Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
What is your minimum charge for cutting lawns? Any guys out there who cut 5,000 sq ft lawns or less for $35? I understand it all depends on your overhead and such, just trying to get an idea of what the competition out there is like. Thanks
At that price? All the time. Why? Most yards around here are less than 3500k of turf. Two man crew less than 15 mins. Commercial guys are eating each other for 10 dollars an acre! That I don't get!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

$45 min no matter the size. I only have two at that price.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
At that price? All the time. Why? Most yards around here are less than 3500k of turf. Two man crew less than 15 mins. Commercial guys are eating each other for 10 dollars an acre! That I don't get!
Sorry I didnt understand your comment. Are you saying 35 is too cheap for a 5k turf or too expensive?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

$30 to $35 1/4 acre or less plus sales tax.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
Sorry I didnt understand your comment. Are you saying 35 is too cheap for a 5k turf or too expensive?
Posted via Mobile Device
Just right. We do them day in and out for that price, but many here will tell you that's toos cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Just right. We do them day in and out for that price, but many here will tell you that's toos cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Size is only one factor that goes into bidding, degree of difficulty, household income, etc etc! I had a guy that called for a bid this past season that had about 7K sq ft, but he had a brand new Mercedes and brand new BMW sitting in front of a half million dollar house, you think I'm going to bid $35 for him? No! I didn't get the job but I don't care, I'm not going to be some rich guys "Lawn Boy" And so far it's been my experience that those are the guys that generally are PIA customers anyway, so why not get paid for having to deal with them.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Size is only one factor that goes into bidding, degree of difficulty, household income, etc etc! I had a guy that called for a bid this past season that had about 7K sq ft, but he had a brand new Mercedes and brand new BMW sitting in front of a half million dollar house, you think I'm going to bid $35 for him? No! I didn't get the job but I don't care, I'm not going to be some rich guys "Lawn Boy" And so far it's been my experience that those are the guys that generally are PIA customers anyway, so why not get paid for having to deal with them.
These are the exception around here. I'm talking about the day in and out ,bread and butter type. I have the high end types but they only make up 10% of my total number of accounts. 35 is a 15 minute two man job and I have a few hundred of those. Plus being in FL I get to mow them all year long.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I generally mow for no less than $30.00 a cut for a standard residential yard. Thats mow, edge, trim, blow everything off. I wont touch a yard for less than $20.00. I have a few accounts where I mow for $20 a cut but these are yards so small it takes me more time to turn the truck around and get my mower off than actually mow. I'm there for less than 20 minutes, these yards are also right around the corner from a few higher end clients I mow so, I'm not really out much in time/labor.

When I'm estimating a yard I look at the size, how close it is to other clients, amount of trim work, edge work, landscaping that needs caring for... I give my clients what they pay for. If all they want me to do is mow, edge, trim, and cleanup with maybe a few hedges to trim, I'm going to charge a lot less than a house on a 1/2 acre lot with several flower beds full of landscaping thats needs to be trimmed and weeded.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

LOL..

i see everyone fixating on sqft.....WRONG.......

first thing to do is find out what your actual cost per hour are.

after deriving that cost, everything else is easy. You can take a week or two and stopwatch all your yards. divide the time and sq ft and you will get min/sqft. now you have what you need calculate your pricing..

that being said... We have a minimum $40.00 charge.
one thing you should be taking into consideration is what it cost you to bill a client.
Every invoice we send costs us about $5.00.

If you have not figured this into your costs, it can add up...

mow a yard twice in a month for $35.00... you have a $70.00 billing. If you are operating on a 15% net profit, your profit will be $10.50. if you have not included the billing cost, that will eat up HALF of your profit......OUCH..

SOLO operators.. don't start with the " i make 70%...".... You look at profit AFTER you pay all expenses AND pay yourself a salary... it is what the BUSINESS makes, not you....
bobcat T200
way too much other crap