Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

kohler 26 hp efi question!

Is the throttle valve arm(?) suposed to rest against the idle screw when at idle... Mine is not and i am trying to do an ecu reset and tps procedure... The mower runs great while under load. Its a 2000 Exmark Z. I have just replaced every sensor on the engine because of a "run rich" problem that it has. 1500 hours, compression @180 on both sides and fuel psi at 39-40(new pump and filter). I think I found the service port at the rear of the mower( tiny thing) , but i dont feel that i am doing the tps procedure right because there are no blinking lights when i think im done. Mil has no codes ... Always 61.... Any help would be fantastic
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddleradv View Post
Is the throttle valve arm(?) suposed to rest against the idle screw when at idle... Mine is not and i am trying to do an ecu reset and tps procedure... The mower runs great while under load. Its a 2000 Exmark Z. I have just replaced every sensor on the engine because of a "run rich" problem that it has. 1500 hours, compression @180 on both sides and fuel psi at 39-40(new pump and filter). I think I found the service port at the rear of the mower( tiny thing) , but i dont feel that i am doing the tps procedure right because there are no blinking lights when i think im done. Mil has no codes ... Always 61.... Any help would be fantastic
Mine does not(Walker mower 26 EFI) and the only reason I am aware of it is because I just replaced the throttle cable.

Not sure if this will help you,but,here's a pdf that contains some issues that early exmark EFI's had.Theres an updated temp sensor kit to keep water from getting into the connector which would corrode terminals sending false signals to the computer keepnig it in open loop.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Kohl.../364536868.pdf
Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

You know.... That could be it! I will give it a try and thank you!!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The throttle shaft must be against the stop and can't be moved during initialization.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You know.... That could be it! I will give it a try and thank you!!

You are welcome,let us know what you find.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on which version of ECU you have will depend on if you need to lock the throttle shaft or not at 1500 RPM.

On the 32 Pin - MSE 1.1 Bosch ECU you do not need to lock the throttle shaft against the stop screw.

On the 35 Pin - MA 1.7 Bosch ECU and the 24 Pin MSE 1.0 Bosch ECU, they both require the throttle shaft to be held against the stop screw at 1500 RPM...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TPS Initialization - Bosch.pdf (43.2 KB, 31 views)

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

It's the metal case ECU and if i close the throttle valve to the piont where it is resting on the set screw it will shut the engine off!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It's the metal case ECU and if i close the throttle valve to the piont where it is resting on the set screw it will shut the engine off!
Did you follow the specific steps in order as outlined in the "TPS Initialization" PDF I posted above for your specific ECU?

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I started to today but I was called away. I will try again tomorrow and thanks for your help!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't adjust the idle by the idle screw. Screw is all the way in and i still does not touch the throttle lever... Does that mean something else is out of adjustment?