Register free!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Attention!! PLUGR 850 Owners

I am trying to figure out if I am the only one having issues with the tines slipping and constantly needing adjustment. I had the PLUGR 800 and I never made an adjustment, now with the 850 I am making up to 3 adjustments a day. The adjustment I am talking about is the slack adjuster connected to the pulley that puts tension on the belts to engage the tines.

Any feedback on this issue is appreciated.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

once in awhile

I own an 850HD also and have had to make adjustments, but never 3 times in a day. I usually adjust it before going out for the day. I'm not familiar with the other models, so I can't comment. When I first got my 850, I thought that one of the two belts that drive the tines was slightly larger than the other.(although both were the same manufacture and part number) I sent an email to Source One and was answered by the distributor in Virginia Beach. He told me that my dealer would be happy to replace my belts and then we talked about the 850 itself. He mentioned that belt adjustment was a common problem and that he has suggested to Source One that the belt tensioner arm needs to be about 1/2 inch longer. I absolutely agree. This would put more tension and leverage against the belts with the pulley. I also had an issue with the "Step-Saver". The 850HD was never designed to pull a sulky type vehicle and I was not happy with it. The front wheel drive of the 850 just won't hack it. I'm sending mine back for a refund.(my dealer said no problem) By the way, I never replaced my belts. As I've put more hours on the machine, they both seem to have "adjusted" to each other. Having said all of this, I do love this machine. It does everything I expected. I just think that it has room for improvement.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought an 850. What would you say is the best way to get a high volume of work in tight areas?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Member

onebreezer, not sure that I understand your question. Can you define?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

marketing

Does anyone know of anyone who has marketed core aeration in a way to get ten to twenty jobs a day five to six days a week in a very tight geographic area? I thought that I would have a part time scheduler go door to door. Knock on each door at around 5o pm. Talk to anyone who is home and schedule jobs for the same day a week later. For those who are not home place a 4"x4" sign on a plastic stake in the lawn next to the driveway. He will return after 6 pm to each home where the card is missing. If the card's missing it means they're home and have received the card so he can re-knock and sell it. The card will have: business name, phone number, web address, and job price. I have printed 1000 cards and have 1500 plastic lawn stakes. Each person that he sells will get a job date and a pack of wire irrigation flags to mark heads.

Has any one done anything like this successfully?
Old 11-24-2007, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

The first week was a nightmare ... constant adjustment every reason was given belt-paint on the pulley now we are down to once a week or about every 40-50 lawns...we have the step saver as well and it seems to be ok ..
Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dunno, but I have had an 850 now for a couple of years and never had to adjust anything.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

have had to make adjsutments too

we bought ours for this years season of pluggin it up, and i found it did not take long to need to tighten the belts for the tines cause they had stretched. this is understandable, but aftera while(several lawns later) i smelled the wonderful aroma of buring rubber. yep a belt. it was rubbing on the bolt that hold the idler pulley for the same belts. confused, but i did manage to resolve the issue by putting spacers in place. i dont feel i should have had to deal with this but i guess whatever works. has anyone had any similar problems. i also feel that there is no middle ground for the tension on these same belts, either they are too lose and slip especially in turns and hills, or they are too tight and never shut off and you almost dont need to engage witht he handle. anyone have thoughts and knowledge?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's not uncommon to have to fiddle with the belt adjustment until they settle down. Iím reviving this thread for Toro44ís benefit.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
It's not uncommon to have to fiddle with the belt adjustment until they settle down. Iím reviving this thread for Toro44ís benefit.

Posted via Mobile Device