Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

New Guy Needs Advice On New Lawn Tractor

Hello Everyone --- I am new to the LawnSite forum and hoping to get some advice on a new lawn tractor. We recently finished construction of a new home situated on a 3 acre lot. Most of the property is fairly clear of trees and is relatively flat. However, there are a few gentle slopes and a small area that borders a creek. I'd like to keep my mowing time to a minimum and have budgeted about $6000 for a new machine. I've read some reviews, but am still uncertain whether I should buy a zero-turn model or a conventional lawn tractor. I'm also uncertain about the proper size, but am thinking that either a 54" or 60" machine would do the trick. There are several dealers within about 10 miles that sell all of the top brands including Bob Cat, CC, Dixie Chopper, Exmark, Ferris, Gravely, Hustler, JD, Kubota, Snapper Pro and Toro. With so many brands and models to choose from, I really have no idea where to start. Because of the size of our property, I'm thinking I should get something close to commercial grade rather than anything that you would find at places like Lowe's or Home Depot. Finally, whatever I end up buying hopefully will last for a long time and offer a solid warranty. Sooooo ...... any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all .......... Pete
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the forum!
If you plan to use the machine for anything other than mowing, get a garden tractor (not a lawn tractor). If all you want to do is mow, take a look at entry level ZTR's and high end garden tractors with large decks.

I've mowed with both for years and both have their place. If you want a Z, look hard at Gravely. Not only do they have great machines, their customer support/service is top notch. No, I am not promoting them because I run them. I don't have one (yet). I run Deere.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the site its full of good, knowledgeable people. I do not have any experience with gravely so cannot comment on them. I am responding only because, I also had a 3 acre property in florida and after using a husky lawn tractor with I believe it was a 46" deck I looked like a red tomato, and I am 25% Spaniard. I then went out to all the commercial lawn companies in my area and settled on a 2005 hustler z. That machine is what I started this business with 3.5 years ago, and its still running in my business today. Due to how durable the hustler is in comparison to the other brand I bought for this business I am now buying 2 more Hustler's. That said good luck happy hunting just test drive them all the commercial ones will last way longer. My hustler after 4.5 years of cutting 3 acres had under 50 hours on it when I brought it down here, now over 2000 hrs on it.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, 200 views and only 2 replies... Might be that it should be in the general forum. For homeowner you should think about Kubota. A ZTR is just overkill. We mow 5 acres in a little over an hour and a half with a 48" stand on. So 2 1/2 for a Kubota tractor wouldn't be that bad and their cut quality is commercial grade. Honestly ask yourself why you want a ZTR, time savings or the smile factor that you have a ZTR. If you have $6k to spend... you won't go wrong either way. If you decide on a ZTR stick with the Toro or Exmark for your area. Honestly, look at a Kubota. It's a status symbol as well as a quality product.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 10-19-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

If your just looking to mow, I would just look at ZTR, it is way faster and better looking cut. If you buy the right mower for your application you only have to buy it once.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 10-19-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by show-n-go View Post
If your just looking to mow, I would just look at ZTR, it is way faster and better looking cut. If you buy the right mower for your application you only have to buy it once.
So not true. A quality deck on a good GT will cut as good as any ZTR made, and leave as nice a looking lawn to boot.