Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I figure 1000 lbs for a yard of mulch. Less if it's dry, but it's rarely dry in Spring when i need mulch every day.

Are you putting 3-4000 lbs on a pickup ?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies.

NYH1.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
There is one real negative to the open trailers that my idiot employee reminded me of so eloquently on Saturday. That's if you don't properly pin your weedwacker in an enclosed it just falls inside it may get damaged but you don't lose it. That said I got to buy a brand new stihl fs 100rx today because a certain employee got distracted and didn't pin the one that this trimmer is replacing.
This is what is scaring me from the switch. Every time I here a clang or bang I loom back and expect to see $300+ in equipment flying down the road... But I love my new open trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you got a garage to put your truck an trailer in, an open trailer is the only way to go.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

any open trailer is cheaper, but the reason most go with an open trailer atleast in the first 4-5 years is the versatility, you put the mower(s) trimmers, and blowers on it to do the lawns, then take them off go pick up 5-10 yards of mulch depending on the trailer, spread that then go cut down a 45ft maple if you do tree work and put all that on the trailer and haul everything away if you have to, yes unloading it by hand sucks but its better then turning down the 800 or 900 dollar tree because you have an enclosed trailer and it would be a complete pain in the ass to load brush, and logs into that. then once you get a little more established you might own a dump truck for hauling debris/mulch/ leaves or a dump insert or dump trailer or all 3. I'd like to get an enclosed trailer like a 22' v nose aluminum one, but I literally just bought my open trailer this spring, and while I would probably keep it, it wouldn't get used nearly as much once I get an enclosed which i want to get a full wrap on.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yea the cheaper part is not always true either, my open 20 is around $7500 and my open 16 is around $5000. You get what you pay for. Some have round stock for frames the next level up is angle iron mine are 2 inch square stock. Ones 11 years old ones 12 years old and not a dent on any of them they are built like tanks. This is one of them with the floor off when I last painted and worked on them.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I love my open trailer everything is locked and organized I bought the 6x12 and welded on plenty of extra things to make it work for me..
Old 10-23-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I love my 6x12 I bought it used and added a lot of add ons to it myself to make it work for me..everything is locked and has its own place..
Old 10-24-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
There is one real negative to the open trailers that my idiot employee reminded me of so eloquently on Saturday. That's if you don't properly pin your weedwacker in an enclosed it just falls inside it may get damaged but you don't lose it. That said I got to buy a brand new stihl fs 100rx today because a certain employee got distracted and didn't pin the one that this trimmer is replacing.
You need to get an Extreme Rack from Green Touch. No pins to mess with and waste your time installing or removing it from the rack. You could put it in the rack with one hand if you had to. It's as close to idiot proof as it gets.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

unless you need to have your equipment stored inside something then there is no need for an enclosed trailer.
Its not only worse on fuel but is also much harder on tires. plus you can't put brush in it and get it back out as easy.

I use an enclosed but I don't want my equipment out in the weather all the time. there is a tiny bit of extra security with an enclosed trailer. those 2 things and maybe being able to have some shelves and a tool box inside a tiny garage on wheels are the benifits. MAybe looks a little more professional. especially if you have a nice looking wrap. attracts customers.