Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Leaf spot/melting out is a disease of Kentucky bluegrass, (particularly the older cheaper varieties).
http://blogs.cornell.edu/horticultur...iseases-of-ny/

Do you see any seed heads? This would be an indication of poa annua--which is light green.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rye vs green

About the poor color of perennial rye grass. This photo is of my neighbor's new lawn; it was seeded with a Pennington (high in perennial rye) mixture from Home Depot in summer 2012 and had additional seed in fall 2012. Hose irrigation. Soil was poor and sandy. Compare background across the street. On the right is the north side of the house--which did better--due to protection from the hot sun. This was fertilized in April 2013, and again in early October (Lesco 26-0-8). 2013 was mostly cool and rainy.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Helmenthosporium leaf spot is more of a damp cold Spring disease. And, if the pathogen is there it likely would affect your KBG as well. Providing a couple photos would be helpful. My first guess is that it is a grassy weed that has gone dormant. If it is one of the perennial ryes, I am stumped. Was the lawn planted this year and if so was there any annual ryegrass in the mix?

Last edited by foreplease; 10-21-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Probably just drying out a bit...
Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

No visible seed-heads. And unfortunately the Kentucky in my lawn is stricken with the same disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Leaf spot/melting out is a disease of Kentucky bluegrass, (particularly the older cheaper varieties).
http://blogs.cornell.edu/horticultur...iseases-of-ny/

Do you see any seed heads? This would be an indication of poa annua--which is light green.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

And the lesson learned is...? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
About the poor color of perennial rye grass. This photo is of my neighbor's new lawn; it was seeded with a Pennington (high in perennial rye) mixture from Home Depot in summer 2012 and had additional seed in fall 2012. Hose irrigation. Soil was poor and sandy. Compare background across the street. On the right is the north side of the house--which did better--due to protection from the hot sun. This was fertilized in April 2013, and again in early October (Lesco 26-0-8). 2013 was mostly cool and rainy.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ironite gives great bang for the buck when it comes to greening up an otherwise healthy lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Add some fescue seed to it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

It was originally sod and over the years the rye has overtaken the kentucky. Here's what the lawn looks like... In the bright sunlight it appears okay. The light-colored rye shows best on a cloudy day.

My current plan: Apply Spectator every 10 days for the next 30 days. Then in the spring... Reseed with just Kentucky. And as you all may know... There are MANY varieties... So I have all winter to choose the best mix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Helmenthosporium leaf spot is more of a damp cold Spring disease. And, if the pathogen is there it likely would affect your KBG as well. Providing a couple photos would be helpful. My first guess is that it is a grassy weed that has gone dormant. If it is one of the perennial ryes, I am stumped. Was the lawn planted this year and if so was there any annual ryegrass in the mix?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are planning to reseed it all to KBG you could skip doing anything else this Fall. Next Spring using Tenacity at the high end of label rate, which I believe is 8oz/acre, may substantially weaken or take out your existing PRG entirely. Might be worth reading up on for you.

It's a nice lawn and well kept home. Seems unusual for PRG to take over KBG because KBG is more aggressive. You may need more pounds of nitrogen per year to keep your KBG happy. It is a heavy feeder.