Register free!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fescue Fert after fall seeding in transition zone

So we got all seeded before mid October this year and applied a 48% srn starter feet at seeding.

We normally follow up with 1 lb srn around thanksgiving per our university suggestions.

How long after seeding do you fescue guys wait til the next Fert? Our ground will not freeze but fescue will stop growing around late November or early December.

Our fall app is mostly to keep color and come late janurary I start seeing some yellowing due to lack of nutrients and/or cold. I wonder if bumping up my fall fert will help with plant and root development?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
So we got all seeded before mid October this year and applied a 48% srn starter feet at seeding.

We normally follow up with 1 lb srn around thanksgiving per our university suggestions.

How long after seeding do you fescue guys wait til the next Fert? Our ground will not freeze but fescue will stop growing around late November or early December.

Our fall app is mostly to keep color and come late janurary I start seeing some yellowing due to lack of nutrients and/or cold. I wonder if bumping up my fall fert will help with plant and root development?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm in zone 7. I do a starter fert 18-24-5 with over seeding early Sept, 4 weeks later I do a 24-5-11 with iron and 4 weeks after that I do a 32-8-5. Grass really stays green for a while.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
I'm in zone 7. I do a starter fert 18-24-5 with over seeding early Sept, 4 weeks later I do a 24-5-11 with iron and 4 weeks after that I do a 32-8-5. Grass really stays green for a while.
Thanks. Grass has germinated great this year and really hoping for good weather to promote riot growth.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Thanks. Grass has germinated great this year and really hoping for good weather to promote riot growth.
Oh yeah, been great here, nice and cool. Had some rain after spreading the seed and it's finally stopped.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After overseeding around september 15th ish or so I recommend applying fertilizer again in early to mid December. Then the next application in the fall in February.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
After overseeding around september 15th ish or so I recommend applying fertilizer again in early to mid December. Then the next application in the fall in February.
Not sure about where you live, but here in zone 7 it has always been recommended by nurseries, and all the county extension agents to follow the "SON Program." September, October, November. That's the only time you should be applying Nitrogen to fescue.

Under the title FERTILITY in the link below.

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-520/430-520.html
Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There are sod farmers who fertilize once a month in NC for Oct, Nov and Dec. Zone 8
Old 10-26-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

starter fert (slow release)

Are you guys using a slow release starter fertilizer? JDL (Lesco) used to offer a 18-24-12 in a 50% Slow release granular; not sure if it's still available since the JDL buy-out but that's all I used to buy during over seeding/aeration season.
It done away with all the follow-up applications until late December when some people apply the last app of the year (Winterizer)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've been doing my starter at seeding which is usually October. Then 1 lb n in November and feburary.

Germination has been great this year and thought about applying a higher dose of srn 30-6-10 50% with my fall app. Maybe even bumping it up a few weeks to try for better establishment before winter.

Fescue is my acheles heal and I don't have a lot of success or those who wish to spend the adequate money to keep it alive.
Posted via Mobile Device