Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbotsford View Post
I don't understand why people want striping. To me striping is either a symptom of a lawn cut too long, or a lawn that has too much space between grass plants. Right after mowing, yeah, you will see some evidence of the mower passing, but within half a day, you should be unable to tell which way the mower passed over the lawn.
A lot of us can stripe under 2inches. Some of our mowers can't help but stripe.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I don't understand why people want striping. To me striping is either a symptom of a lawn cut too long, or a lawn that has too much space between grass plants. Right after mowing, yeah, you will see some evidence of the mower passing, but within half a day, you should be unable to tell which way the mower passed over the lawn.
Because striping looks nice on a lawn. otherwise, you just have a yard with half the yard dark from one pass direction, and the other half light from an opposite pass direction. that looks poor IMO, and like someone who either doesn't know how to do it correctly, or is too lazy to try to do it at all. Either that, or they could care less how their work and/or customers lawns look, and are only interested in making as much money as they can. The thing about that attitude around here, is that they won't be making as much as they can for very long.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Right after mowing, yeah, you will see some evidence of the mower passing, but within half a day, you should be unable to tell which way the mower passed over the lawn.
Simply not true. I can see my stripes for a week. Maybe because I have a healthy lawn and a mower with an exceptional striper?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
A lot of us can stripe under 2inches. Some of our mowers can't help but stripe.
This is true, along with the fact about northern grasses striping better. I used to live in NE Ohio, and nothing stripes better than fescue. Here in Atlanta, bermuda is near impossible to stripe. Zoysia stripes fair, Centipede a little bit better, and St. Augustine stripes awesome.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com