Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,166
Leaf spot/melting out is a disease of Kentucky bluegrass, (particularly the older cheaper varieties).
http://blogs.cornell.edu/horticultur...iseases-of-ny/

Do you see any seed heads? This would be an indication of poa annua--which is light green.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,166
Rye vs green

About the poor color of perennial rye grass. This photo is of my neighbor's new lawn; it was seeded with a Pennington (high in perennial rye) mixture from Home Depot in summer 2012 and had additional seed in fall 2012. Hose irrigation. Soil was poor and sandy. Compare background across the street. On the right is the north side of the house--which did better--due to protection from the hot sun. This was fertilized in April 2013, and again in early October (Lesco 26-0-8). 2013 was mostly cool and rainy.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 PM
foreplease's Avatar
foreplease foreplease is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Joseph, MI
Posts: 1,161
Helmenthosporium leaf spot is more of a damp cold Spring disease. And, if the pathogen is there it likely would affect your KBG as well. Providing a couple photos would be helpful. My first guess is that it is a grassy weed that has gone dormant. If it is one of the perennial ryes, I am stumped. Was the lawn planted this year and if so was there any annual ryegrass in the mix?
__________________
Michigan PABL

Last edited by foreplease; 10-21-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,814
Probably just drying out a bit...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Crist Clapper Crist Clapper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Martinsburg, PA
Posts: 55
No visible seed-heads. And unfortunately the Kentucky in my lawn is stricken with the same disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Leaf spot/melting out is a disease of Kentucky bluegrass, (particularly the older cheaper varieties).
http://blogs.cornell.edu/horticultur...iseases-of-ny/

Do you see any seed heads? This would be an indication of poa annua--which is light green.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Crist Clapper Crist Clapper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Martinsburg, PA
Posts: 55
And the lesson learned is...? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
About the poor color of perennial rye grass. This photo is of my neighbor's new lawn; it was seeded with a Pennington (high in perennial rye) mixture from Home Depot in summer 2012 and had additional seed in fall 2012. Hose irrigation. Soil was poor and sandy. Compare background across the street. On the right is the north side of the house--which did better--due to protection from the hot sun. This was fertilized in April 2013, and again in early October (Lesco 26-0-8). 2013 was mostly cool and rainy.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,229
Ironite gives great bang for the buck when it comes to greening up an otherwise healthy lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM
exmarkking's Avatar
exmarkking exmarkking is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 981
Add some fescue seed to it
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Crist Clapper Crist Clapper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Martinsburg, PA
Posts: 55
It was originally sod and over the years the rye has overtaken the kentucky. Here's what the lawn looks like... In the bright sunlight it appears okay. The light-colored rye shows best on a cloudy day.

My current plan: Apply Spectator every 10 days for the next 30 days. Then in the spring... Reseed with just Kentucky. And as you all may know... There are MANY varieties... So I have all winter to choose the best mix!




Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Helmenthosporium leaf spot is more of a damp cold Spring disease. And, if the pathogen is there it likely would affect your KBG as well. Providing a couple photos would be helpful. My first guess is that it is a grassy weed that has gone dormant. If it is one of the perennial ryes, I am stumped. Was the lawn planted this year and if so was there any annual ryegrass in the mix?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 PM
foreplease's Avatar
foreplease foreplease is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Joseph, MI
Posts: 1,161
If you are planning to reseed it all to KBG you could skip doing anything else this Fall. Next Spring using Tenacity at the high end of label rate, which I believe is 8oz/acre, may substantially weaken or take out your existing PRG entirely. Might be worth reading up on for you.

It's a nice lawn and well kept home. Seems unusual for PRG to take over KBG because KBG is more aggressive. You may need more pounds of nitrogen per year to keep your KBG happy. It is a heavy feeder.
__________________
Michigan PABL
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.08051 seconds with 10 queries