Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Open trailers all the way.

Versatility, ease of access, visibility/safety, cost, and rebuildability. Ever try to rebuild an enclosed trailer?

Only pluses I can think of for an enclosed are, security for your handhelds, and hiding whats in the trailer (and how well its tied down) from the DOT. Rolling billboard can be a plus or minus depending on your situation. Keeping your equipment dry without unloading is another one.

Its a personal preference thing I guess.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We run enclosed trailer. Bought a open last season and sold it the end of the season. We got tired of taking all the handhelds off every night pulling 3 mowers off. With our enclosed trailers they stay loaded so no forgetting a tool at the shop. Can get to trimmer or blowers in seconds from the back gate. No prying eyes. Also hauling plants and trees you don't want them exposed to the wind. We had a enclosed on the road for 5 years and haven't had to do any repairs,just normal upkeep for any trailer. The open trailer we had looked like hell after the one year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd love an enclosed - they look cleaner, can hold great signage, no worries about rain, theft, etc.

But in Spring, we do alot of cleanups and need to haul mulch. No way around it, I need open trailers. I don't understand what those guys with the slick looking enclosed trailers do when they need 3 or 4 yds of mulch - get it delivered ? Kills your profit, forces you to be there at a set time to accept delivery, shovel mulch off the street, come up short, or long ?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Feenan View Post
I'd love an enclosed - they look cleaner, can hold great signage, no worries about rain, theft, etc.

But in Spring, we do alot of cleanups and need to haul mulch. No way around it, I need open trailers. I don't understand what those guys with the slick looking enclosed trailers do when they need 3 or 4 yds of mulch - get it delivered ? Kills your profit, forces you to be there at a set time to accept delivery, shovel mulch off the street, come up short, or long ?
Us guys with slick enclosed like me have dump trucks to haul mulch and debris.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run all open trailers. Each night we place all of our equipment inside my shop and in the morning load it up again.

Each night my guys blow off each mower to clean the clippings off, and each morning when my guys re-load my guys check the air pressure on all of the tires, mowers, trucks and trailers.

It does add about 10 mins in the morning and 10 min in the evening but its proved to be well worth it in catching low tire psi before we even leave the shop.

As far as rain, if its going to rain a ton during the day we wouldn't be out in it any way.

Also open trailers are about a third of the price. Open 18' around $3k and an 18' enclosed, a good one not a cheap made trailer is about $9-10k around here.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

It's called getting a dump bed insert. That's how you get the mulch.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have different crews for landscaping and grass cutting. The landscape crew uses a F-550 with a 12' Aluminum dump. My commercial grass crew uses the above stated rig.

Ive heard good things about the dump insets if you are using one truck for landscaping and grass cutting.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is one real negative to the open trailers that my idiot employee reminded me of so eloquently on Saturday. That's if you don't properly pin your weedwacker in an enclosed it just falls inside it may get damaged but you don't lose it. That said I got to buy a brand new stihl fs 100rx today because a certain employee got distracted and didn't pin the one that this trimmer is replacing.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

HTML Code:
How much mulch can you fit in a dump insert ?
Old 10-22-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
HTML Code:
How much mulch can you fit in a dump insert ?
4 yards of mulch.