Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Fall already? How do you feel about it?

I'll go a head and say it fall isn't my favorite time of the year in this business, only in part because it slows the time it takes me to cut. What I mean is having to clean up after the cut but not do a full clean up. The other part of it is because it takes a while for the all the leafs to come down. This season I just picked up a new to me truck so I don't really have capital to invest in a high capacity leaf loading system. Fall clean ups just take so long. I should probably ad I am a one man company.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch kit. Thank me very much
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Member

You should be charging for your services. If it takes you longer, Bill for your efforts.
This is why this whole industry is failing. Customers are not paying for what the services are really worth.
It is truly OK to make a profit, otherwise dont do the extra service.
I love the fall, one of the most profitable times of the year for me.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike NY View Post
You should be charging for your services. If it takes you longer, Bill for your efforts.
This is why this whole industry is failing. Customers are not paying for what the services are really worth.
It is truly OK to make a profit, otherwise dont do the extra service.
I love the fall, one of the most profitable times of the year for me.
Hit it on the head.

You should be getting paid for the extra time spent. Fall cleanups we bill out $80-$100 / man hour compared to 50/mh for mowing. Why? $3000 leaf loader, dump truck, triple the gas, tons more work. etc etc.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of customers I've dealt with in my area don't want the leaves mulched with a mower. They want them completely up from their lawn. The option of mulching them up is out of the question. A lot of people won't even let a mower touch their property. They want them blown and completely taken away.

Last year was pretty rough for leaf removals. It was myself and a helper and we had two big backpack blowers and tarps to start with. I only had a 4X6 trailer so two big tarps was max. Our idea was to get the leaves onto the tarps and then tie the tarps up to hold them. Kind of looks like a big tomato once tied up. Towards the end of the season I invested in a leaf loader and it was a tailgate mount so I placed it on the tailgate and boarded up my truck bed. It worked great but emptying the truck bed was horrible and very time consuming. The leaf loader packed it so well it was like a brick wall. We tried everything to empty it but came to the conclusion the only option is to have a dump trailer set up. I personally don't have the place to keep a dump trailer and I use my bed for a skid sprayer now so a dump bed wouldn't be an option.

This year I have a 6X12 so I'll be able put more tarps on it. We plan to utilize the tarp method again instead of wrestling with a leaf loader. I thought about setting it up to my 6X12 but the issue is still how to unload all the leaves. I do not have a tractor or anything to put something under to just pull them out plus where we dump at I can't keep a tractor or something there.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

use a pitchfork to unload the trailer/truck after the leaf loader packs it in tight. short of a dump trailer, that's the best way to unload them...
Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like fall because it is a very profitable season for me. Plus it is hunting season! I hate the fact that warm weather is no longer here and won't be outside much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
A lot of customers I've dealt with in my area don't want the leaves mulched with a mower. They want them completely up from their lawn. The option of mulching them up is out of the question. A lot of people won't even let a mower touch their property. They want them blown and completely taken away.

Last year was pretty rough for leaf removals. It was myself and a helper and we had two big backpack blowers and tarps to start with. I only had a 4X6 trailer so two big tarps was max. Our idea was to get the leaves onto the tarps and then tie the tarps up to hold them. Kind of looks like a big tomato once tied up. Towards the end of the season I invested in a leaf loader and it was a tailgate mount so I placed it on the tailgate and boarded up my truck bed. It worked great but emptying the truck bed was horrible and very time consuming. The leaf loader packed it so well it was like a brick wall. We tried everything to empty it but came to the conclusion the only option is to have a dump trailer set up. I personally don't have the place to keep a dump trailer and I use my bed for a skid sprayer now so a dump bed wouldn't be an option.

This year I have a 6X12 so I'll be able put more tarps on it. We plan to utilize the tarp method again instead of wrestling with a leaf loader. I thought about setting it up to my 6X12 but the issue is still how to unload all the leaves. I do not have a tractor or anything to put something under to just pull them out plus where we dump at I can't keep a tractor or something there.
Haven't you heard of the pallet idea? Stick a pallet standing up hooked to Chain. When ready to dump hook chain to tree and drive forward
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
Hit it on the head.

You should be getting paid for the extra time spent. Fall cleanups we bill out $80-$100 / man hour compared to 50/mh for mowing. Why? $3000 leaf loader, dump truck, triple the gas, tons more work. etc etc.
Could you break this part "Fall cleanups we bill out $80-$100 / man hour compared to 50/mh for mowing. " down to me, I didn't really understand all of it

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26 View Post
Could you break this part "Fall cleanups we bill out $80-$100 / man hour compared to 50/mh for mowing. " down to me, I didn't really understand all of it

Efficiency. After going out the last few weeks it's more toward the $70 range. Some much more, some little les s. Efficiency is why you buy a 60" ztr, a leaf loader, dump truck, backpack blower etc. Say you charge 50 per mh for a 10k mower. Should you charge the same hourly for one with a 2k bagger, 3k leaf loader, dump truck, $600 blower? Heck no.
Posted via Mobile Device