biggest question is what else would they change other than the engine & tranny?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

one week to go and I am about to lose another transmission this is really becoming a pita as I can not afford the downtime.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow is all I can say. Assuming you've had the bum tranny replaced with the updated tranny...well, this is not good for you. Anyone else had issues with their replacement tranny?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 10-24-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Promo, this was the replacement tranny?! was it a new one from the old batch/series or the upgraded new second generation tranny's?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

An update to those waiting to hear on updates on these mowers from gie expo. In another thread , trustworthy N
and revered lco Jim Lewis himself asked toro/exmark booth about changes to these mowers and the only change was the tranny on the ex30 being fixed. So it looks like we will be offered the same type of mower next yr unless something is announced this winter. After reading this thread frontwards and backwards I have come to the conclusion that the Ex 30 is the best of the 3 mowers if the tranny is working. This sucks because they are all out at our local dealer, however they do have a turfmaster at the toro dealer five mins from my house. But it sounded to me like this was a more cumbersome machine to handle. I guess the ex30 is even all out at the factory.
Posted via Mobile Device