Register free!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

easy way to service stand on aerator

I am a newbee regarding the Toro/Exmark 30" stand-on aerator. I serviced my Exmark for the first time this Sunday morning by myself.

1) Changed oil:
Idled the machine for a couple minutes. Then drained the oil. (it has a very convenient drain hose). I also lifted up the right side to get all the oil out.
Then installed new oil filter and 5W-30 full synthetic motor oil (1.8 quarts).

2) Tightened ALL 6 chains. (the drive chains were the loosest). Also removed the rear faceplate.

I used a "forklift">>>
I narrowed the forks to fit just behind the front wheels and just in front of the rear wheels.
Then I raised the Exmark about 5 feet in the air so I could adjust 2 of the 6 chains.
Then I lowered it down to about 3 feet in order to adjust the other 4 chains.

3) Lubed all 6 chains (spray lube) by myself. I lowered the forklift to about 6 inches off the ground. Started up the aerator. I was able to spray all 6 chains by myself. One hand on the spray can. One hand on the forward control running it at very low speed.

4) Then I loaded it up & strapped it down on the trailer. 3 straps. (see photos) Sorry about the blurry pics, but you get the idea. The 2nd photo shows a trim aerator in front, but it's difficult to see in the photo.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish I had a forklift. I just the front up with a floor jack to get at the chains and I jack the back up and run it to lube tre chains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Grease the chains daily so that the tine shafts and the chains don't break. Keep them greased clean and tight and you should have a lot of luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
I wish I had a forklift. I just the front up with a floor jack to get at the chains and I jack the back up and run it to lube tre chains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks buddy. In the case of adjusting all 6 chains, the owner's manual says to jack up the rear end. I tried that first, but I couldn't reach all six nuts to loosen them. Ratchet wrench wouldn't fit, so I had to use an open-end wrench). Keep in mind that I had no previous experience with the machine, so I really didn't know what I was doing (kinda scared).

Then I figured I'd do what we do with our T3000's. Half the time we stand our T's "on end". The other half the time we lift it up in the air with a forklift (narrowing the forks). It all depends on what we're replacing/maintaining.

The Toro/Exmark manual is not as helpful/detailed as I think it should be. And I don't want to bug RABBITTMAN. Dealers don't seem to know squat about this machine, and I think RABBITTMAN could make a killing by publishing a user's manual. Just sayin'.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
Grease the chains daily so that the tine shafts and the chains don't break. Keep them greased clean and tight and you should have a lot of luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks GB -- wondering about the grease zerks.... Owner's manual says grease some after 25 hours. Other zerks = 50 hours. Others = 100 hours. I tried greasing them all. Most would not take grease. What's up with this?? Am I doing something wrong?? (keep in mind that I'm a rookie on this deal). thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry, I did learn a few things about the machine when using it last year. I learned to keep the chains tight & lubed. I pull off the side panels that cover the chains when adjusting and lubing them. I recommend carrying a A37 belt with you or if you do as Rabbitman says remove the fixed tensioner pulley and carry a A36 belt with you. It is an awesome machine, just has a learning curve and a little more maintenance than some machines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
Larry, I did learn a few things about the machine when using it last year. I learned to keep the chains tight & lubed. I pull off the side panels that cover the chains when adjusting and lubing them. I recommend carrying a A37 belt with you or if you do as Rabbitman says remove the fixed tensioner pulley and carry a A36 belt with you. It is an awesome machine, just has a learning curve and a little more maintenance than some machines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. Tried to find the "side panels" but wasn't sure where/what they were. I also took notes when RABBITT schooled me about the machine, but he's many grades above me. What you & he say makes sense regarding using a one inch shorter belt & bypassing the tensioner pulley. We did the same thing with our T's. All T's now have Kevlar belts. We have not replaced any kevlar belts all year long, but after a month or so, we had to run them around the tensioner pulley (original) due to stretching. Kevlar belts ROCK. imo
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone needing help just inbox me and I'll get you my number! Larry you have my number calle anytime you need help!
[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size
Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Bill, you have helped me out a lot. I have your phone number saved. Kinda funny regarding lubing the chains daily, cuz we only lube the chains on our walk-behind aerators once a year! Not smart on my end. lol
Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta admit, I dont lube my chains nearly as much as you guys are all saying. Second season with this machine and no problems. Just lucky??

I do all of my adjustments through the rear service and side panels. Nothing from the front, but love your idea with the forklift.