Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM
sr73087 sr73087 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 27
Fall Cleanup Ideas?

So I have 1.2 acres of property around my house, probably 50 % of it is wooded and the rest is partly clear with a few trees scattered here and there. Anyway I moved here last summer and fall cleanup is a nightmare. Right now I am basically just using my hand blower and blowing the leaves into a BIG pile in the woods (probably going to use them as compost but thats a different issue). This takes hours and hours to do and the worst part about it is that I cleaned everything yesterday afternoon and its covered again. I have been looking into more efficient ways of doing this, but want to here a professional opinion on the best way of going about it. I have been looking into leaf vacs, but I am concerned that I may be stuck emptying the bag 20 times before the yard is done and am unsure what kind of volume they can really pick up. Next was the idea of a backpack blower, but I wasn't really sure if this was going to be a big enough upgrade from my hand blower which is a Stihl BG 86CE. Lastly, I was thinking about a walk behind blower. I am not worried really about spending more if it is going to save my alot of time, I really just want to go about this the most time efficent way but still do the work myself.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Sprinkler Buddy's Avatar
Sprinkler Buddy Sprinkler Buddy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,010
Just push them to the tree line with the mower, You'll mulch most of them while pushing them. A lot less back work!
If the leaves are really heavy, push 1/2 the leaves closest to treeline first, then go back and push the rest over what you had already done to the tree line also.

Last edited by Sprinkler Buddy; 10-20-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 PM
sr73087 sr73087 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 27
Thats what I planned on doing but it may be too many leaves for the mower just over the course of a week.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Sprinkler Buddy's Avatar
Sprinkler Buddy Sprinkler Buddy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,010
When they are really falling, it may require it done more often. They fall off rather quickly, stay on top of it and you'll thank yourself soon enough. Hire it out a time or two if you need a break. Always a guy out their looking for a quick buck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 PM
RSK Property Maintenance's Avatar
RSK Property Maintenance RSK Property Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester,CT
Posts: 1,464
well depending on how detailed your landscaping is a stihl b600 will help you a lot, then maybe a little wonder or billy goat push blower, or depending on what kind of mower you have maybe a jrco leaf plow, or depending on how much money you are willing to spend maybe a hurricane 314 ride on blower. I don't know how deep your pockets go, but those will all speed up this job by a lot! a br600 will save you hours over a small stihl hand held blower, but a 9hp or bigger little wonder or billy goat will move even more leaves even quicker, but once you get a pile about 2' high both blower are pretty much useless. so then a jrco leaf plow or dropping the deck on zero turn mower and just pushing the pile into the woods will speed things up a lot. then use the walk behind blower to clean up whats left, and that should save you hours and hours of clean up time. or shell out the money for ride on hydrostatic leaf blower like the hurricane 314 that moves 5000cfm and you back will thank you, your wife will too! you will be able to blow piles 3-4' tall quickly too. but they cost $$$$. good luck!
__________________
fully lic. and ins. 10yrs exp.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 AM
wildstarblazer's Avatar
wildstarblazer wildstarblazer is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 760
Why not just use a riding mower with a mulching plate on the chute, mow weekly and blow any remaining leaves into a pile for composting.until the leaves stop falling.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Bagit's Avatar
Bagit Bagit is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: virginia
Posts: 200
Mulch 'n blow! Or just blow with a much more powerful backpack blower.
__________________
01 F150
6.5'X10' High Side Trailer
Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ
21" Craftsman push
AH230 Shindaiwa Long Shaft Hedge Trimmer
AHS242 Shindaiwa Short Shaft Hedge Trimmer
Two Stihl BR600 Backpack Blowers
Two Stihl FS80R Grass Trimmers
SG20 Stihl Sprayer
Numerous Handtools
36" Wright Stander(Sold)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM
RSK Property Maintenance's Avatar
RSK Property Maintenance RSK Property Maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester,CT
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
Why not just use a riding mower with a mulching plate on the chute, mow weekly and blow any remaining leaves into a pile for composting.until the leaves stop falling.
leaves are to thick for that to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagit View Post
Mulch 'n blow! Or just blow with a much more powerful backpack blower.
up north the leaves get very thick in heavily wooded areas especially PA. so mulching them probably wouldn't work too well.
__________________
fully lic. and ins. 10yrs exp.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM
sr73087 sr73087 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
Why not just use a riding mower with a mulching plate on the chute, mow weekly and blow any remaining leaves into a pile for composting.until the leaves stop falling.

I have been told by a few guys at local mower supply that most of the walk behind and riding mower end up just making a mess. Are some better than others or is it more of a matter of having the mulching blade on there?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:57 PM
sr73087 sr73087 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
well depending on how detailed your landscaping is a stihl b600 will help you a lot, then maybe a little wonder or billy goat push blower, or depending on what kind of mower you have maybe a jrco leaf plow, or depending on how much money you are willing to spend maybe a hurricane 314 ride on blower. I don't know how deep your pockets go, but those will all speed up this job by a lot! a br600 will save you hours over a small stihl hand held blower, but a 9hp or bigger little wonder or billy goat will move even more leaves even quicker, but once you get a pile about 2' high both blower are pretty much useless. so then a jrco leaf plow or dropping the deck on zero turn mower and just pushing the pile into the woods will speed things up a lot. then use the walk behind blower to clean up whats left, and that should save you hours and hours of clean up time. or shell out the money for ride on hydrostatic leaf blower like the hurricane 314 that moves 5000cfm and you back will thank you, your wife will too! you will be able to blow piles 3-4' tall quickly too. but they cost $$$$. good luck!
Thanks alot for all the ideas. I will do my research and let you know how it turns out. This is just what I needed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.07069 seconds with 9 queries