The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Trailer or Dump Truck
Trailer 4 19.05%
Dump Truck 17 80.95%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you're loading by hand, pull the sides off. I fold mine down all the time to load by hand.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this is a good thread. I use a 6X10 dump trailer with 4' raised sides but sometimes I want it to be longer.. since my max tow capacity is 7k im kind of limited also.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

This is a great thread, I was having the same dilemma for the past couple months.

Personally, I'd go with a dump trailer. I'm currently in the market. If you do go for the trailer I'd look for something bigger than a 10 footer. I'm looking for a 7x12 for myself.

Less maintenance, you can use it as a dumpster, haul a skidsteer in it, you could raise the sides of up to 4ft if you wanted which on a 7x12 would be enough to fit 12 yards or so. I have a similar truck setup to you right now, 2500 chevy and no dump. Having one more truck to maintain and insure could turn into a pain in the arse.

To be fair, the pros of having a dump truck that I considered, besides what was already mentioned about having to tow the trailer, is if you plow snow, or need a back up truck for any reason, you'd have one. But to answer your question, I do see a dump truck as a greater expense.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if/how well a small-medium sized skidsteer would fit in a 6x12 dump trailer? Considering width and weight capacity.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We put a t190 in a 7x12 brimar a couple of times before we bought a deckover. It's dose work but to get it balanced out is a pain
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I carried a mini excavator (4,500) in my bri mar dump with the landscape gate it did fine. its a 10k trailer. my truck almost lifted of the ground when it was coming up the ramp, but it worked fine.

To the main point, I have 1/2ton and dump trailer. the issue im having and can see getting worse is having all my equipment in my trailer - like mower, walk behind blower, or a dingo or something, then having leaves or other debris to clean up. when the trailer starts getting more full its kind of difficult. Or when I have mulch and I need to take my equipment with me. Then I wish I had a bigger truck bed to put the materials / debris in and carry my equipment on my trailer. This is mostly its for fall cleanups / bigger projects. Just mowing is fine obviously it works out well.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That dodge seems a little pricey for 244k miles on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in the same place as you are, I went with a dump trailer, and I went with 7x14 lphd from brimar with 14k gvw. and I added sides to it, so I can hold 12 yards of mulch easy. I do a decent amount of brush clearing and tree removal so mine is loaded with wood all the time, so a dump trailer made more sense for me. even mowing in the fall with the bagger system I dump the bags into the trailer and put the mower in when im done, and I can fit the clippings and leaves from about 18 yards in the trailer and still fit the mower in, a dump truck has its place and I wouldn't mine picking up a dump truck for leaf removal but its not necessary especially being solo, and not having an employees yet, and as far a mulch goes, I had 7 yards in it 4 months back and had it tilted up a good amount and just worked out of the wheel barrow like I would a dump truck, and cleaned up what didn't make the wheel barrow and left when I was done, I also was able disconnect which literally takes 2 mins and I left for lunch. easy to hook up to and easy to and quick to disconnect. once you start hooking up to a trailer 3-5 times a week you get pretty good especially after 10 years of practice.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I've always had dump trucks but I recently bought a dump trailer. It's a 12' cam low pro with 4' metal side and a tarp system. The barn doors have extensions too. It will hold 17 yds. I'm finding that I can leave a person with a lazer on a site all day and pick them up at the end of the day and still get other jobs done while my other guys are out mowing with the dump truck. I tow it with my 2500 HD. After having the trailer for a while I would say get both. They both have there places. But for me it's nice being able to drop it off at a site and pick it up at the end of the day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
trailers , trucks