Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Glad I missed it. Time to use the ignore button.........just added, like magic he is now gone.
i think im gonna follow suit...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Why are the zines restricted in the summer months, what possible negative effects would one see? Just wondering.
A non irrigated lawn can burn up and not recover for the rest of the summer.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I know that in grassmasterwilson's location, it is turning from fall into winter. It sure isn't hot and cloudy where he is. Triazines are not the same in warm, sunny weather. Guess that is why there are now specific dates when they may be applied. Although I never had a problem with simazine or atrazine between June and September before there were date restrictions. Now why would someone apply that at that time of year? How about because those products are safe on newly plugged or sprigged grasses. Unlike Ronstar, which cannot be used on residential lawns or the DNA herbicides which will prune the roots off of the new grass. Or that if applied with the now restricted MSMA, it was a very good treatment for grassy weeds that also broke the cycle of those grassy weeds re taking a newly controlled area that did not inhibit tack down of zoysia or bermuda stolons crawling in from surrounding areas.
One thing I noticed with my recent app of simazine is that it really knocked out the crab left from summer. When you used to use it in the summer did it have a good effect on crab? I know it's on the label just didn't expect to see a strong response.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure did. No damage to the turf, but damage and eventual removal of targeted weeds. That was combined with Image for removal of grassy weeds from grasses that could not be treated with MSMA. I added MSMA to that mix for treatment of bermuda and zoysia. No such thing as strange grasses that could not be selectively removed. Things do not work the same on a non irrigated, minimally fertilized lawn. I am so thankful that the SU herbicides became broadly labeled. In my state, just as MSMA was going away, atrazine and simazine became highly restricted. I understand in many states, simazine is not named as a state RUP. In Hawaii, it is.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One more thing to note. Triazines are also affected by soil pH. They become more mobile and persistent in alkaline soils vs acid soils. 2 lb simazine is rather hot on pH 7.5 soil. Atrazine can become unusable, too much risk to surrounding trees. I know someone who cooked trees growing in the lawn with simazine. No, he was not a jackwagon that could not do math. It was because the herbicide leached down in alkaline soil.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
One more thing to note. Triazines are also affected by soil pH. They become more mobile and persistent in alkaline soils vs acid soils. 2 lb simazine is rather hot on pH 7.5 soil. Atrazine can become unusable, too much risk to surrounding trees. I know someone who cooked trees growing in the lawn with simazine. No, he was not a jackwagon that could not do math. It was because the herbicide leached down in alkaline soil.
Fortunately all my soils are acidic