Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok. I have got it out in the open that I am getting my mowing business up and running. As a former mid size company owner, I do understand the employers side of things. But I never held any of my guys back from bettering themselves. As I spoke with my boss he asked why I felt the need to work on the side. My response was simple (remember this guy is also on a friend basis as well): I asked him if hischildren got cars when the turned 16 yrs old, and did they get to college with his help? his answer was yes. My response was; "my two daughters didn't get a car and they obtained college on their own dime well one of them did any way. My 12 yr old son I want to try and do better for him, Im tired of telling him no! He took it well and he knows my work ethic, he knows I love designing and building cabinetry so all is good.
Husqvarna 14" chain saw
Husqvarna 16" chain saw
Husqvarna back pack blower
Polan 14" chain saw
2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd
Single axel trailer with mesh side walls and lift gate
2 back up riding tractors

QuickBooks Pro business software
Old 09-27-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When people aren't scumbags things can work out. Happy to hear it!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad to hear things went well. Good for you. Screw the nay sayers, get out there and start building a business in a way that fits YOU and YOUR life. Not how someone else thinks it should be done.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like you have a good boss.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
100% of your time when working for someone else???? F that. My obligation begins and ends with the time clock. I wouldn't expect any of the employees I have had in the past, or the ones I hope to have in the future, to do any different. When I punch out at my real job, that's the last I think about it till the next day.

really?
you own a business and have this attitude?
you actually have employees with this attitude?
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 10-19-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro View Post
really?
you own a business and have this attitude?
you actually have employees with this attitude?
Currently I'm solo, but in the past I had many employees under me. When an employee is at home with family at their dinner table I do not expect them to be thinking about work. However, when they are at work, on my time, they had better have their head in the game. Whether its an 8 hr day or a 14 hr day.

In the future I plan on having employees. But paying a guy $10/hr I only expect to get work out of him for the time he is getting paid. Its foolish and unrealistic to expect a $10/hr employee to be thinking about how to improve the route, or business model, or try to upsell current customers, or worry about the parts that are on back order, or the bid that has to be turned in by friday. However, if a guy has the "act as if" attitude and is acting like a crew leader/foreman for $10/hr then he will be on the radar and first for a raise/promotion. But I'm not asking nor expecting this from a normal employee.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I was in the same position a few years ago. I was a service manager for a car dealership and the owner came to me because someone told him I had a side business. He told me I needed to pick one or the other. So I did. Went home that night and came back the next day and turned in my keys. And now business is going great and it's been 3 years.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
I don't believe it's any of your employer's business what you do on your own time but unfortunately many employer's don't think that way. Like drugs and alcohol, working a second job means to them that you can't give them 100%. Some employers will even make you sign an agreement not to have any other job. It may also concern them that at some point you may quit to pursue your own business. If you receive benefits through your employer, often risky (as compared to the work you do for your employer) after work activities will raise eyebrows with the insurance carrier and could be a reason for them to increase what your employer pays. I could see that possibly happening with doing something like tree work.

So I believe the best policy is to keep your mouth shut about what you do with your own time.
Well said.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

that's not really how it works yknow. A business pays for your time, int he fashion of an hourly wage or a salary, they DO NOT own your off time. With that you can relax, vacation, OR work another job. What difference does this make if you start a side business or work a second job?

As long as it is not in a competing position to your main employment, it should be all good (example a mechanic should not be running his own shop on the side, however there is nothing wrong with being a mechanic for two different businesses... if one of the businesses doesn't like it, they can simply keep you busier/pay you more)....

MANY people have TWO part time jobs, or a full time AND a part time job... how is it different from working as a car dealer service manager and mowing lawns on the side?