Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
not in my area. middle unit townhouses are right in that range. wider open easier access jobs / higher Sqft are in the 15-17 range.

Market drives the prices
Sir - you are dead wrong in this post and your previous post.

MARKET DOES NOT NECESSARILY DRIVE PRICE. A contractor's competency and great reputation accompanied by a well executed and thorough sales presentation will override the "market". Effective Selling is a refined skill.

Assuming you're not a Craigslist Special - there is no such thing as "1/2 a day" job. In the 17 yrs I have been a hardscape contractor we have NEVER done a job from start to finish in half a day. (half a day is 5 hrs or less, what exactly is half a day?). Loading the truck with materials. driving to the job. unloading. doing the work. cleaning up. driving back. etc.

It is impossible for you to get all the tools and equipment to the job, the pavers, the sands, yes plural, the aggregate, haul away spoils, haul away the tools and equipment, left over pavers, unload the left overs and scraps, etc in one day. multiple trucks to one small job as I often see?? Not good business instinct, only the state highway crews can send out multiple trucks to clean up one dead deer.

There is no way you will successfully argue this on this forum, the veterans will not agree

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
$1900 for a 100 SF. Seems fair. Should take a half day. $38000 for a driveway is a bit high.

Can you educate us all and describe exactly how this is completed in one 1/2 day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

MARKET DOES NOT NECESSARILY DRIVE PRICE. A contractor's competency and great reputation accompanied by a well executed and thorough sales presentation will override the "market". Effective Selling is a refined skill.
Yes and no. In the DC market I'm generally seeing irregular flagstone on a new concrete slab north of $30/sq ft. When I sold in Phoenix, everyone on my sales team lost their minds when the boss upped the price from $11/sq ft to $13. I'd love to see the value proposition that'll sell patios in AZ at DC prices.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

DVS..... I did get to see your post before it was scrubbed ...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
$1900 for a 100 SF. Seems fair. Should take a day and a half. $38000 for a driveway is a bit high.
Reason for edit: typo
Old 10-22-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

To the op, I think you will learn quickly about how to price work, this is your first and you can make good money, but pricing by unit will get you in trouble one day. Learn your costs to run the business and to make a profit, then go from there.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Sir - you are dead wrong in this post and your previous post.

Assuming you're not a Craigslist Special - there is no such thing as "1/2 a day" job. In the 17 yrs I have been a hardscape contractor we have NEVER done a job from start to finish in half a day. (half a day is 5 hrs or less, what exactly is half a day?). Loading the truck with materials. driving to the job. unloading. doing the work. cleaning up. driving back. etc.

It is impossible for you to get all the tools and equipment to the job, the pavers, the sands, yes plural, the aggregate, haul away spoils, haul away the tools and equipment, left over pavers, unload the left overs and scraps, etc in one day. multiple trucks to one small job as I often see?? Not good business instinct, only the state highway crews can send out multiple trucks to clean up one dead deer.

There is no way you will successfully argue this on this forum, the veterans will not agree
Dead on, agree 100%
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
One of the first things I would like to comment on is that your profile doesn't say where you are from. Not that one can't lie, I realize that. I'm a veteran contractor. Do I want to sit here and type for 40 minutes only to help my competition that is 4 miles down the road??

When asking for help - please be willing to share who you are, where you're from etc.

Never unit price a job as Dependable posted. never.

You can click on my user name which will take you into my profile.

And from there you can do a search. I have written extensively on how to price work, why, why not, and yadda yadda yadda. Do a search via my user name and you'll find everything and anything you need to know. And it's accurate information derived from experience and wisdom, not theory.

best of luck!

Absolutely nothing wrong with pricing by sq ft. In my opinion .
Glad to hear your views. But not in a condecending manner.
Good luck to all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
estimate , paver patios