Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

North East Applications

So I'm new to fertilizer applications, I'm currently studying the material for the PROFACT Exam in NJ, and researching on here and elsewhere on the internet for tips on getting the absolute best results. I'm looking to hear back from Northeast Applicators, a lot of my lawns that I mow are currently fertilized by TruGreen. I saw them at one of my accounts, spraying their fall applications. Now, these lawns are fried. I had no intention of ever using spray fertilizer in the fall, I was considering a spray weed and feed for the spring (a suggestion made by numerous guys on here), and slow release granular the rest of the year.

Why are these applications frying the grass? If they turn EVERY LAWN brown why are these idiots spraying it? Again, I'm just getting my feet wet in this field, but I don't want to ever end up doing something like this, so learning now is better than hard lessons down the road.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cool season grasses utilize the majority of N fertilizer in the Fall, building up energy reserves for the Winter... coordinate your efforts for the life-cycle of the grass...
The life-cycle of the grass tells us one thing and the salesmen of fert&squirt tell us quite another...

It is easy to answer 'Why' does Tru-Green spray lawns this late in the season,,, it is to make money...
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Cool season grasses utilize the majority of N fertilizer in the Fall, building up energy reserves for the Winter... coordinate your efforts for the life-cycle of the grass...
The life-cycle of the grass tells us one thing and the salesmen of fert&squirt tell us quite another...

It is easy to answer 'Why' does Tru-Green spray lawns this late in the season,,, it is to make money...
So basically they're using high rates of nitrogen in a quick release form too late in the season? From what i understand, a slow release a few weeks earlier would be a way better choice. Thanks for responding. Still have a long way to go, but learning as much as I possibly can is my focus for the off season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you implement what you learn from PROFACT, you will do fine.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
If you implement what you learn from PROFACT, you will do fine.
Thanks, since you're from NJ, do I need a commercial applicator license if I'm doing fert only, currently not planning on doing pesticides until I complete certification in that down the line. I can't find a straight answer from any government website.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
Thanks, since you're from NJ, do I need a commercial applicator license if I'm doing fert only, currently not planning on doing pesticides until I complete certification in that down the line. I can't find a straight answer from any government website.
Posted via Mobile Device
In order to professionally apply fertilizer in NJ you must become a Certified Fertilizer Applicator by passing the PROFACT course and paying the licence fee.You do not need a pesticide licence to apply straight fertilizer.

However, if you want to apply fertilizers which contain pesticides then you must become a NJ Commercial Pesticide Applicator or a NJ Commercial Pesticide Operator working for a company with a Pesticide Applicator Business License.
http://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo-appcom.htm

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
In order to professionally apply fertilizer in NJ you must become a Certified Fertilizer Applicator by passing the PROFACT course and paying the licence fee.You do not need a pesticide licence to apply straight fertilizer.

However, if you want to apply fertilizers which contain pesticides then you must become a NJ Commercial Pesticide Applicator or a NJ Commercial Pesticide Operator working for a company with a Pesticide Applicator Business License.
http://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo-appcom.htm
Thanks a lot!
Posted via Mobile Device