Register free!

Old 10-20-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Best Puller

We have used case maxi's for years, but have tried Vermeer and Ditch Witch as well. Ditch witch is a good machine, but we only recently have local support. The LM42 pulls well, but the trencher was underpowered. When you are used to a dedicated machine so far I have had a hard time going to a mini skid. We are demoing multiple before the end of the year and at the GIE next week. The term itself SKID loader has made it not a good fit for us versus an articulated machine so far. You can't curve the trench, or pull well around corners. I've been looking at the ditch witch zaan with tracks, but I am concerned with the small gas engine and little hydraulic output. Our dingo is almost useless for irrigation work compared to our dedicated machines currently. Any opinions on SKID trenching/ plowing?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

you know my vote, I used a dingo until we got a ditchwitch 755. it is shorter than the dingo, but still longish. however, I have not found it to be a burden, plus it is of course a mini skid so it is multi purpose. I was convinced I wanted a dingo, till I demoed the sk755 DW. blew it away, the dingo is a toy compared. just my thoughts..........
Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

For Irrigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
you know my vote, I used a dingo until we got a ditchwitch 755. it is shorter than the dingo, but still longish. however, I have not found it to be a burden, plus it is of course a mini skid so it is multi purpose. I was convinced I wanted a dingo, till I demoed the sk755 DW. blew it away, the dingo is a toy compared. just my thoughts..........
Do you use it for trenching or plowing? That is probably my biggest debate between a unit like yours and the Zaan R300.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
ha, yes, i know what your vote is...but keep in mind, i'm not buying brand new, simply because i don't want to drop 30k on a machine...we can find a good used setup for about 12k...leaning towards dingo at this point because the last yard we pulled it pulled like a dream, was very impressed...i took some pictures of the roots it tore right through with no problem, much larger than i had expected

i would definitely like something shorter than the dingo, so i will prob try a few different machines, i just love the controls on the dingo...either way, leaning towards a skid at this point
Old 10-20-2013, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Irrigator View Post
Do you use it for trenching or plowing? That is probably my biggest debate between a unit like yours and the Zaan R300.
both, but don't actually have our own trencher yet. have to rent that. got a plow, bucket, and three dif augers
Old 10-20-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
ha, yes, i know what your vote is...but keep in mind, i'm not buying brand new, simply because i don't want to drop 30k on a machine...we can find a good used setup for about 12k...leaning towards dingo at this point because the last yard we pulled it pulled like a dream, was very impressed...i took some pictures of the roots it tore right through with no problem, much larger than i had expected

i would definitely like something shorter than the dingo, so i will prob try a few different machines, i just love the controls on the dingo...either way, leaning towards a skid at this point
iknow what you mean, cuz I liked the dingo overall when using one we rented. but it is pretty damn long with a plow. I would rather buy a used ditchwitch though after running both. just come up here soon, I know things are slowing down now, at least some. you can check ours out and pull some pipe with it.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey northern, I have a maxi that came with the trencher and a mini skid. We made an adapter to put the trencher on the mini skid. I like using the mini for trenching far better than with the maxi. It is so much more manuverable and the ability to have the trencher boom completely vertical is really handy for dogging valve box holes. I have never pulled with the mini but I was thinking of adapting an old maxi shaker box to go on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
iknow what you mean, cuz I liked the dingo overall when using one we rented. but it is pretty damn long with a plow. I would rather buy a used ditchwitch though after running both. just come up here soon, I know things are slowing down now, at least some. you can check ours out and pull some pipe with it.
consider it done, it's been a couple years since i've been up there anyways...

i would def say ditch witch has the best skid's over all...fairly compact, dedicated stand on unit, has great track record, and performs better than most...but if i bought one, it wouldn't be a 750/755, too new, meaning too expensive...i would consider something like the 650, maybe even 500
Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydraulic Output

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Hey northern, I have a maxi that came with the trencher and a mini skid. We made an adapter to put the trencher on the mini skid. I like using the mini for trenching far better than with the maxi. It is so much more manuverable and the ability to have the trencher boom completely vertical is really handy for dogging valve box holes. I have never pulled with the mini but I was thinking of adapting an old maxi shaker box to go on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I considered that and wondered if the hydraulic needs of the maxi trencher would match up with the mini skid. With the maxi being a 37hp diesel it appeared to me that the output may not be enough on a mini skid. I will definitely try it as I'm not going to get a ton of money out of one of the old maxis. Has anyone tried the Zaan vs a 650 ditch witch? That is going to be the two machines that we are demoing, both with tracks. Thanks for the info.