Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Little help? Whether to buy w/recent fixed governor

Spent way to many hours reading on this great forum.... I love it, thanks for sharing all your knowledge...

I have an opportuniy to buy a DC xcaliber 3366 w/Generac engine from a good friend. He is the type who takes immaculant care of everything he owns and he is a very honest man. He uses the mower to mow his 6 acre yard. The Dixie has 250 hours on it. I over heard him telling one of our mutual good friends he was going to trade it in on a diesel Kubota. I asked him about it and he said he would sell it to me for what he was offered on trade. Being the kind of guy he is, he took it to the local dealership to have serviced and checked out before selling it to me. While at the dealership, the service person somehow noticed that the GOVERNOR was bad. Not being a mechanic, I went to researching and have learned that replacing/fixing the governor involves splitting the motor open. The man that is selling it to me told me he was going to get it fixed regardless of whether I buy it or not. He also said if I no longer wanted it, he did not mind and understood and he would just trade it in, no big deal. I really like the mower and I like the price too. My question- Would you guys be apprehensive about buy the mower, knowing about the governor being replaced. I am wondering if its going to be a reoccuring issue and what kind of potential problems splitting the motor apart could cause in the future.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives their point of view.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesprings View Post
Spent way to many hours reading on this great forum.... I love it, thanks for sharing all your knowledge...

I have an opportuniy to buy a DC xcaliber 3366 w/Generac engine from a good friend. He is the type who takes immaculant care of everything he owns and he is a very honest man. He uses the mower to mow his 6 acre yard. The Dixie has 250 hours on it. I over heard him telling one of our mutual good friends he was going to trade it in on a diesel Kubota. I asked him about it and he said he would sell it to me for what he was offered on trade. Being the kind of guy he is, he took it to the local dealership to have serviced and checked out before selling it to me. While at the dealership, the service person somehow noticed that the GOVERNOR was bad. Not being a mechanic, I went to researching and have learned that replacing/fixing the governor involves splitting the motor open. The man that is selling it to me told me he was going to get it fixed regardless of whether I buy it or not. He also said if I no longer wanted it, he did not mind and understood and he would just trade it in, no big deal. I really like the mower and I like the price too. My question- Would you guys be apprehensive about buy the mower, knowing about the governor being replaced. I am wondering if its going to be a reoccuring issue and what kind of potential problems splitting the motor apart could cause in the future.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives their point of view.
Buy it after the fix.

The repair really isn't that big of a deal, it's just taking the bottom pan off to get to the Governor spool. Not a huge deal ultimately, and doesn't necessarily mean the motor is bad.

Dixies occasionally (1 in 100 conservatively) have this problem and the new spool is a better update (usually) to the one that is being replaced.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise. Your reply make me feel better about the potential purchase.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesprings View Post
Thanks for the advise. Your reply make me feel better about the potential purchase.
When I had a short stint as a Dixie Mechanic, I ran into one motor with the Governor problem.

The way the spool clips or locks onto the shaft was the issue. The plastic in the spool failed and it moved on the shaft.

The replacement spool was made from a different plastic compound to help alleviate the problem.

From my limited experiences working on Dixies and generacs, the motors are tough and can withstand a lot of abuse and still give you true horsepower and torque. I seen a few motors with over 2000 hours that the piston, rods, cranks, and journals all looked like they day they came off the factory floor.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The sad part is that as soon as this governor issue is fixed, then the power will be back in the motor and he should probably keep it instead of the Kubota.

Oh well, his loss, your gain.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again! He doesn't really have a rational reason for selling. He is just ready for a new toy, I think. His new one will have a diesel in it.
Posted via Mobile Device