Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpmaster View Post
What happened to the FS 90, how old was it. If you do not mind me askin?
4 years old.

It started bogging down on me mid-job.
Blah-blah-blah-WEEEEEEE... blah-blah... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... blah, blahhhhh... sputter. Die.

It started back up two or three times with some effort, but then would not start again.

For what it's worth, about 2 years ago it started bogging down and I had it "tuned up".

I'm headed out today to look for something cheap to use until it can be fixed.
Maybe Home Depot will have a refurbished Echo.

I stopped at PH Rental and they don't have any used units ready for sale.
I looked at new stuff and the Stihl FS 56RC (27.2 cc) may be an option at $219.
It's a homeowner trimmer, (replaced the FS 55 R) but I'd rather buyy a Stihl than something from sears - maybe. Depends on what I run across. Maybe I'll find something on clearance somewhere that will get me by.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ugh. Not running across any clearanced trimmers that I'd want.
Home Depot had about 5 refurbished Echo 225s a week ago, but they are gone now. Only Ryobi's left.

Trimmers I currently own:
- Stihl FS90R (that just stopped running)

- Cheapo Yardman 4 cycle split shaft. It's my backup - which is also not running.
I also have all the attachments for it and while many will scoff at the use of homeowner garbage, I've used them to make money and they have paid for themselves many times over. (I bought all of them including the trimmer on clearance dirt cheap)

I had hoped I would run across another deal on a homeowner split shaft that would allow me to have a trimmer until the Stihl is repaired and would allow me to continue to use all of my attachments. (the hedge trimmer and pole pruner see the most use and come in handy)

Since I didn't see any cheap stuff that appealed to me, I started thinking I may just get the Stihl FS 56RC for $219 and be done with it.
While it's not a true commercial trimmer, it's got to be leaps and bounds better than the crap from Home Depot.
That would give me a decent backup trimmer, but I'd still need to get the Yardman running before I could use any attachments.

Then I stopped in Lowes to see what they had and saw the Husqvarna trimmers. The 128LD is a 28cc unit for $219 that HAS a split shaft and accepts all that homeowner crap that I have!

Hmmmm...

I know nothing about the brand and don't know if it would be comparable in quality to the Stihl Homescaper series FS 56RC, but it MAY solve a few problems all at the same time.

I asked if it could be returned if I fired it up and just didn't care for the way it ran. "You can return it within 30 days".

I'm off to do some research and read reviews.
I also need to go out tomorrow and will check out a few more stores to see what I can turn up.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody else feeling squeezed?

Yards that are treated are growing like gangbusters yet. Most of my properties were treated 2-4 weeks ago, and with all the moisture, they are growing well. Meanwhile, the leaves are piling up, and fast. Many properties, I am having to spend 50-100% more time, some even longer, to get them cleaned up. The Wednesday rainout, and half-day rainout on Thursday really hurt. Despite all the forecasts, and even the green blobs on the radar, I did pretty well today. I encountered some light sprinkles a couple of times, but was able to work through until late this afternoon.

I think most of the regular schedules have now been replaced by "when can I get there next?"

Perhaps it is time to put away the work shorts for the season. The damp and cold today brought out some clothes that have not been worn since early Spring.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know a few of us will vouch for the Husky saws so I'd like to think that Husky power equipment is pretty good. I say give it a whirl if you can return it, nothing to lose!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Anybody else feeling squeezed?

Yards that are treated are growing like gangbusters yet. Most of my properties were treated 2-4 weeks ago, and with all the moisture, they are growing well. Meanwhile, the leaves are piling up, and fast. Many properties, I am having to spend 50-100% more time, some even longer, to get them cleaned up. The Wednesday rainout, and half-day rainout on Thursday really hurt. Despite all the forecasts, and even the green blobs on the radar, I did pretty well today. I encountered some light sprinkles a couple of times, but was able to work through until late this afternoon.

I think most of the regular schedules have now been replaced by "when can I get there next?"

Perhaps it is time to put away the work shorts for the season. The damp and cold today brought out some clothes that have not been worn since early Spring.
You're absolutely right Roger, growing like crazy and leaves are falling by the heaps, make the money while we can and hope that the weather cooperates!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

While IMO, Husqvarna makes excellent commercial handheld equipment, pretty sure the 128ld is powered by their Poulan homeowner line that Husqvarna bought. I'm sure 28cc's is plenty powerful but still homeowner grade.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Ugh. Not running across any clearanced trimmers that I'd want.
Home Depot had about 5 refurbished Echo 225s a week ago, but they are gone now. Only Ryobi's left.

Trimmers I currently own:
- Stihl FS90R (that just stopped running)

- Cheapo Yardman 4 cycle split shaft. It's my backup - which is also not running.
I also have all the attachments for it and while many will scoff at the use of homeowner garbage, I've used them to make money and they have paid for themselves many times over. (I bought all of them including the trimmer on clearance dirt cheap)

I had hoped I would run across another deal on a homeowner split shaft that would allow me to have a trimmer until the Stihl is repaired and would allow me to continue to use all of my attachments. (the hedge trimmer and pole pruner see the most use and come in handy)

Since I didn't see any cheap stuff that appealed to me, I started thinking I may just get the Stihl FS 56RC for $219 and be done with it.
While it's not a true commercial trimmer, it's got to be leaps and bounds better than the crap from Home Depot.
That would give me a decent backup trimmer, but I'd still need to get the Yardman running before I could use any attachments.

Then I stopped in Lowes to see what they had and saw the Husqvarna trimmers. The 128LD is a 28cc unit for $219 that HAS a split shaft and accepts all that homeowner crap that I have!

Hmmmm...

I know nothing about the brand and don't know if it would be comparable in quality to the Stihl Homescaper series FS 56RC, but it MAY solve a few problems all at the same time.

I asked if it could be returned if I fired it up and just didn't care for the way it ran. "You can return it within 30 days".

I'm off to do some research and read reviews.
I also need to go out tomorrow and will check out a few more stores to see what I can turn up.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do love my saw but I love my Stihl trimmers. I have 2 110 kombis and a 90 kombi and I'm going to add 3 more 110s next year. I would rather spend the extra money in order to have the best considering it makes me money
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

I do love my saw but I love my Stihl trimmers. I have 2 110 kombis and a 90 kombi and I'm going to add 3 more 110s next year. I would rather spend the extra money in order to have the best considering it makes me money
I year ya, but $330 for another FS90R just to get me through a week is...

Then again, the old one could become my backup to the new one and I've always wanted a duplicate so that using it would mean the same "feel" if I needed to switch.

I'm just not looking forward to spending money at a time when the money is drying up for the season.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I year ya, but $330 for another FS90R just to get me through a week is...

Then again, the old one could become my backup to the new one and I've always wanted a duplicate so that using it would mean the same "feel" if I needed to switch.

I'm just not looking forward to spending money at a time when the money is drying up for the season.
If you got 4 years out of a trimmed that's not too bad. If you do get a new one then your old one can be the backup and you have a second backup too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A backup for a backup is always a good idea. LOL

I think I may now just pick up a new FS90R Monday morning.

I forgot about a decent sized trimming job (tall stuff) I need to get done and while the cheapo attachments would work, it will go faster and easier using the Stihl trimmer attachment I have for the FS90R.

I generally use the cheapo unit and attachments for "dirty work" that I'd rather not use the expensive trimmer/etc on for fear of damaging it. (Like trimming ivy along the ground, near rocks/chain link fences/etc.)
I don't mind damaging a $30 trimmer attachment the way I would a $270 attachment.

I was hesitant to buy another Stihl after having it choke on me twice now, but I don't know where else to turn. Echos just seem cheaply constructed when I look at them and while the Stihl has given me those two problems, that's the ONLY problem I've had with it. (Oh, that and it is hard to start when it gets wet)

Not to mention that after 4 years of using the same trimmer, I'd have to get used to the feel of a different unit. I've never been big on "change", so maybe I'll just stick to what I know.

Tags
n'at!